• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh I'll definitely do it myself... just wanted to make sure that using the barbour wax is the way to go to get that waxy almost leathery sheen
as so

Here's mine post wax:

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's mine post wax:

Argentino, that looks awesome, better than from the factory!

do you actually bring the wax to a boil to get this result?
what did you use to apply it?
how many coats?
tutorial time!

T-Lama

Reaction score

I'd probably go 42 if you are going to layer it at all... 40 would almost certainly be too small in that case and probably even if you don't layer.
If you do a Heritage/Tokito, those are seriously slim fit.

Ok, so it looks like I'm going to go for the 42. If it turns out to be a little too full, can barbour's tailoring services take in the sides?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Argentino, that looks awesome, better than from the factory!
do you actually bring the wax to a boil to get this result?
what did you use to apply it?
how many coats?
tutorial time!

I put the wax in a small pot on the stove, about 1/2 full of water, brought the water to a boil. This melted the wax down inside the container, and I let that heat up until fairly warm (wax not boiling, water yes). Laid the jacket out flat on my countertop and used old socks to lathe the wax over the jacket, spreading it really well. My mom and I worked on it together while the rest of the family was out Christmas shopping. Really, really great memory.

We laid on the wax pretty thick - I used probably about 3/4 of the tin in one waxing, but we also applied it fairly quickly so that it had time to set on the jacket. It's difficult to get it all down before it starts to set - having the wax warmer helps, but that's where my mother and extra hands helped a lot too. You don't want to allow the jacket to lie on itself at all, and that you get every single surface, down in pocket seams, everywhere.

After it was all on, I hung it up in the laundry room for maybe a day and half to make sure it was as dry as it could be. Came out really well. If you need anything else clarified, do let me know.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put the wax in a small pot on the stove, about 1/2 full of water, brought the water to a boil. This melted the wax down inside the container, and I let that heat up until fairly warm (wax not boiling, water yes). Laid the jacket out flat on my countertop and used old socks to lathe the wax over the jacket, spreading it really well. My mom and I worked on it together while the rest of the family was out Christmas shopping. Really, really great memory.
We laid on the wax pretty thick - I used probably about 3/4 of the tin in one waxing, but we also applied it fairly quickly so that it had time to set on the jacket. It's difficult to get it all down before it starts to set - having the wax warmer helps, but that's where my mother and extra hands helped a lot too. You don't want to allow the jacket to lie on itself at all, and that you get every single surface, down in pocket seams, everywhere.
After it was all on, I hung it up in the laundry room for maybe a day and half to make sure it was as dry as it could be. Came out really well. If you need anything else clarified, do let me know.

this is super helpful, thank you!

one thing:

I understand you laid the jacket flat, did you let that side dry (as in hanging it up for awhile) before flipping it over and doing the other?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is super helpful, thank you!
one thing:
I understand you laid the jacket flat, did you let that side dry (as in hanging it up for awhile) before flipping it over and doing the other?

I opened it up and laid it flat as I went. Essentially counter acted like an ironing board, starting on one front side, continuing over the back, and then ending with the other front panel. Letting it hang allowed it to remain uncreased for the most part.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regarding reproofing a barbour wax jacket, I believe if you search in youtube there is an official barbour video showing u how to reproofing. I havent tried yet tho.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm about to pull that trigger on a Beaufort jacket and have a sizing question. I've read through all the pages of the tread and the consensus seems to be to stick to your suit size or size down one size. My issue is I am a 44r and tried on a co-workers jacket in the same size and I was swimming in it. So I am on the fence as to if I should order a 42 or go down to a 40? I guess my real question is, is sizing down 2 too much? Unfortunately I don't have store nearby to go in and try on jackets. Thanks!

I'm a 42R suit and went for a 42 in the beaufort - it's roomy (can wear it over a sports jacket or a thick sweater) but the sleeves are spot on. Sizing down one if you want a slimmer fit should be okay, but I think unless you're fairly short in the sleeves 2 would be too much.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I opened it up and laid it flat as I went. Essentially counter acted like an ironing board, starting on one front side, continuing over the back, and then ending with the other front panel. Letting it hang allowed it to remain uncreased for the most part.

Nice job.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a 42R suit and went for a 42 in the beaufort - it's roomy (can wear it over a sports jacket or a thick sweater) but the sleeves are spot on. Sizing down one if you want a slimmer fit should be okay, but I think unless you're fairly short in the sleeves 2 would be too much.

I'd agree w/ this. My International is a 42, and rather roomy on it's own but layers well. If I got the 40 it'd be too short in the sleeves.

Nice job.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does barbour X ToKiTo have different sizing? I have a military jacket in small and its shoulder measures apparently 17.3 inches.. which I am totally fine with :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads