• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

DeeWilliams

Reaction score
Hi guys, I would appreciate some advice on Trickers shoes. I have 2 completely unworn pairs to sell that are marked as size 12.5 and I am wondering how true to size wearers find them. These are marked as 'bench made' and were made in the 1980's. One is a suede with 'phillips special' on the heel and the other is the traditional leather soled brogue. The suede seems a slimmer fit than the brogue. I would also appreciate advice on how much to sell them for. I do not have the laces for the brogues and they are both without boxes. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

striker

Reaction score
It means it is a size 12. Width Fitting 5, which is a standard width, 6 being wide. 12.5 is not 12 and a half size. They write this as 12 1/2 for half sizes. As for the other numbers above, you might be able to contact trickers directly for more information regarding the lasts and fitting info.

For shoes 20-30 years old, they appear to be in surprisingly in good condition but it wouldn't hurt to condition them first before putting them for sale. You can get some laces for the brogues before selling them and you could probably get the money back for the laces plus more for the shoes just for this bit of value added service.

It is not unusual to get Brand new with box sale trickers (1-2 seasons old) around 150-230GBP so you probably can't sell them for more than that. Do note some shops even deduct VAT for overseas buyers. The suede ones will probably have to go for much lesser.

smartlew

Reaction score
Could whoever darkened/shaded their lollipop brogue boots (MSAINT?) post some more details on how to go about this please?

My lollipop Eatons are a bit bright, but I don't want to lose the red completely. I was looking at using a coat or two of mahogany Saphir cream - I get the feeling the cavalier leather will absorb colour pretty well, but have no personal experience of this.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it was MSAINT.

smartlew

Reaction score
I meant Cognac, which is redder and not as dark as Mahogany.

I've a feeling he blended his own colours with burgundy and black polishes - might be a bit beyond me for a first-timer.

MSAINT

Reaction score
Quite easy indeed, I already detailed the whole operation previously...
I used Saphir Creams after patiently cleaning the boots (brushing and brushing more mostly, and with Saphir renovateur if necessary).
First, on a dry shoe,I darken using a small paintbrush with pure black cream the areas I want to be the darkest, then after a while (almost dry) I brush the boot.
Again, patience, then apply mahogany all over the boot, let it dry out, brush it and voila!

Repeat operation as often as necessary, I like the reddish tint to show so I personally don't do it often.

Hope it helped!

Last edited:

MSAINT

Reaction score

The red is back (and with more shades with black cream):

Last edited:

smartlew

Reaction score
Looks like the darker parts just follow the seams?
I did save the photos from your earlier post somewhere, but just on my phone currently. Might try it with something lighter than pure black as it won't be easy to remove should I get it wrong.
Thanks!

MSAINT

Reaction score
Do not worry about dark colors as Saphir Cream (I never use polish) are quite transparent, it's like painting with oils, only by superposition you get opacity!
If you don't like your first try, you can use the Renovateur to "clean" it.
And yes, I chose to follow and underline the stitchings as it's really easier to get a nice result like that, I also darkened the upper ankles, the cap and the counter.

oxfordian

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've noticed that some on the forum have discussed a Tricker's sale which happens or used to happen once twice a year. Could anyone let me know when this is likely to happen (if it still does)?

Cheers.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello gents,

I've noticed that some on the forum have discussed a Tricker's sale which happens or used to happen once twice a year. Could anyone let me know when this is likely to happen (if it still does)?

Cheers.

not too sure about that, but Tricker's does have a factory store, http://www.ebay.com/sch/retricker1829/m.html

which you can get bargains from.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is also a sale at the store, twice a year. if you're in the UK you could call them. some models don't go on sale though. what are you looking for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads