• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official 2015-2016 college football thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And Georgia looking bad against Vandy. Not to rub too much salt into the wound but I would say Vandy and Tulane are probably around equally "good" and Tech's C squad looked a lot better than UGA's A team. Spurrier's gonna smoke the Dawgs (again).

The Georgia game is the only one that matters to Spurrier, so I certainly don't view it as a given win for UGA, but there is nothing to suggest SC has anything near what it takes to "smoke" anyone.

Also, your UGA-Vandy-Tulane-Tech comparison is the stupidest thing I've read all day, so congratulations on that.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's see, both have 0-2 records but with that limited pool of data, their stats are almost universally bad (although Vandy's defensive efficiency 30th so pretty good) and they go back and forth depending on the category which one is worse, resume wise, Tulane's faced two tougher opponents (with what barely qualifies as a sample size but whatever), I pulled up the 2014 recruiting class stats and according to ESPN, Vandy had two fewer commits than Tulane but 2 in the ESPN 300, Vandy had three-four star recruits and an average score of 76.41 compared to Tulane with only three-star recruits but an average grade of 72.78.

Just looking at FEI, Vandy is 74th while Tulane is 93 and in the F/+ Combined Ratings Tulane is 98th while Vandy is 77th.

So, yeah. Looking at the stats, Vandy is so much better than Tulane.

I spent too much time comparing Vandy-Tulane but I do know that USC has been substantially better in the second half of games than it has in the first and you can either trust me on this or rely on your trenchant analysis which has consisted of, I'm guessing, just looking at the headlines and maybe the box scores. #yeomanswork

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, no, no, you're entirely correct.

It's completely irrelevant where the games were played (UGA on the road, Tech at home). It also doesn't matter that Tech runs an offense that Tulane has probably seen exactly one other time (last year when they played Tech), whereas Vandy sees UGA every single season. Oh, and we should totally ignore the fact that, in addition to being desperate for a conference win, Vandy is known for giving Georgia fits, especially in Nashville. There is also no significance to the fact that UGA is notorious for playing down to its competition.

None of these things matter, because everyone who follows college football knows that the intangibles are completely irrelevant. Nope, what makes college football so exciting is the way a bunch of 18-22-year-old kids play in a manner that's so easily predicted with objective measurement tools. It's really incredible how they completely exclude emotion and momentum.

Oh, and since we now agree that objective measures are so useful in these debates, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in 2014 (the year you chose for recruiting analysis), Tech and Vandy's classes were literally ranked back-to-back by Rivals (Tulane was 34 spots behind Vandy). The only logical conclusion we can draw from that is that Tech and Vandy are very nearly exactly the same level of quality. I guess that means we can expect Tech to lose to UGA by a slightly smaller margin than did Vandy. Glad we got that one locked down ahead of time. I hate losing to the Bees.

Oh, and nice "world-beating Commodores" straw man.

I don't know what to say to you re: USC. I don't take it for granted - Spurrier has Richt's number - but the current evidence does not support your "smoke" claim.

Last edited:

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't let him troll you, Matt; his logic re: the South Carolina game obviously makes no sense. That said, Tech is putting up some serious numbers and I'm excited to watch them play at Notre Dame this weekend.

Ed: What's your guess for the big GSU-Oregon game this weekend? Are your odds better or worse than when you played Bama in 2013?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean this with no disrespect but this is literally stupid--and I would know about being stupid. Vandy and Tulane are both bad teams. I don't know why you're spending so much time to split hairs on how much worse Tulane might be when they are pretty much equally not good. That's not a controversial claim. And of Vandy's whopping nine home wins against the Dogs, seven came before the Beatles were even formed.

I'm also surprised to see someone whose education and career revolves around stats just so glibly reject their utility.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't let him troll you, Matt; his logic re: the South Carolina game obviously makes no sense. That said, Tech is putting up some serious numbers and I'm excited to watch them play at Notre Dame this weekend.

Ed: What's your guess for the big GSU-Oregon game this weekend? Are your odds better or worse than when you played Bama in 2013?

ND has lost (IIRC) 25% of it's starters on offense. It's not going to be fun any more.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just couldn't resist engaging his stupidity.

Yeah, I'm curious to see the outcome of the Tech-ND game. I can't decide which way I want that one to go. They're both so terrible.

I mean this with no disrespect but this is literally stupid--and I would know about being stupid. Vandy and Tulane are both bad teams. I don't know why you're spending so much time to split hairs on how much worse Tulane might be when they are pretty much equally not good. That's not a controversial claim. And of Vandy's whopping nine home wins against the Dogs, seven came before the Beatles were even formed.

I'm also surprised to see someone whose education and career revolves around stats just so glibly reject their utility.

I don't disagree they're both bad. I disagree that there is any utility in comparing UGA-Vandy and Tech-Tulane.

And your first tirade was in response to a single sentence, so spare me the "spending so much time" stuff.

I'm not glibly rejecting anything. I simply know when the stats are of limited utility for the task at hand, and that's the case here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads