• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

curiouscharles

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I guess we're still bound by the ridiculous $20 limit. Guess I'll be sticking to shipping goods to the US.

hold up, story is developing...

okay, after 5 hours on various phone calls to various branches of government, brokerage companies, and fedex... i have the DEFINITIVE answers.

i just got off the phone with the deputy director at Global Affairs Canada's trade policy division.

she told me no, that is bullshit, individuals are allowed duty exemption to "casual goods" [so **** you buy off the internet] so long as it satisfies the Annex 5 or 5a requirements [meaning, is a made in EU good, from made in EU parts] - just like me or my business.

the FUNNY PART, is she says she is STILL receiving calls every day from CBSA agents asking her for guidance on the CETA policies.

so yes, it's just a transitionary period, where people don't know how to do their jobs under these new rules.

it's only natural that it will take time for people to adjust.

edit: i should add, i've been doing all this research because FedEx has still been charging me duties erroneously on ~30% of my shipments (so, doing it right 70% of the time, pretty good!), and i needed to put together an email explaning exactly how they went wrong (for dispute purposes) with information sourced directly from the government - so thought i'd share the findings that were relevent to this discussion.

Last edited:

asaa1000

Reaction score
Just ordered some de Bonne Facture from Matches and opted to not to prepay duties. Will report back on how much DHL charges.

Feel free to chime in if you'e done the same.

Cheers.

asaa1000

Reaction score
Got the Matches package, paid $20 for fees, much less that the $45 they asked for DPP.

On a different note, how much have people been getting hit with when ordering from Superdenim to Canada? Cheers.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can someone remind me whether shipping counts towards the $800 threshold?

I'm also certain it does not - the value of the item is declared independently of the cost of shipping, which is never reported on any customs forms, as far as I'm aware.

Sym

Reaction score
hold up, story is developing...

okay, after 5 hours on various phone calls to various branches of government, brokerage companies, and fedex... i have the DEFINITIVE answers.

i just got off the phone with the deputy director at Global Affairs Canada's trade policy division.

she told me no, that is bullshit, individuals are allowed duty exemption to "casual goods" [so **** you buy off the internet] so long as it satisfies the Annex 5 or 5a requirements [meaning, is a made in EU good, from made in EU parts] - just like me or my business.

the FUNNY PART, is she says she is STILL receiving calls every day from CBSA agents asking her for guidance on the CETA policies.

so yes, it's just a transitionary period, where people don't know how to do their jobs under these new rules.

it's only natural that it will take time for people to adjust.

edit: i should add, i've been doing all this research because FedEx has still been charging me duties erroneously on ~30% of my shipments (so, doing it right 70% of the time, pretty good!), and i needed to put together an email explaning exactly how they went wrong (for dispute purposes) with information sourced directly from the government - so thought i'd share the findings that were relevent to this discussion.

Thanks for the information. Were you able to find anything government sourced that indicated the exemption? I haven't been able to find anything and when the customs officer searched he wasn't able to as well.

Also, I've been eyeing you store more and more. Those 795V are beauties. Being a 44 in CP and 45 in MMM I probably wouldn't fit in the 44 right? Are the prices CAD?

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a seller in Denmark asking if he needs to fill out customs on a shipment to USA, he should correct? And mark item value as gift or zero? Never dealt with B&S something from denmark, pardon my ignorance.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a seller in Denmark asking if he needs to fill out customs on a shipment to USA, he should correct? And mark item value as gift or zero? Never dealt with B&S something from denmark, pardon my ignorance.

He has to fill out a customs form, or it'll be stuck in clearing. He shouldn't declare the value $0 as that'll be suspicious. You can bring in something up to $800 without getting dinged on it.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Does CBSA have any restrictions around down-filled clothing or clothing comprised of fur/shearling coming into the Canada?

Eis

Reaction score
I wonder whether anyone has the same experience buying from Mr. Porter from Canada. How do we request a refund of incorrectly charged duties in Canada? Recently, I purchased a pair of made-in-Canada Viberg from Mr. Porter. I thought I can have Mr. Porter refunding the duties, seeing how this must be a mistake.

Here is the reply that I got back. Prepare for the humor...

"Thank you for your email.

After reviewing you order...I see that the product was made in Canada and is being sent to Canada.

As per our policy, if you have purchased an item labelled "Made in the USA" and your chosen shipping destination is Canada, we can refund the duties for this piece.

Regretfully, the Viberg - Leather Derby Boots do not qualify for duties refunds."

I would imagine that a company as big as the Yoox group would have a better understanding of the law and regulations. Do they even do process reviews? If my company pull the same thing, we would be written up on the spot.

PattyC

Reaction score
I wonder whether anyone has the same experience buying from Mr. Porter from Canada. How do we request a refund of incorrectly charged duties in Canada? Recently, I purchased a pair of made-in-Canada Viberg from Mr. Porter. I thought I can have Mr. Porter refunding the duties, seeing how this must be a mistake.

After reviewing you order...I see that the product was made in Canada and is being sent to Canada.

As per our policy, if you have purchased an item labelled "Made in the USA" and your chosen shipping destination is Canada, we can refund the duties for this piece.

Regretfully, the Viberg - Leather Derby Boots do not qualify for duties refunds."

I would imagine that a company as big as the Yoox group would have a better understanding of the law and regulations. Do they even do process reviews? If my company pull the same thing, we would be written up on the spot.

Yoox won't even refund your customs and duties fees if you return something, you have to email and threaten them to refund you fully

blacktoku

Reaction score

Hit them with the link below, refer to #7. Even big companies are remarkably clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, especially if you're dealing with a CSR who has little to no knowledge of all the technicalities.

http://www.international.gc.ca/trad.../nafta-alena/fta-ale/questions.aspx?lang=en#7

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got hit with my first customs fee ever. $80 from SSENSE (never got hit with anything from them in the past). This leads me to my question: I purchased a leather jacket for slightly over $1000. Was it the price or the material of the jacket that led to the customs fee? This may alter future purchases

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Canadians have experiences with duties from ordering from Unionmade? I believe they use DHL?

Also any updates with CETA? @curiouscharles
Does CETA apply when ordering EU made goods purchased from a US based store?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads