• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

neckface

Reaction score
I have an olive classic bedale size 30 brand new, looking to size up and trade my 30 for either a 32 or 34, if anyone would like to trade I can do a meet up in NYC, PM me!

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any experience with the Barbour stores?  I mean the regular stores, not the factory outlets. 

-Do they run promotions/sales?  I called two today and the answer I got was that they usually don't find out until same day and that Saturdays are usually the days.  Anybody else know this?

-Do the sales associates work on commission?  I'd like to get in with one so I can stay updated with their sales.
-Anyone on the email list?  Do they email you about sales/promotions?

Regular stores do have sales but they probably dont know until day of like they said. Barbour HQ loves to do that (same goes for the outlet sales). They had some 50% off stuff over the summer i picked up. Also barbourbymail probably will run a sale soon too.

wwjbd24

Reaction score
would anyone be interested in a barbour trooper, size small? worn for about a month, still in great condition. I just think I want a bedale instead
pm me if you're interested! I'd be up for a trade for an excellent condition bedale in a smaller (36/38) as well as selling it

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular stores do have sales but they probably dont know until day of like they said. Barbour HQ loves to do that (same goes for the outlet sales). They had some 50% off stuff over the summer i picked up. Also barbourbymail probably will run a sale soon too.

Thanks Dave. In terms of the regular stores, any idea what the discounts look like when they actually do have sales?

qwerty3

Reaction score
I'm size 40 in beaufort and "L" in my ashby.

I'm looking to buy a Sapper and a bedale. Should i use size 40 in bedale?

What size for the sapper? Medium or large?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm size 40 in beaufort and "L" in my ashby.

I'm looking to buy a Sapper and a bedale. Should i use size 40 in bedale?

What size for the sapper? Medium or large? 

I think you'd want a medium in the Sapper - from memory it's a similar fit to the Trooper and my Trooper is a roomy large on my 43" chest.

Beaufort & Bedale are pretty similar in size other than length.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been Barbour busy the past couple of days. A few things:

-Barbour stores here in the US are having 30% off this weekend. I think it's all weekend, but as has been discussed the promos just sort of come last minute. I can tell you it was 30% off today though, however it didn't include Bedales and Beauforts. Tokihito and McQueen were included though.

-DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY HAVE THE MOUNTAIN PARKA? I went to Barbour Chicago today. They had a Medium, but I'm a Medium generally and so I knew it wouldn't fit. Gave it a try anyway and it was really snug. After I got home I realized that I hadn't adjusted the pulls on the inside of the jacket, so I'm hoping that's some of it. Anyway, the coat has a liner. I'm not a fan because the liner has long sleeves and is elastic at the cuff. Really annoying and so if it works I'll keep it out. Anyway, as I said they have a Medium if anyone is looking for one. They are hard to come by. Not as hard as the Hidcote though.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/wax/beacon-heritage/mountain-parka-jacket

-The Tokihito Wool Fishing jacket, which I commented on a month or two back, definitely is more fitted in the chest. I tried the XL and while it was fine in the chest, the body is loose. Cut of the coat. I'm considering it, but it would require some altering on the side. It's not waxed so I wouldn't need to go through Barbour, but I'd like to. Problem is getting it measured properly. Also, you can take it in, but you take it in a the bottom of the coat, not at the waist. I would never take it in there and they shouldn't have put it at the waist anyway with the way the coat bows out and the placement of the pockets. Of course on the flip side this one is the only one that doesn't need the sleeves shortened. Anyway, still my favorite Tokihito piece as I love the look and love the pockets.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/tweed-wool/beacon-heritage/wool-fishing-jacket

-Tokihito Military Jacket is nice. I actually like it better than I expected. As a friend commented, I thought I'd find it a bit too "fussy" with all the pockets. The Sage and Black are a bit different. The fit and pockets/snaps are all the same. The Black doesn't have a liner though (and I double checked to see if it had zips for one and it doesn't) while the Sage does. Also, the Sage has that contrasting color on the bottom "patch" to the pockets while the black does not. I like the contrast on the Sage. Interesting that I've seen both contrasting and non-contrasting pictures of the Sage online, but in person it definitely has them which I prefer. The other subtle difference is that you can definitely smell the wax on the Black. One thing that I like about this jacket is that when you do cinch it in, you get the look of a field coat a bit more. Overall again I have to say that I like it better than I expected. The SS12 versions didn't look as nice in pictures as these do in person, but then they are cheaper in price and look less "Barbour" and not waxed.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/wax/beacon-heritage/military-jacket

-The Tokihito Scott jacket from AW11 is nice. I really like the herringbone wool, including the colors in it. The ventile parts are nice, but I don't like how that seam is attached to the pocket. Always feel like I have to pull that seam down when closing up the pocket. I also don't like the fit in the body. It's workable, but it's definitely boxier. I has pull tabs on the inside to make it more fitted, but the outer shell doesn't cinch in when you pull them so you're stuck with the boxier cut. A nice coat otherwise and Tokihito looks to have taken a different direction this season.

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands.../barbour-x-tokihito-yoshida-scott-jacket.html

-The Tokihito Wool Sporting Quilt isn't as nice as I think the photos suggest. It's lightweight and the lining is sort of cheap. Compared to the other Tokihito jackets it's a lot lighter. To be expected to an extent, but considering it's more outerwear than blazer I'd have expected it to be at least as heavy as my blazers. The "suede", if it is indeed suede, feels a bit cheap too. I really like the concept though and it fits nicely and looks good on. You sort of feel the lack of quality though maybe taking away from how you think it looks. Oddly enough the green version is gone from what I can tell. One of the guys at Barbour told me that it was only available in England which does make sense. Anyway, the wool herringbone version looks much nicer than the SS12 versions did, much richer looking if not feeling much different.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clot...eed-wool/beacon-heritage/wool-sporting-jacket

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clot...ted-wax/beacon-heritage/sporting-quilt-jacket

-The Tokihito Hudson is a great sweater. Like the rest of Tokihito I would have to size up to a Large, and that's about the only problem. Great fit in the shoulders and chest, but sizing up makes it only a very little big too big in the body. I could actually live with that, but it's a smidge too long in the length too. I'm leaning towards keeping the one I have all fit issues aside as they are pretty minor. On top of that there are some other great details. For starters it looks great. Love the leather shoulder patches, love the poacher pocket (which internally is huge btw, so very functional) and love the hood in the contrasting fabric. A very nautical look/feel for me in the Navy. The fabric is a heavy wool in a great stitch, like a milano stitch, which I think wouldn't pill too easily. Comparing it to other sweaters from Barbour, this one definitely seems worth the price. A very nice piece.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/knitwear/wool/beacon-heritage/hudson-half-zip-jumper

-The Tokihito Mount Shirt Jacket really impressed me. I only tried it on for a second, but it fit nicely and looked good. Definitely more of a modern look as opposed to a heritage look. Should have grabbed that Bracken version from End last week. Didn't see the Camo Mount, which does look a bit more flimsy in the photos, so I can't compare. Seems like there are plenty of these out there in terms of inventory.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/beacon-heritage/mount-shirt-jacket-0

-The Hidcote is apparently sold out at all the Barbour stores here in the US. They called around a bit for me today and I called some of the stores too. A few out there, but tougher to come by unless you live in Europe.

Last edited:

benchan

Reaction score
Barbour bedale "
pinstripe" model Yay or nay?

Coopa

Reaction score
-DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY HAVE THE MOUNTAIN PARKA? I went to Barbour Chicago today. They had a Medium, but I'm a Medium generally and so I knew it wouldn't fit. Gave it a try anyway and it was really snug. After I got home I realized that I hadn't adjusted the pulls on the inside of the jacket, so I'm hoping that's some of it. Anyway, the coat has a liner. I'm not a fan because the liner has long sleeves and is elastic at the cuff. Really annoying and so if it works I'll keep it out. Anyway, as I said they have a Medium if anyone is looking for one. They are hard to come by. Not as hard as the Hidcote though.

http://www.barbour.com/us/mens-clothing/jackets-coats/wax/beacon-heritage/mountain-parka-jacket
I'm normally a medium (40R sportcoat) so i bought the mountain parka in large. Shoulders/chest were ok, but it was huge in the waist. Tightening the drawstring made it look too bunched up. Someone earlier in this thread reported a similar problem and send his jacket to barbour for alterations. I returned mine (i did love the look of the jacket though). Wish i could have tried on a medium, although i suspect it would have been too constricting in the shoulders.

Last edited:

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Thanks Blaugrana for the extensive info! I concur regarding the Scott jacket, it feels like it's going to take some time before I feel like I'm wearing the jacket not the other way around :)

Anybody tried the Greenham jacket? I'm thinking of this for spring.

imys

Reaction score
Thanks Blaugrana for the extensive info! I concur regarding the Scott jacket, it feels like it's going to take some time before I feel like I'm wearing the jacket not the other way around
smile.gif

That's a NICE jacket! Good call for the Spring. I really like the detailing of the collar and side pockets - i can't tell from the pic, but is it leather? Can you comment on the fit when tried, and price, and where it can be found?
Cheers

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered two of the Barbour x Jack Spade bags today. Grabbed the Duffle and Tote/Coal bag:

http://www.barneys.com/Barbour-Jack...05021133800,default,pd.html?q=barbour&index=1

http://www.barneys.com/Barbour-Jack...05021133534,default,pd.html?q=barbour&index=5

Both bags look nice, but I'm really excited about the Coal/Tote bag. I have a Jack Spade already and it's got very similar details. Nice bag too. I like how the Barbour version zips shut. I also like the leather handles. Just noticed it even has leather trim on the inside as well. Only thing I don't like is the collaborative label on the outside. Considering taking it off. Wouldn't mind a Barbour label to replace it. Anyway, if anyone has been looking at one, Jack Spade has the duffle on their site. It's on sale and use code MINUS25 for another 25% off the sale price. Free shipping too. I had to call a store for the Coal Bag, but the promo was the same in the store. Guy I spoke with was really nice. Told me the coats are more fitted than traditional Barbours. They transferred their stock out, so I don't know if they went to NY or the website or what.
Thanks Blaugrana for the extensive info! I concur regarding the Scott jacket, it feels like it's going to take some time before I feel like I'm wearing the jacket not the other way around
smile.gif

Yeah, the Scott is definitely the biggest Tokihito I've tried yet. I just wish it had pockets you put your hands in from the side because that would help a bit.

Had to look that Greenham up. It's a McQueen. Looks tough to find. I actually like some of the McQueen stuff and that Greenham looks nice.

I'm normally a medium (40R sportcoat) so i bought the mountain parka in large. Shoulders/chest were ok, but it was huge in the waist. Tightening the drawstring made it look too bunched up. Someone earlier in this thread reported a similar problem and send his jacket to barbour for alterations. I returned mine (i did love the look of the jacket though). Wish i could have tried on a medium, although i suspect it would have been too constricting in the shoulders.

I'm a 42R and I ordered the Large. So far, other than the Wool Fishing, Larges have been OK. Wouldn't mind a slightly bigger arm opening at the shoulder, but I'm fine with the rest even though they are a bit roomy at the waist. Militarys cinch up nicely though.

+3. I could see a navy pinstripe wool Tokihito Sporting Quilt for a SS season. I'd have to see the finished article to say I'd like it or not, but that's the only Barbour outerwear piece I could see in a navy pinstripe.

Last edited:

Coopa

Reaction score
I'm a 42R and I ordered the Large. So far, other than the Wool Fishing, Larges have been OK. Wouldn't mind a slightly bigger arm opening at the shoulder, but I'm fine with the rest even though they are a bit roomy at the waist. Militarys cinch up nicely though.

Have you had the chance to try on the sports jacket? I've got it on preorder in a size L and i'm hoping it's not boxy in the waist like the mountain parka.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads