• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

dqm45

Reaction score
Has anybody ordered shoes from C&J to Canada? I'm trying to get an idea of the brokerage fees to expect.

shackletonian

Reaction score
Curious about St Crispin and Cleverley shoes imported to the US and the associated fees

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Curious about St Crispin and Cleverley shoes imported to the US and the associated fees

I'd think they'd be the same as other brands. If declared less than $800, no fees. Otherwise something like 8.5% on the total, not just above $800. BTW, if the retailer ships via postal service there's a high likelihood of them not being assessed anything.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleverly may be getting whacked by the next round of Trump tariffs hitting this week or thereabouts. They are mainly related to an Airbus/Boeing fight. St Crispins may duck them due to being made in Romania?

The net is that the historical story about importing Cleverlys doesnt really matter vis a vis what is about to hit

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So far the list doesn't include any shoes. British made goods of interest to styfo is scotch, sweaters, and wool suits.

shackletonian

Reaction score
Just for reference for others - I had a $154 payment for the Saint Crispins as duty/import for about 1300Euro. Not bad.

Trung Nguyen

Reaction score
For those interested in ordering from Denimio to Canada (Toronto) - I placed an order on Sunday night. The package was delivered Thursday afternoon by FedEx International Priority. I was worried about brokerage charges, but I didn't have to pay anything - taxes, duties.

Very happy with the overall experience. Now hoping that my Samurais haven't shrunk too much after the soak.
Almost 3 years later, would this still be the same? Thinking about ordering Denimio to Montreal myself now.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this in a separate thread. Looks like the duties game has been switched up for US consumers again (by the US in this case).

"Made-in-UK clothing, including sweaters, pullovers, and cashmere and wool items, will be subject to 25 percent tariffs when sold in the US market, effective 18 October." (of last year)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But does that really make a difference to the individual importing something UK made for less than $800? I mean other than making damn sure the customs form is correct. I bought a UK made sweater from a UK shop last December and didn't pay anything as it cost about $200.

As I recall, the tariffs were already fairly hefty for knit goods and the new tariffs are an addition 25% over the old rate.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But does that really make a difference to the individual importing something UK made for less than $800? I mean other than making damn sure the customs form is correct. I bought a UK made sweater from a UK shop last December and didn't pay anything as it cost about $200.

As I recall, the tariffs were already fairly hefty for knit goods and the new tariffs are an addition 25% over the old rate.

Good question. I'm not sure how this added tariff holds in relation to the $800 threshold.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like stores/brands would be responsible for this cost. Of course, it wouldn't be surprising for that cost to get passed along to consumers, but I'm not clear whether you would pay anything directly as you would a duty fee? Luckily I think there's only one brand I really like out of the UK

Last page of this document, linked from this parent document: wool sweaters, knitted, crocheted or otherwise, and suits if not knitted or crocheted, are subject to 25% duty.

I have some wool sweaters made in Scotland that are arriving from the EU on Thursday. Total is under 800 USD, but we'll see if I get screwed.

Thanks, Trump.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost 3 years later, would this still be the same? Thinking about ordering Denimio to Montreal myself now.
Priority and express generally get pushed through and don’t get the duties/taxes added, but it’s a gamble.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the online Japanese stores remove(if it is included in their listed price) their consumption tax for foreign orders shipped directly out? Are the violating the taxation laws should they insist that the tax be paid by the foreign buyer residing outside Japan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads