• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe a few of my Stows have encountered a few submersions without problems so was quite surprised about the Grassmere and I've two pairs.
Now thinking I should may have made my second.. a pair of Hoggs of Fife Rannoch....also a made by Cheaney. :rolleyes:
I have the Rannoch's,they're Zug leather and its quite thick and tough.

Olderfellow

Reaction score
How do the Hoggs fit comparative to 4497s? Frankly the Pennine is pretty much the best boot I have for hard tramping, but hey, no one on this forum has enough pairs I guess

I have Hoggs and Cheany Pennine II and 4497s. Pennine IIs fit me best. I like the FX last. Hoggs are roomier than 4497s too. 4497s are certainly more snug around the pinkies.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Hoggs and Cheany Pennine II and 4497s. Pennine IIs fit me best. I like the FX last. Hoggs are roomier than 4497s too. 4497s are certainly more snug around the pinkies.
Ah ha! You might be the man to make my Christmas come early then. So the Rannoch is roomier than the Pennine as well? And what colour are they in? I see websites saying brown but pictures online seem to show a more reddish tone. I just figured that being made by Cheaney that the fit was pretty much the same as the Pennine.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a days thaw after Monday's snow storm I inadvertently steeped in a puddle last night while on my walk with my Zug Grain Grassmere on Commando and was surprised the welt leaked like a sieve near the instep on both boots. Only took a second but the instantaneous rush of cold water inside the boot was not appreciated. Gave them a good going over this morning with a generous amount of dubbing around the seams but it's now back to -16 celsius / -28 fahrenheit so can't test. : (
"this toe capped 7 eyelet Derby ankle boot has a half bellows tongue and storm welt to keep you warm and dry" ???
Actually coming back to this for a second. Your feet got wet 100% I know sometimes when I step into puddles water gets between the shaft and tongue and the sensation on feet is cold as well without actually getting anything wet.

Anyway, just the fact that both feet flooded seems strange to me. Weird set of simultaneous failures...

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same size in the HoF and Pennine 2?

Angel91

Reaction score
Hello guys! What is the difference between the Durham and the bourton? Thanks for helping.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! What is the difference between the Durham and the bourton? Thanks for helping.
Last shape. 2298 for the Durham vs 4444 for the Bourton.

basically, take your normal size for the Durham and a half size down for the Bourton. Standard advice so do adapt for your own requirements.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of all delivery services I think I like DHL the best (3rd time using them). Already have notification that my AFPOS order has shipped and I can specify where I want them to place the package and they arrive fast.

This order has a Green MC Stow (anyone know what MC stands for? Something calf?) and an acorn CS brogue boot so I'll be interested to see how they compare.
trickersbroguebootsgreenmc2_2048x.jpg

2_aab5a20e-ede2-41af-b1d8-bfd42adce630_2048x.jpg

Should be an interesting comparison, the Carlos Santos is almost half the cost.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Christmas gift arrived from the nice people of A Fine Pair of Shoes (thant you Sarah):

Model: James
Last: W2298
Welt: 360
Colour: Espresso

Impressive shoes, I own the same in black and chesnut but these in espresso are truly amazing. I am not a loafer guy but these Trickers are one of my favourite shoes, the proportions and finishing show attention to detail.

The first picture was taken al 6am with the sun comming through the blinds.

IMG_8438.jpg
IMG_8439.jpg
IMG_8440.jpg
IMG_8443.jpg
IMG_8444.jpg
IMG_8445.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Christmas gift arrived from the nice people of A Fine Pair of Shoes (thant you Sarah):

Model: James
Last: W2298
Welt: 360
Colour: Espresso

Impressive shoes, I own the same in black and chesnut but these in espresso are truly amazing. I am not a loafer guy but these Trickers are one of my favourite shoes, the proportions and finishing show attention to detail.

The first picture was taken al 6am with the sun comming through the blinds.

View attachment 1740598 View attachment 1740599 View attachment 1740600 View attachment 1740601 View attachment 1740602 View attachment 1740603
Very nice,do they fit true to size ?

Olderfellow

Reaction score
So the Rannoch is roomier than the Pennine as well? And what colour are they in? I see websites saying brown but pictures online seem to show a more reddish tone.

Here's a pic I have lying around. I would say both the Rannochs and Pennines have a red tinge with the Pennine IIs being redder.

Attachments

• IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 101

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics