• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Modded monkeys..
3F70DB2F-0171-452A-AE77-1452D892CE6C.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

rob80bboots

Reaction score
With a days thaw after Monday's snow storm I inadvertently steeped in a puddle last night while on my walk with my Zug Grain Grassmere on Commando and was surprised the welt leaked like a sieve near the instep on both boots. Only took a second but the instantaneous rush of cold water inside the boot was not appreciated. Gave them a good going over this morning with a generous amount of dubbing around the seams but it's now back to -16 celsius / -28 fahrenheit so can't test. : (
"this toe capped 7 eyelet Derby ankle boot has a half bellows tongue and storm welt to keep you warm and dry" ???

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a days thaw after Monday's snow storm I inadvertently steeped in a puddle last night while on my walk with my Zug Grain Grassmere on Commando and was surprised the welt leaked like a sieve near the instep on both boots. Only took a second but the instantaneous rush of cold water inside the boot was not appreciated. Gave them a good going over this morning with a generous amount of dubbing around the seams but it's now back to -16 celsius / -28 fahrenheit so can't test. : (
"this toe capped 7 eyelet Derby ankle boot has a half bellows tongue and storm welt to keep you warm and dry" ???
Hmm thats no good. Just as I was checking out that black grain monkey boot that was on the Outlet site and wondering if I had buyer's remorse. ....

Generally speaking, assuming some Stows also have a storm welt I am yet to have any of my boots from any maker leak, but so far in all my tramping I have to say I feel most secure in my Cheaney Pennines which are a veldtschoen construction. For some reason just feels more secure......

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Hmm thats no good........

Generally speaking, assuming some Stows also have a storm welt I am yet to have any of my boots from any maker leak, ......
Believe a few of my Stows have encountered a few submersions without problems so was quite surprised about the Grassmere and I've two pairs.
Now thinking I should may have made my second.. a pair of Hoggs of Fife Rannoch....also a made by Cheaney. :rolleyes:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe a few of my Stows have encountered a few submersions without problems so was quite surprised about the Grassmere and I've two pairs.
Now thinking I should may have made my second.. a pair of Hoggs of Fife Rannoch....also a made by Cheaney. :rolleyes:
Yeah I had some envy seeing that pair. The shaft design is much nicer and the swooptie more visible. Tall boy though, but speed hooks definitely help. I like the Pennine especially at around the 20 wear mark, but the Hogg looks a slightly better boot.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had some envy seeing that pair. The shaft design is much nicer and the swooptie more visible. Tall boy though, but speed hooks definitely help. I like the Pennine especially at around the 20 wear mark, but the Hogg looks a slightly better boot.
The reason I also wanted to get rid of the Pennine and get the Hogg was that weirdly it looks the better made boot, especially with the speed hooks etc etc. Strange....

rob80bboots

Reaction score
The reason I also wanted to get rid of the Pennine and get the Hogg was that weirdly it looks the better made boot, especially with the speed hooks etc etc. Strange....
I really like the fit and feel of my Grassmere(s), hands down my favorite Tricker's for kicking around, so hopefully the Dubbin helps.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the fit and feel of my Grassmere(s), hands down my favorite Tricker's for kicking around, so hopefully the Dubbin helps.
How do the Hoggs fit comparative to 4497s? Frankly the Pennine is pretty much the best boot I have for hard tramping, but hey, no one on this forum has enough pairs I guess.... Wondering whether to get this or a MTO Galway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads