Offical Barbour Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES, Jan 29, 2011.

1. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Anyone? Also where is the best place to buy online that ships in/to the US?

Thanks.

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Orvis also carries a decent barbour selection in the US.

4. Guus

Guus Senior member

I am thinking about ordering from that website and if the currency conversion is correct, the Jacket I want will come out almost 130$ cheaper than if I bought from Orvis for example. Something wrong here. xe.com has 207 GBP as 334$.

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I don't know how it compares $-wise but I've used Country Attire before and they were good. Only gripe is they didn't deduct VAT when delivering to the US.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Ordering direct from the home country sometimes makes it out cheaper than what is comes out to here in the U.S. Some people order direct from Crockett & Jones in the UK because it ends up being cheaper than buying direct from their NY store or other third party retailers.

7. Guus

Guus Senior member

I just tried ordering and the currency convergence was correct however my bank declined it twice. What's strange is, the website sent an email confirming the order. Is this normal? Probably should've used paypal.

Update: So I tried reordering with bestinthecountry and it was a no go. Had problems with both my Bank and Paypal. Ordered instead from Country Attire and it was a breeze. Got a free scarf to go with it too,

Anyway, I bought a Classic Bedale in 36". I usually wear a medium and i figured it adds extra room for under layers so I sized down compared to 38-40 measurements medium sizes are usually at. Got the hood to and I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, Country Attire gave me free shipping which I'm spectacle about because it is an international shipment. Will they honor this price?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. T-Lama

T-Lama Active Member

So I'm about to pull that trigger on a Beaufort jacket and have a sizing question. I've read through all the pages of the tread and the consensus seems to be to stick to your suit size or size down one size. My issue is I am a 44r and tried on a co-workers jacket in the same size and I was swimming in it. So I am on the fence as to if I should order a 42 or go down to a 40? I guess my real question is, is sizing down 2 too much? Unfortunately I don't have store nearby to go in and try on jackets. Thanks!

9. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

If you size down 2 sizes, it is doubtful you'll have enough sleeve length. Barbours are pretty short sleeve-wise.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Not the Beaufort, so not sure how much it relates, but I am a 38 chest and I tried on the Bedale in a 36 and it was a smidge tight. I'm not sure if I could fit into a 34.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I'd probably go 42 if you are going to layer it at all... 40 would almost certainly be too small in that case and probably even if you don't layer.

If you do a Heritage/Tokito, those are seriously slim fit.

12. danilo

danilo Senior member

I dropped of my Barbour international to get tailored and slimmed down... hoping for a much better fit, I don't need a ton of room to layer.

Also, does anybody know about options on re-proofing?

I had a friend that bough some wax bar, to wax his own cotton jacket, the method consisted of rubbing it on dry and then going over the jacket with a blower.

I've seen how the Barbour wax is supposed to be applied, but what I'm really looking for is that waxy sheen that Belstaff International seems to have... almost makes it look like leather. My International certainly doesn't have that sheen and is rather flat, I can smell and feel the wax though.

13. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Options on reproofing:
    1. Barbour tin of wax, $12, DIY, instant
    2. Give to Orvis who sends to Barbour, $49, remailed to Orvis, 6 weeks.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Having done this myself, waxing w/ Barbour wax (ie boiling it down, applying, etc) works wonders. You'll get just that texture and sheen that you're looking for, Danilo.

15. danilo

danilo Senior member

Oh I'll definitely do it myself... just wanted to make sure that using the barbour wax is the way to go to get that waxy almost leathery sheen

as so
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012