• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The index-card version of how to handle this scenario should any of you be unfortunate enough is as follows.

Note that these instructions only apply in seeking to identify and correct an incorrect tariff/duty amount billed to you for an international shipment of clothing coming into the US where UPS is the carrier and broker. Also your results may vary, and probably will.

I will also note that, like ****** Spiderman, great power comes with great responsibility. Not every customs invoice from UPS is an injustice. If steps 1-8 below check out, then you probably don't have a case and it's really not worth your time or anyone else's to dispute (trust me).

1.) Look at invoice received from UPS.

2.) Weep.

3.) Call the UPS Brokerage desk at (866) 493-7140. Select option 3. Explain that you believe that the incorrect tariff code may have been provided by the shipper in submitting the customs documentation for the shipment and that you would like a copy of the submitted invoice, as well as the rating sheet completed by UPS.

You will receive two sheets: the invoice is provided by the shipper and specifies the dollar amount of the article in their local currency plus the tariff code for that article; the rating sheet is completed by UPS and specifies the converted US dollar value for the article as well as confirms the tariff code.

4.) Check the shipper invoice and the UPS rating sheet for inconsistencies. If they reference separate tariff codes or rates, that's a flag.

5.) Locate the tariff code specified by the shipper in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. If it doesn't exist, that's a flag.

6.) Locate the tariff code specified by UPS rater in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. If it has nothing to do with the article you are having shipped, that's a flag.

7.) Determine what you believe to be the correct tariff code for the article in question, using the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. In my case, for a down coat with a polyamide shell, it was Chapter 62 subsection 6201.13.10.00 (Thanks once again to @cb200 ).

Here I will note that this activity seems on par with augury and is open to wide interpretation.

8.) Compare what you believe to be the correct tariff code to the codes specified on the shipper invoice and UPS rating sheet. If there is a discrepancy, that's flag.

9.) Email the UPS Entry Review desk at [email protected] AND [email protected]. I'm not clear on which of these is valid or if both are, so it's best to address to both. Open by specifying the tracking number and invoice number in question. Explain the circumstance and specify what you believe to be the correct tariff code.

I also recommend CCing the shipper, as they will need to provide any corrected invoices as well as proof of the material content of the article.

10.) Wait.

11.) Wait some more.

You will think that no one is looking at your email and you are probably right. If you have a clear-cut case, hopefully the shipper will have kicked in by this point and provided a corrected invoice and you will then only need to await receipt by the UPS Entry Review team.

Here I will also note that attempts to prevent my package from being delivered while this was sorted out were entirely in vain. I spoke with both the International Support desk and the domestic team supposedly responsible for coordinating delivery with the driver and at no point was I successful in getting information relayed between these parties. So, accept that the package may be marked as "refused" and returned to shipper during the period where this is being worked out. Which is all the more reason to ensure you have an actual claim.

12.) Upon acknowledgement by the UPS Entry Review desk, and assuming you have a case, they will ask for the corrected invoice from the shipper, if not already provided. If provided, they will probably ask for proof of the material content of the article. A picture of the garment tag sufficed in my case.

13.) Finally, assuming everything else has gone to plan, and if it hasn't been returned to shipper, ask that the UPS Entry Review team 1.) have the package scheduled for redelivery, and 2.) expedite matters by sending a corrected invoice amount to the UPS Brokerage Accounting desk so that you may pay it over the phone. The UPS Brokerage Accounting desk number is (502) 485-2399. You should be able to use just the tracking number when paying.

That's as far as I've gotten with things. I'll update if any further steps become required.

I should update Step 13 above, in light of my experience with UPS since last November. In my case, paying the correct duties to the UPS Brokerage Accounting Desk didn’t automatically update the invoice as paid and they’ve continued seeking payment of the full, incorrect, duty ever since. This appears to be because a researcher with the brokerage desk didn’t update things as they should have.

So I would add that you need to seek surety from them that the invoice has been both corrected and marked as paid. The correction is important because, at this point, they still have to submit the documentation to the US government and hand over the duty. If the incorrect duty is reflected, the governmental agency will kick it back as unpaid (as I understand it).

nobopyon

Reaction score
hello,

I understand there is no way of knowing exact rate/percentage of cost of import item I will get hit by buying leather boots (over $800). But is there any rough rate that I can go by to at least prepare how much I will get hit? is it 20% of the the price I paid for? (including shipping).

It's really hard to find the info through gov. website..

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello,

I understand there is no way of knowing exact rate/percentage of cost of import item I will get hit by buying leather boots (over $800). But is there any rough rate that I can go by to at least prepare how much I will get hit? is it 20% of the the price I paid for? (including shipping).

It's really hard to find the info through gov. website..

There is a table quoted only two posts before yours...

illiterate

Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, anybody know of a package forwarding service based in the UK that also allows you to adjust the parcel price to avoid taxes/duties like ZenMarket does?

Cheers

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan question: So, if I understand correctly over on the Zenmarket official thread, they no longer adjust values to avoid customs. That's a bummer for me in France as customs here are draconian. Any other suggestions for legit Japanese proxy services that will adjust?

TIA

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Japan question: So, if I understand correctly over on the Zenmarket official thread, they no longer adjust values to avoid customs. That's a bummer for me in France as customs here are draconian. Any other suggestions for legit Japanese proxy services that will adjust?

TIA

I didn’t realize. It was still an option in the web app as of a month ago.

illiterate

Reaction score

TIA
I believe you can still adjust value but it cannot be less than 10% of the value of item.

SimModa

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about duties/tariffs for shipping items from Canada to the US?

Not sure what values are needed so here's the part of the invoice based on todays conversions.
Item Price929 CAD ($736 USD)
Shipping Fee50 CAD ($39.66 USD)
Tax111.36 CAD ($88.32 USD)
Total1089.36 CAD ($863.99 USD)

The item is made in Japan.

How much would I have to pay in duties?
US retail price for the item was $710...Could ask the business to mark the price down if that would help
any experience with specific carriers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads