• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on a pair of Tricker's polo chukka shoes at Pediwear. I had been eyeing Alden unlined chukkas, but decided that the 700€ price tag was too high for me. These seem like a nice alternative, being unlined and light on the sole – it's actually crazy to me how similar they seem. I was a bit unsure of the sizing: Barrie US10.5D fits me perfectly, and I know that the W2298 is quite small in the forefoot, so I bought both UK10 and UK10.5 to try on. Hoping that the UK10 will fit perfectly, but you never know...

Anyway, will report when the shoes arrive!
Trickers-Polo-Brown-Suede-Chukka-Boot-2.jpg

Phoenician

Reaction score
Funny. About half my shell footwear is from UK companies.

Speaking of shell Tricker's. Found a new pair of shell Tricker boots I really like from a retailer for just over $600. Love the boot, and it's on double-leather which i prefer, but concerned about the Compiel shell and the quality of it compared to Horween, especially as it relates to stiffness and/or dryness. Granted, the boots are a great price, but how valid are these concerns? thanks for any feedback from anyone

Phoenician

Reaction score
Newly arrived Roxbury’. My other Chelsea models have the taller shaft, these are the first models with a lower elastic shaft.

Snapped a few pictures, as these are museum calf in black. So depending on the lighting they’re full-on black, but have grayish swirls and even look dark gray, depending on lighting and viewing angle; not as dramatic in coloring as other shades of museum calf, but more of a subtle cool.

(oh, and I managed to snag these unworn on eBay for $65, so thrilled with that!)

D77E49C7-B574-4CF2-89DD-2222C7360D66.jpeg
95F518EC-2C9F-4366-9F39-0E99A3F594BC.jpeg
821D0959-A38D-4959-B9FE-133618340EC0.jpeg
276D239B-564C-481D-8E7A-7C4FFCF12D06.jpeg
06CB1ED4-C438-4848-AB7D-6C0D31BE5CB4.jpeg
3CC99913-2C13-45CB-A010-6B7127B36BFA.jpeg
8F05EFD3-27DC-4192-AFDE-1D17A0195A9A.jpeg

Last edited:

Metrosey

Reaction score
Kudu is one of my favorite leathers ever. It is so interesting to look at and has so much character. I love how you can actually see the scarring on it. It's also durable and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance and upkeep. I couldn't recommend it enough, it's amazing! I've uploaded these pics before, but here are some shots to show the kudu leather up close.

View attachment 1460659 View attachment 1460660 View attachment 1460661
It is, I hope we get more colours in the future. Perhaps a waxed Kudu?

Metrosey

Reaction score
Speaking of shell Tricker's. Found a new pair of shell Tricker boots I really like from a retailer for just over $600. Love the boot, and it's on double-leather which i prefer, but concerned about the Compiel shell and the quality of it compared to Horween, especially as it relates to stiffness and/or dryness. Granted, the boots are a great price, but how valid are these concerns? thanks for any feedback from anyone

There have been reports of such events from owners (I myself want one but haven’t got one yet), tending to be dry or cracking. This I believe though was a past issue and they are better now (although they are still a bit dry). However, are Horween higher quality, yes, but are Compiel bad, no. Both are great, but Horween does edge it out.

I might be wrong here, so someone please do correct me :)

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never really had an issue with dry Cordovan from Comipel, but I’d say that the Horween product is superior. I’ve found it’s pretty rare to get bloom on Comipel Cordovan but the Horween product generally does for me, which could indicate higher fat content. As far as the material itself is concerned, I find Horween more supple and it seems to develop rolls easier than Comipel.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Metrosey

Reaction score
In terms of Trickers, sadly we don’t have a choice of Horween, only Compiel, but at least it’s something I guess, and Compiel is still good. They have some amazing colours.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of Trickers, sadly we don’t have a choice of Horween, only Compiel, but at least it’s something I guess, and Compiel is still good. They have some amazing colours.
Keep a close eye on Mr.P. They did a collaboration last year with Tricker’s and the Cordovan Robert PTBs (Black & Colour #8) and a Chukka (Bourbon or Whiskey) used Horween Cordovan. It may happen again.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been reports of such events from owners (I myself want one but haven’t got one yet), tending to be dry or cracking. This I believe though was a past issue and they are better now (although they are still a bit dry). However, are Horween higher quality, yes, but are Compiel bad, no. Both are great, but Horween does edge it out.

I might be wrong here, so someone please do correct me :)
Years ago I bought a pair of Trickers ‘Robert’ shoes in Argentine shell cordovan. The colour was mogano.

I never had any issues with them and the leather has aged very nicely.

Metrosey

Reaction score
Years ago I bought a pair of Trickers ‘Robert’ shoes in Argentine shell cordovan. The colour was mogano.

I never had any issues with them and the leather has aged very nicely.

Yeah I might be wrong, my comment was from memory of a similar discussion about a year ago. I’ve got to get myself a pair of Eatons in Cordovan. Going to be one expensive MTO :(

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I might be wrong, my comment was from memory of a similar discussion about a year ago. I’ve got to get myself a pair of Eatons in Cordovan. Going to be one expensive MTO :(
I don’t think you’re wrong. I think a long time member, either MSaint or Namor posted about dry/cracking Comipel Cordovan.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you’re wrong. I think a long time member, either MSaint or Namor posted about dry/cracking Comipel Cordovan.

Yes from memory it was @MSAINT who had the cracking.

I think several others have had good experiences though so probably no major cause for concern.

I’ve only personally experienced Horween shell which is very nice but Compiel colours look good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads