1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. wojt

wojt Senior member

I was disappointed JJ didn't write anything new but came up with alternate universe- super lame shit, we had Kirk we had Picard there was room for another hero

I've watched whole TOS, all movies and whole New generation, stupid assholes could come up with something of their own, Shatner wasn't headed for academy awards with his acting but there's gonna be only one Kirk sorry, he made that character real. Also Spock-Jim-Mccoy dynamic is irreplaceable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    They moved forward with the reboot precisely so they could tell stories with the original crew. Paramount wanted it and I am sure it was part of the condition for bringing JJ on board. I'm sure he liked the idea too, but I don't see how the blame for this decision can fall on his feet.

I suspect the new Trek tv show will follow a new crew. That's the place to open up and cover completely new grounds.

For all the faults of the reboot treks, casting wasn't one of them. They nailed Kirk, Spock and Bones IMO.

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Stop shitting up your SW thread with ST!

3 people like this.
  4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Need to see it again, but some initial thoughts.

Pros:
    -The new cast is fantastic especially Daisy Ridley.
    -The dialogue was very funny between Han and Finn.
    -Highlight scene: Lightsaber rattling in the snow (hello ESB) and then bypassing Kylo to Rey. Have to admit I started applauding.
    -Kylo kicks Finn's ass; Rey kicks Kylo's ass.
    -Chewie going ape shit on Ben Solo and storm troopers.
    -Flashback when Rey picks up Luke's lightsaber. (but could be a con because that sequence may make a better movie).
    -The ending.

Cons:
    -Death Star 3
    -Not enough OT music.
    -Way too early, non-dramatic reveal of Kylo's parents.
    -Oh hey, the Millenium Falcon just happens to be right where we need it to be.
    -Oh hey, Han and Chewie just happen to be traveling at this point in infinite space to pick up Falcon.
    -Oh hey, R2D2 just turned on and solves everything.
    -Forced romance between Finn and Rey.
    -Carrie Fischer

2 people like this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

These were the really big irritants for me - the Millenium Falcon just happened to be sitting on a desert planet (remarkably similar to Tattooine) in the middle of nowhere; then they just happened to run into Han and Chewie while in the MF; and the "reveal" of R2D2 was really quite forced - it just happened to be sitting in a corner of the Resistance base, covered by a dustcloth, waiting for BB8 to reveal it? Then, after being in "low power" mode for some years, since Luke vanished, it just happens to miraculously turn on when everyone needs it to? The coincidences were far too forced for my tastes.

Also, the whole "map to Skywalker" thing irritated me a bit. In the previous movies, people have spoken about galactic co-ordinates - like a galactic form of latitude and longitude. If Luke wanted to let people know where he was, he didn't need to create a map with various sections setting out a trail, he just needed to provide co-ordinates. After all, co-ordinates tell you where to go, even if you don't know what's actually there, so if Luke wanted people to find him, he didn't need to provide a dotted line passing through multiple solar systems - he just needed to provide the co-ordinates of the final destination!

2 people like this.
  6. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I thought Luke was in uncharted space which is why the coordinates wouldn't work and they needed a map to show how to get to the uncharted territory. BB8's piece showed where Luke is while R2D2 showed the path to get there.

7. Jr Mouse

Didn't they establish that Han and Chewie were in the area looking for the MF? Unless i'm mistaken they knew it was on the planet but were not sure who was in position of it at that exact moment. They were not just randomly hanging out near the one planet in the whole galaxy that the MF was on.

Also I don't know how anyone could call the relationship between Rey and Finn in this film a "romance." It was anything but. Finn obviously liked her, but that does not a romance make.

8. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

A few others:

Pros:
    -The "Triumph of the Will" speech.
    -Rey's introduction and continued mystery of who she really is.
    -Sequence where Poe shoots down a bunch of Ties as Finn watches.
    -C3PO's funny, perfectly-in-character entrance.
    -Kylo failing to probe Rey.
    -A lightsaber can do more than chop off limbs.
    -Luke looks like hell.

Cons:
    -Emperor Part Deux... except BIGGER.
    -The ridiculous CGI monsters Han was hauling.
    -The Scottish and Asian bounty hunters.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jr Mouse

The book adaption apparently established BB8 was the one that "woke" R2D2 from hibernation by telling him he had the other part of the map. It certainly wasn't clear on film and I interpreted it as being finally being around Rey woke the droid. A hint that she may be his daughter or has a past connection with him from the Jedi Academy.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The great thing about co-ordinates, though, is that they work anywhere. If you've figured out a system of co-ordinates (latitude, longitude) then it doesn't matter if you don't know what's in that section of the map, you can still provide a set of co-ordinates to lead you to a particular spot in that section.

Clearly, Luke made the map, so he could simply have provided co-ordinates rather than a map with a dotted line running through it which, you may have noticed, Rey and Chewie entirely ignored and bypassed when they went to visit Luke - they left the Resistance base, jumped to hyperspace, and emerged at Luke's planet. It made the whole map pointless.

11. Jr Mouse

This is something else they established in the novel. The map was actually put together from the data that R2D2 downloaded from the Death Star in the OT. It's a map data of all the known Jedi temples that Vader had used to hunt down the Jedi. The implication being that they believed that Luke went to the first Jedi temple and the only way to find it was that old map data.

Maybe Luke removed the part of the map to this temple and gave it to the old man on the planet that was killed by Kylo because he felt he was the only one he could trust with it. I think the history of him and Luke is established in the book.

Movies like this always have details left out that make it to the novel adaptions.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, that's irritating.

I have no problem with a movie that is based upon a novel having less detail than the novel as, with most novel adaptations, you need to leave out details otherwise the movie will be ten hours long.

However, for a movie that was written as a movie script to leave out details that would assist understanding, and to then put those details into a book adaptation of the movie - that just strikes me as lazy!

1 person likes this.
  13. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    What if Master Luke and Rey become lovers during their training?

14. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Guys, if you read EU, the most fucked up part is that Palpatine has a grand-son, and Luke trains him.

W

T

F

But how Palpatine became a sith lord, that was a great novel.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

what are some of the better/best EU books I could pick up? Ideally ones that don't require me to read other books to get a sense of what's going on.

16. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

That's the story of Nick Saban

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

The original Zahn trilogy.
    KJAnderson Jedi Academy trilogy
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Shadows of the Empire
    Rogue Squadron

18. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I hadn't realized that R2D2 was possibly Rey's father. That's a new theory I hadn't heard before. That would explain why Rey could speak to BB8, however.

:nodding:

3 people like this.
  19. Jr Mouse

No really. This happens all the time with book adaptions of movies. Even the books written as adaptions for the OT at the time had additional details. Sometimes this is to add texture, sometimes it's scenes that made the cutting room floor during movie editing and sometimes the author is using the freedom of the book format to expand upon the story.

This is by no means unique to TFA. There are many examples of this with different films. I'm honestly a little surprised you were not aware that this happens.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Shame they didn't leave Hayden Christensen in the new movie. It would have explained why Luke ran away.

2 people like this.