• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ordered some stuff via FromJapan and a little surprised by their shipping quotes:

FedEx Intl. Priority 9,654 yen1 parcel(s)
DHL 10,983 yen1 parcel(s)
Surface 3,450 yen1 parcel(s)

seems a bit pricey for a wool coat, sweatshirt, tshirt and pair of pants. the last time I used them for a pair of boots and a few clothing items fedex intl priority was only ~6000 yen. have prices gone up that much?

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$450 in customs/fees from fedex intl from singapore on a $2800 order.

The items manufactured in the USA (at least listed as so. Robert Geller items marked with a USA address though in reality they may be made elsewhere?) were still charged duties.

Cotton items varied in % but were between 16 and 20%, while leather jackets were only 6%.

I had a separate order from Japan arrive the same day, with a value of ~$300 that I don't believe was charged anything. I still find it strange that the rules seem to apply to individual orders and not a daily total, at the least. I also had to fill out some form via fedex for the dept of homeland security to import something with a value over $2500.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to understand something from a UK shop. They are not removing VAT, but instead have this message “USA buyers: NO duty is payable on orders under $800 due to the new de minimis threshold.”

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m trying to understand something from a UK shop. They are not removing VAT, but instead have this message “USA buyers: NO duty is payable on orders under $800 due to the new de minimis threshold.”

The $800 de minimis threshold has been around for a few years now. It just means if the goods you're receiving are under $800 you don't have to pay any duty. Totally separate issue from them not removing VAT. I read somewhere that UK ended the VAT refunds for visitors but the VAT exemption for mail order remains.

velomane

Reaction score
I've always assumed that vendors who don't remove the VAT are pocketing it for themselves. I won't give them my business and I tell them so.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heads up for us EU residents that Brexit will mean customs duties for us if we buy from UK. Just found that out the hard way. Not sure many UK sellers are aware and apparently rules are in flux, but was hit for about 10 percent on a 150 euro order.

Thanks, David Cameron!

Lol1000

Reaction score
Heads up for us EU residents that Brexit will mean customs duties for us if we buy from UK. Just found that out the hard way. Not sure many UK sellers are aware and apparently rules are in flux, but was hit for about 10 percent on a 150 euro order.

Thanks, David Cameron!

Thanks. I was actually just beginning to realize this after placing my order.

Does anybody know the details between customs and tariffs in the case of textile? If I translate into German, the word is more or less the same.

jayvee

Reaction score
There are very few details available as yet. It will be complicated with different tariffs for different materials/products and also rules about the origins of products and their component parts. Hate to say it but it’s probably best to avoid ordering from the uk until there is more clarity.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A slight bit of good news -- Northern Ireland is staying in the EU wrt customs/VAT, according to Bureau Belfast.

(I kind of tuned out of the whole brexit debate around 2018 so wasn't certain where the N. Ireland question had landed)

As for the actual "what you'll pay," I think for those of us in France it will be about 12% for "fashion" items sent from UK -- but I couldn't find an actual table anywhere. Would love to see one, either from UK source or French source.

(For me the duties are key as I pretty much only mail order from either Kafka or BB, and adding 12% or so to my Kafka orders skews the equation a bit. On the other hand weak pound still might make it worth the effort/added fee)

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Matches also sent an email how Brexit won't change anything for continental shoppers. Also I've noticed that eBay UK seems to automatically apply tax to everything, which kind of sucks as I'd much rather take my chances with the post office than automatically pay taxes.

jayvee

Reaction score
^Matches also sent an email how Brexit won't change anything for continental shoppers. Also I've noticed that eBay UK seems to automatically apply tax to everything, which kind of sucks as I'd much rather take my chances with the post office than automatically pay taxes.

A lot of retailers are saying this but I am not convinced.

I’ve never been able to sneak anything past the Swedish post office and like most of us on Styleforum I order A LOT. Used to get about 60% success when I lived in the UK. The trick there is to get things delivered to a business address.

Lol1000

Reaction score
I got my UK delivery, which was below 100 GBP, received in Germany. In fact, there were no duties or anything at all. Not sure it stays that way, but just fyi

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK...I've poked around the French douane (customs/border control) site, and clothing does indeed incur a 12 percent duties from outside the EU. https://www.douane.gouv.fr/fiche/calcul-des-droits-et-taxes-sur-les-achats-letranger

Vetements are addressed in item No. 5. It's a range from 6 to 12 percent, but 12 percent is "en cas general" -- so it's safe to assume that residents of France will be hit with the 12 percent. It's assessed from the first euro.

So...if you're French and order from the UK, you can assume a 32% hit on top of checkout price (the 20 percent is TVA/VAT, that used to be assessed on checkout).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads