• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with sizing? I am interested in a simple jacket, waxed, with not too much going on. I am eyeing the Beaufort, Bedale, or Ashby. I am a 39" chest, 5'8" 165 lbs so not skinny. About medium. I live in California so the coldest it gets here is maybe high 30's. My city is actually temperate so we hardly see cold. I can see myself wearing this over a suit if I am in NY or SF and going out to eat, or in town and going to a charity function. This is going to be pretty rare though. I really just want it for the looks.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone help me with sizing? I am interested in a simple jacket, waxed, with not too much going on. I am eyeing the Beaufort, Bedale, or Ashby. I am a 39" chest, 5'8" 165 lbs so not skinny. About medium. I live in California so the coldest it gets here is maybe high 30's. My city is actually temperate so we hardly see cold. I can see myself wearing this over a suit if I am in NY or SF and going out to eat, or in town and going to a charity function. This is going to be pretty rare though. I really just want it for the looks.

Depends where you hold your weight...but Im about the same size and wear medium.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you normally wear it? Does it look funny if you don't layer it over a bunch of clothes? What if you just had a henley on and it on top? Does it look like you're swimming in it?

Also, what size does medium correspond to? Some sites/models are listed as S, M, L etc and some have numbers like 36, 38, 40 etc

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M is 38-40.

If you don't plan on wearing it over thick sweater or suits, go with 38. Otherwise, go with 40. Or just go with M.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add some info about the free Re-Proofing events at Barbour stores (Nov 3 in Boston). I stopped by the Boston store recently to inquire about the logistics. I was under the false assumption that you show up, wait for your jacket to be rewaxed and go home happy. After a conversation with the barbour folks, it's clear I was a bit naive. The events are very well attended so only the first few in the cue can actually get their jackets back the same day. All others will be sent to NH for re-proofing.

The good thing is that standard re-proofing takes 4-6 weeks to turnaround. Jackets that are submitted during these re-proofing events only take a couple of weeks. For this reason, I will definitely be dropping off my Flyweight Sapper. It's not the $30 savings that is so appealing but rather the quick turnaround. I'd hate to be without my Barbour for a month or more this time of year...and I don't have the patience to do it myself.

CPaul

Reaction score
I just tried ordering and the currency convergence was correct however my bank declined it twice. What's strange is, the website sent an email confirming the order. Is this normal? Probably should've used paypal.
Update: So I tried reordering with bestinthecountry and it was a no go. Had problems with both my Bank and Paypal. Ordered instead from Country Attire and it was a breeze. Got a free scarf to go with it too,
Anyway, I bought a Classic Bedale in 36". I usually wear a medium and i figured it adds extra room for under layers so I sized down compared to 38-40 measurements medium sizes are usually at. Got the hood to and I'm looking forward to it.
BTW, Country Attire gave me free shipping which I'm spectacle about because it is an international shipment. Will they honor this price?
Hey Guus,
How has the order gone? Did they honor the free shipping? Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Chris

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Think it depends on what kind of weather you are looking to use it for.

If you are anywhere cold, yes. The waxed cotton is surprisingly not as warm as the coat's weight would suggest.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Guus,
How has the order gone?  Did they honor the free shipping?  Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Chris

I bought a Barbour "New Utility" from Country Attire a couple of years ago and had it mailed to NYC for free. Thing was they didn't discount the VAT which should have come to ~$60 off the retail price. Was still cheaper than buying from the US though, and I too got a free scarf!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are anywhere cold, yes. The waxed cotton is surprisingly not as warm as the coat's weight would suggest.

Again cold is subjective here. I can wear my Chelsea sportquilt down to about 40 degrees with just a dress and undershirt on under it. Any colder I will throw on a sweater underneath.

I bought a Barbour "New Utility" from Country Attire a couple of years ago and had it mailed to NYC for free. Thing was they didn't discount the VAT which should have come to ~$60 off the retail price. Was still cheaper than buying from the US though, and I too got a free scarf!

Not getting the VAT taken off would be a huge deal to me even if they threw in a free scarf.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not getting the VAT taken off would be a huge deal to me even if they threw in a free scarf.

To be fair, it was very quick international shipping - think it was 2 days? Pissed me off at the time but like I said, it still came out cheaper than buying in the US.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have mixed feelings about that. As a matter of principal and legality, they shouldn't be collecting VAT from a US customer. It doesn't make sense. But I guess in a pure "do you come out ahead" standpoint, you probably are ok. I wonder why they are unprofessional? Figuring out billing and VAT is not rocket science and based on their website, it looks like they have been doing this (online sales) for a while.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the shopping cart, didn't it show you whether VAT is taken off or not before you commited?

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the shopping cart, didn't it show you whether VAT is taken off or not before you commited?

Yeah - it showed that it hadn't been taken off. Like I said, I wasn't too fussed because it came out cheaper than buying from the US anyway. However, if they had tried to charge both VAT and postage, I would have told them to go swivel.

Last edited:

Guus

Reaction score

Hey Guus,
How has the order gone?  Did they honor the free shipping?  Thinking of ordering a jacket from country attire and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Chris

They did honor the free shipping, but my bank (BoA) charged 11$ in bank fees for buying and converging to pounds. They sent me a tracking info and it is land side, but I'm still waiting. I give them my recommendations. They are sound.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads