• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

rmc

Reaction score
How does the quality of the Oakstreet trench boot compare with Viberg service boot (for those that own a pair of vibergs)? Considering buying a pair of OSB's trench cap toe or plain, since they are $2-300 cheaper and the leather quality is the same...not sure about comfort tho

Last edited:

westie187

Reaction score
I'm not knocking OSB, but I'd have to respectively disagree about the leather being the same...

I've owned the OSB trench boot in the natty CXL and rough out. While they were nice boots, the leather and craftsmanship are vastly different.

Viberg appears to just get better quality leather and build a better boot. They're worth the extra cost, IMO.

Last edited:

rmc

Reaction score

I'm not knocking OSB, but I'd have to respectively disagree about the leather being the same...

I've owned the OSB trench boot in the natty CXL and rough out. While they were nice boots, the leather and craftsmanship are vastly different.

Viberg appears to just get better quality leather and build a better boot. They're worth the extra cost, IMO.

I guess I incorrectly assumed that bc they were both sourced from Horween, they would be the same level of quality.Thank you for the input nonetheless.

westie187

Reaction score
@rmc: OSB had an affiliate thread here that they have since closed, and there was quite a bit of talk on there regarding the creasing of their leather and QC issues. The craftsmanship on my boots was impeccable.

From my experience my OSBs did have a tendency for more creasing. I had three of their boots: the natural CXL, rough out, and color 8 CXLTrenches. The color 8s in particular creased quite a bit. CXL does crease, it's part of what the leather is known for.

Best of luck with your decision.

fitchottie

Reaction score

I guess I incorrectly assumed that bc they were both sourced from Horween, they would be the same level of quality.Thank you for the input nonetheless.

I have Vibergs brown cap toe xl that crease the same as OSB and just like Alden.
Viberg I believe uses 5.5 oz xl which may or may not come from mexico, where Nicks uses 6oz + for xl.

The only reason you would pay more for Viberg, is you like the profile better and the leather they use.
There customer service is no better than OSB, Viberg doesn't even return emails half the time. Tony will respond to email.
Also keep in mind that Guy from Viberg now uses the excuse the xl creases and loose grain is normal and he says that on the basis that is what Horween says.

seasquirrel

Reaction score
A question about the rough out leather: my understanding is it's the same natural chromexcel, simply inside-out. Does this mean I should expect the same amount of stretch from the rough out trench boots as the natty cxl boots? (my wide feet appreciate chromexcel stretching!)

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question about the rough out leather: my understanding is it's the same natural chromexcel, simply inside-out. Does this mean I should expect the same amount of stretch from the rough out trench boots as the natty cxl boots? (my wide feet appreciate chromexcel stretching!)

Owning a pair of natty roughouts, I can say that in my case, There has been a little stretch. Not as much as my CXL indys (but I also dont worry the OSB trench as often.

Couple pics to whore my pair out, including the inside natty cxl shot. excuse the poor photos, using my phone in a dark room at the moment

Edit: my pair has been treated with snoseal as I wasn't a fan of the light color from the manuf. Snoseal definitely knocked down the roughout but I like the finished results moreso than the original.

Last edited:

seasquirrel

Reaction score
Owning a pair of natty roughouts, I can say that in my case, There has been a little stretch. Not as much as my CXL indys (but I also dont worry the OSB trench as often. Couple pics to whore my pair out, including the inside natty cxl shot. excuse the poor photos, using my phone in a dark room at the moment Edit: my pair has been treated with snoseal as I wasn't a fan of the light color from the manuf. Snoseal definitely knocked down the roughout but I like the finished results moreso than the original.
Thanks for the info and pictures! I like the look of your roughouts. I'm guessing hitting them with some Obenaufs would lead to a similar look.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Meant to post yesterday but forgot to!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Owning a pair of natty roughouts, I can say that in my case, There has been a little stretch. Not as much as my CXL indys (but I also dont worry the OSB trench as often. Couple pics to whore my pair out, including the inside natty cxl shot. excuse the poor photos, using my phone in a dark room at the moment Edit: my pair has been treated with snoseal as I wasn't a fan of the light color from the manuf. Snoseal definitely knocked down the roughout but I like the finished results moreso than the original.
Looking great ! Nice work with these!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member