• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a thought... Can we get the OP or a Mod to change the title of this thread to "Official New iPhone" or "Official iPhone Thread"? This is a good thread and has a lot of useful information in it's history. Would be a shame to see a separate "iPhone 5" thread start just for the sake of it. We know the announcement for the new one is coming next week.

Keep this one ongoing and more general about the iPhone and iOS platform.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dunno. Maybe I'm not using terms correctly, but what irritates me about how iTunes handles music:
1) You can't sync music to your iPod or iPhone from multiple computers - one central computer "owns" your iPod. Trying to copy one more song from a friend's computer (or another one of your own) is only possible if you destroy everything else that's on the iPod/iPhone. This has been an issue for me when travelling - my iPhone syncs to my desktop at home because it has the storage for all my crap. But when I travel and want to put movies on my phone, I have to put them all on before my trip - I can't watch 5 movies on the plane and then get 5 more when I'm on the road.

This is the problem I have with iOS devices, I don't really want dealing with a device that locked to one single computer. Also I can't be using a device which relies on proprietary Windows software or having a Mac to get my content on and off the thing. I like to be able to freely copy whatever content on and off my phone using whatever computer and OS I desire, with no proprietary software required.

I know you can get around this with jailbreaking and hacking, but then you end up in a kind of cat and mouse fight with how Apple says you must use your iOS device, and how you the owner want to use it. Basically it's Apple's way or the highway, I chose the highway.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting article by John Gruber on the rumored iPhone 5 designs: http://daringfireball.net/2011/09/teardrop_skepticism

He brings up some great points. The strongest of which is that a "teardrop" design wouldn't be symmetrical or balanced when held horizontal. It's an issue that didn't occur to me before, but I agree with his thoughts on it. He also takes issue with the rumored 4 inch display because it would loose the ability to be called a "retina display" under Apple's own definition. This is something I have brought up a few times before.

If the rumors are true about this teardrop design, it will be interesting to see how Gruber reacts. He is one of the industry's biggest Apple fan(boy)s. Curious how he will spin things if the design really is unbalanced.

I was thinking about another point he brought up the other day. With all the rumors flying around about a complete redesign of the iPhone 5 with a larger display and touch screen home button, wouldn't it end up being a little disappointing if all we end up with is an iPhone 4S? By this, I mean a phone that looks like the current iPhone 4 with beefier specs? There is strong evidence that this is what will happen.

After the stolen iPhone 4 fiasco from last year, you also have to wonder if this is all part of a clever misinformation campaign on Apple's part. They could be fueling all these rumors on purpose and have something completely different in store for us. This wouldn't surprise me at all.
:tinfoil:

EDIT: I need to get back into blogging. I really enjoy talking about this stuff... :lol:

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It amazes me how you guys love to gossip about this **** when none of it is in your control.

Just wait and see what they come out with when they come out with it, this **** is so hilarious to me.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It amazes me how you guys love to gossip about this **** when none of it is in your control.

Just wait and see what they come out with when they come out with it, this **** is so hilarious to me.

I don't think having control has anything to do with it. Some people, like myself, find this speculation fun. Personally, I love gadgets, technology and the web. It's a big of a hobby of mine to keep informed about it and be part of the discussion. Not everyone finds it enjoyable, which is understandable.

Interzone

Reaction score
I am a little disturbed by how many ****** websites make a living out of hawking rumors and speculations. Engadget, Gizmodo, TechCrunch...

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^

It's the tech version of tabloid journalism. The general public just loves reading gossip, rumours and speculation, nothing new.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its also a great way to build credibility. To be able to say that you accurately predicted the movement of a multinational corporation with a billion dollar R&D team is worth quite a lot, either in bragging rights, or as publicity for your organisation.

You're pitting your tech knowledge and business acumen against the biggest players in the industry.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am a little disturbed by how many ****** websites make a living out of hawking rumors and speculations. Engadget, Gizmodo, TechCrunch...

^^^^^^
It's the tech version of tabloid journalism. The general public just loves reading gossip, rumours and speculation, nothing new.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare tech websites like Engadget, TechCrunch and This is My Next to tabloids at all. Yes, they cover rumors and speculation, but they also do a solid job of reporting news, writing reviews, providing advice and tips and distilling other information useful to the public. Covering industry rumors is only a small part of what they do, even if it's one of the parts that tends to generate the most buzz.

That's not to say that some of these sites have not been guilty of sleezy "journalism." Gizmodo's involvement in the stolen iPhone 4 fiasco from last year come to the top of my mind. When things like that happen they give the industry a bad name, but it's not indicative of the whole. For example, Engadget was offered a chance to buy the stolen iPhone 4 before Gizmodo and turned it down.

What it really boils down to was said perfectly by MikeDT. The public eats this stuff up. Why do we see so many stories about iPhone 5 rumors? It's a hot topic and earns these sites a lot of page views. Those page views equel increased ad revenue.

Willie5566

Reaction score

I don't think having control has anything to do with it. Some people, like myself, find this speculation fun. Personally, I love gadgets, technology and the web. It's a big of a hobby of mine to keep informed about it and be part of the discussion. Not everyone finds it enjoyable, which is understandable.

I love gadgets as much as the next person. I find myself getting sucked in at times reading all of the rumored changes, etc. etc. BUT, it gets old. When you see a blog reporting something one day and then contradicting themselves the next. Just take the release date for example. I have seen everything predicted from late summer to first quarter 2012. There have been a million predictions on when it will happen. No one really knows and trying to read all of these tech sites and blogs trying to predict it just makes you head spin. It is the same thing with all of the specs of the device, what it will look like, etc. It's fun to sometimes predict but is overdone.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love gadgets as much as the next person. I find myself getting sucked in at times reading all of the rumored changes, etc. etc. BUT, it gets old. When you see a blog reporting something one day and then contradicting themselves the next. Just take the release date for example. I have seen everything predicted from late summer to first quarter 2012. There have been a million predictions on when it will happen. No one really knows and trying to read all of these tech sites and blogs trying to predict it just makes you head spin. It is the same thing with all of the specs of the device, what it will look like, etc. It's fun to sometimes predict but is overdone.

I agree that can get tiring, but not sure that's a good example. People predicted summer because Apple had always released a new iPhone in the summer. This is the first time that it got delayed to fall.

Anyways, yes I can see how it all can get old. The hype around the iPhone has made it a hot topic for rumors and speculation. Sometimes, maybe a little too much so. :embar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics