1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official new iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sonick, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

This does a good job of further pushing my point and even surprised me: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/22/iphone-4-and-3gs-rank-as-best-selling-u-s-smartphones/

As of August 22nd the iPhone 3GS is still the 2nd best selling smartphone on the market. That's a two year old phone that outdated by anyone's standards. People want the Apple product.

Rumors are hitting they may continue to sell the iPhone 3GS after the new models launch. Make it free on contract. A lot of those are going to move off shelves to people on a budget.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Oh hai!

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprin...rom-apple-launching-the-iphone-5-exclusively/

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sprint has entered into an agreement with Apple to purchase over $20 billion worth of iPhones over the next four years — that’s around 30 million iPhones. It’s said that Sprint won’t even break even on the transaction until 2014, which is surely a huge risk on Sprint’s part, but why? I have been going back and forth for weeks with one of my incredibly solid industry contacts on a piece of information that I couldn’t really process at first — information that is so unbelievable, even from a source this solid, that I couldn’t report it. With this new WSJ report on an Apple/Sprint deal, however, it doesn’t look so crazy. Hit the break for more.

I have been told that Sprint will be getting the iPhone 5 — yes the real iPhone 5, not the iPhone 4S — as an exclusive. And it will be a 4G WiMAX device. AT&T and Verizon would launch the iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5 some time in the first quarter of next year as an LTE device. Globally, the iPhone 5 might be available as a 4G HSPA+ device. The iPhone 4S Apple will introduce tomorrow will feature the following:

A low voltage Apple A5 CPU (it won’t be the same as the iPad 2 chip, clock for clock).
    Updated front and back camera sensors. FaceTime HD in the front, 8 megapixel 1080p HD video recording in the back.
    Multiband 3G Qualcomm chipset — North American & International GSM/UMTS/HSPA bands for AT&T and Global carriers, North American CDMA & International GSM/UMTS/HSPA bands for Verizon and Sprint.
    NFC support
    Metal or “premium” plastic on the back case.

Here is what my source said about the iPhone 5 that will launch as a Sprint exclusive:

Faster CPU.
    Larger 4-inch screen, similar to LG’s NOVA display but higher resolution.
    1GB of RAM.
    Slightly larger design overall but thinner, and a larger battery.
    32GB
    iPhone 5 exclusive software and APIs (Assistant).
    Dedicated Assistant button, possibly integrated with the new home button, “think gestures or a two-stage button like a camera shutter key)

I told my source that even if Sprint paid Apple hundreds of millions, a Sprint iPhone 5 exclusive still would never happen. $20 billion in guaranteed iPhone sales, though? We’ll see tomorrow.

3. Jr Mouse

I was just about to post that. Crazy if true!

EDIT: There has got to be more to this story. Seems like a lot of money to toss around for a timed exclusive till the 1st quarter of next year. Could be a game changer for Sprint which has been HURTING.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

A 6 month exclusive is HUGE. HUGE. People will be leaving AT&T in fucking droves. Especially with Sprint's cheaper plans.

5. Jr Mouse

6. Jr Mouse

Think about this. The "iPhone" is so important to the market that a billion dollar company is betting the farm on a version of it. Wow.

EDIT: Been thinking that iPhone 5 is not a good name for this. It's a larger, different, version of the phone. Why not create a distinct product line? Keep selling 3.5 inch ones for people who like smaller phones.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

call me a fanboy, but i'd switch to any provider if it was exclusive for a bit.

i don't think it will be though. we would have heard that news blip by now. not 24 hours before the unveiling.

8. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

We will know more in less than 24 hours.

@Rambo-I think that the specs. you have listed on the iPhone 4 would be a big disappointment for most. I am expecting more for a release that is so over due by now. What you have listed is basically a refresh. It also appears to be what most of the tech bloggers have dwindled down to the most likely changes for the upcoming release. It's pretty conservative.

Hang in there gang we will know soon.

9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Yes they release in the summer but when June came and went people started predicting everything from August-First quarter 2012. Hence my comment. Hell if Apple would have released at their normal time we would not have had all the predictions. Now I see these same tech bloggers writing stories because iPhone 4S is now in AT & T's inventory so that means it's going to be a 4S. Wait Radio Shack has iPhone 5 in their inventory system. What does it all mean? The funny thing is it is probably just a place holder for whatever the device is going to be called. It's probably easy to change the name but they want to have everything set up in the system. Yet all these tech bloggers are looking for the meaning.

It's ridiculous.

10. Jr Mouse

If this thing really does have a 4 inch display I wonder if they will increase the amount of App icons you can have per screen. 5 x 5 instead of 4 x 4?

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Going exclusive for any period of time makes no sense right now, let alone going exclusive with the #3 player in the market.

With Android moving up the charts, Apple needs market share, not exclusive contracts.

I don't see this happening at all.

12. Jr Mouse

It certainly is a hard to believe rumor, but I am not sure for the reason you stated. If the rumor is true then everyone is getting the iPhone 4S. Sprint would get a time exclusive for the iPhone 5. If anything, the overall move is going to increase Apple's market share. They would be on an additional carrier. More people to sell to.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'd be peeved because I'm not moving providers.

14. Jr Mouse

I wouldn't switch either, but the rumor is it's a short exclusive. ATT and Verizon will get it.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Sprint is getting it:

edit - looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I need a new phone so badly that I may consider switching providers, if this is true.

17. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I'm just as excited to learn about any new iPods and what the status on the Classic is.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Why not? Everybody on AT&T and Verizon is locked into a contract. Even if they switch, they still stay with Apple, so its a win-win for Apple. What the fuck do they care which wireless company people use?

19. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Curious about peoples eligibility here. I frequent another tech forum and it seems as though if you have an IPhone 4 you are not eligible yet. Furthermore the upgrade dates seem to be all over the place.

I bought my iPhone 4 on release day and I am eligible to upgrade on 11/17. What about you all?

20. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I'm going to call and find out. I was hoping it'd just be a year into your active contract (that was the requirement for me to get the iPhone 4).