• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offensively Bold Tailored Clothing

pejsek

Reaction score
The narcissism of small differences. Here in San Francisco that getup would certainly mark you as The Man (and subject you to all reasonable disparagement). But, of course, here in the more rarified world of the styleforum your points well-taken and it's just plain nice to have such a keen articulation of the anti Apparel Arts aesthetic. Just a quibble, however. I'm not sure that suit is quite properly described as a 6x1, as I'm quite sure I see a second buttonhole cut above and in line with the lower one. While such a non-functional detail may in fact be a further transgression against the rules of conservative business dress, it really messes up the lines of the classic 6x1-- which should be as low buttoning as possible with the buttons forming a bold V to echo the lines of the lapels. Ideally, the 6x1 is finished off with a pair of low vamp tassle loafers. The invocation of the Duke of Kent is telling. You seem to be mired in a thirties; the fog of time casts soft shadows over everything, further enhancing an inherent reverence for the past. What's not conservative about that? Now if you were to pair the same suit with one of Orrin Hatch's ties....
Anyway, that's one of the most beautiful suits I've seen in a long time. Very nicely done! Care to share the details? A shame you may not be able to wear it to your day job.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Are you one of those dull-witted bovines who ate paste in grammar school as if it were some sort of delicacy?

Mmmmmm, paste ...

ralphwiggum.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
My plan to make you post pictures of yourself wearing Sugar Canes with a hoodie and looking like a total candyass has failed.

The day will come when Manton and IamMatt put on the hoodie and train conductor cap!!!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore hoodies and jeans last Sunday. I'll probably do it again tomorrow, and I promise to take some pics.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wore hoodies and jeans last Sunday. I'll probably do it again tomorrow, and I promise to take some pics.

Here's pic of my niece sporting a hoodie; notice the pocket square
smile.gif

316w9pw.jpg

Put on a train conductor cap!

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, this is not conservative business dress,

But I love it, I have a similar suit and love the combination....

BTW, nobody wears a suit in my business out of the high level managers, and myself
wink.gif
, So I can proudly wear what I want.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
I'm not sure that suit is quite properly described as a 6x1, as I'm quite sure I see a second buttonhole cut above and in line with the lower one.
Actually, the 6x1 can take either a keystone button stance or a traditional 6x2 button stance:

1930sesquire056tu0.jpg

Perhaps I am wrong to call it a 6x1, however. Perhaps it would be better described as a DB with a 6x2 button stance but a long roll lapel.

While such a non-functional detail may in fact be a further transgression against the rules of conservative business dress, it really messes up the lines of the classic 6x1-- which should be as low buttoning as possible with the buttons forming a bold V to echo the lines of the lapels.
I disagree with this, and much prefer the 6x2 LR to the 6x1 keystone, except perhaps on certain vertically challenged individuals. I also think that a low button stance rarely looks good, and that on any DB that buttons at the bottom, the button stance ought to be raised a bit.

But enough digressions! This thread is not about AAED. That subject is amply covered by Tutee at the London Lounge. This thread is about OBTC!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
devil.gif
Well he better have some damn spectators on with that suit.

What musical broadway show is this suit from?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Whoo! That is one crazy get-up, mister... Are you in the show?"

"No, actually, I'm English."

"Oh... sorry."

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pocket square is not nearly foppish enough to my eye.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
You guys don't know **** about dressing bold, now this fella here...

TBtux.jpg

a true dandy if there ever was one

His shorts are too long...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
I need a glossary to keep up with the abbreviations.

I hope Manton takes a whack at Trad next.

You can rest assured that an OCBD is not OBTC, but neither is it UCBD.

Originally Posted by Manton
Pay attention, you slack-jawed yokels. The lesson is not about Trad. It is about Conservative Business Dress. Conservative business dressers haven't worn Trad since 1965. Today Trad is a fad; it makes you stand out. NOT CONSERVATIVE.

Maybe it's just DRAB.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this qualify as offensively bold?

dsc004004bv.jpg

You will observe the following:

(1) The base color for the suit is black.

(2) The suit has a wide white pinstripe.

(3) Observe the dark red pocket square'

(4) Observe that it is being worn with monkstraps.
eek.gif

(5) The tie is woven and it is orange and perfectly dimpled.

OBTC or not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads