• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only know of 2 stores that took it in Navy in the UK: End & The Hip Store.

Try contacting Cabourn to see if they have any or a sample or if they can let you know which stores ordered it? But don't get your hopes up, their customer services is well below par.

Nookitect

Reaction score

I only know of 2 stores that took it in Navy in the UK: End & The Hip Store.

Try contacting Cabourn to see if they have any or a sample or if they can let you know which stores ordered it? But don't get your hopes up, their customer services is well below par.

Agreed on the service. I have messaged them at least 5-6 times about getting some replacement clips for my Odell Jacket. Finally got a response this last time and they said the would send them. That was over a month ago, no clips...I have emailed since and no response.

I have also tried messaging them about finding a particular item with zero response also.

Crazy that a company that charges what they do has such crappy customer service

Werder

Reaction score
Same problem. I have emailed them so many times without getting any reply on my requests and questions. Its strange that they don't back up their great products with an excellent customer service.

migsy999

Reaction score
I can only say WOW on everyone's criticism of Cabourns CS.

They have been immense with me.
Spare buttons no problem, within 2 days. Answers to emails within an hour or so.

They have also done a few repairs free of charge.

I have to say the best CS I've ever had of any company, not just fashion.

Try talking to Drew on Twitter if you can't get through to CS. Or call the Newcastle office.
I can't speak highly enough of them. Sadie and Drew are brilliant.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How does Ventile compare against Gortex or Macintosh bonded cotton?

I have jackets in all three materials, and TBH I find them all pretty much the same in terms of reasonable functionality.

Technically speaking, Mackintosh's bonded cotton is more waterproof, but in functional use, all three are water resistaent enough to get you through a wet day in the city. Most of us carry umbrellas anyway, and some of us take cabs when it's too wet out. At some point, any advantage one fabric has over the other becomes overkill (not a bad thing, as I like overkill, but it's good to recognize when you're buying something just because it's fun, and not because it's meaningfully better for your life).

The real difference, IMO, is in the drape and feel of the fabrics, which are very different when worn. Ventile feels soft, like any other cloth, while bonded cotton can feel like a tarp. Ventile also breathes a lot better than bonded cotton, which may or may not make a difference to you on a warm day. I live in a town once with hot summer rainstorms, and I wouldn't want to wear bonded cotton in that kind of weather.

Actually, would be cool if Nigel Cabourn did something with Event. As of now, AFAIK, it's only used for techy outdoor garments

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in terms of water proof I find gore performs the best. Mackintosh holds up well but like u said doesn't breather and ventile feels the nicest. Foret just feels very much like plastic. I would get another ventile piece just to see how it is

forsan

Reaction score
On a side note, I picked up this Filson collab prototype Hunting Jacket made from cotton instead of wool. Pretty excited about it.

Wow, great looking jacket. Don't think I've seen this before when viewing the Filson stuff, even in person here at the Portland store. Was this part of the collection or a sample? Mind sharing where you got it from?

PhilVo

Reaction score
Regarding Nigel Cabourn's CS: I had multiple problems with my Everest Parka that I bought from 14oz about 3 months ago (one buttonhole almost fell apart, now the stitching where the string around the hip comes out is also lose and needs to be repaired). I contacted them and got a response in 20 minutes. We emailed back and forth and the jacket will be repaired or replaced. Either way, not 100% happy with the jacket right now, but it will be taken care off. I will drop off the jacket in their store in Covent Garden to have it repaired.

Last edited:

Phil McCrackin

Reaction score
Any issues I tend to call now to resolve l email can be infuriating if you get no reply , Cabourn CS for me is mixed , good comms having just bought navy indigo vested Cameraman , back and forward good info , but past has been very sketchy ..
So impressed by the Cameraman I took the navy brown from smith and Morris , another lovely coat , having not really liked the colour combo ..

I'm totally intrigued now by Everest twist rustic - can't find many pics , if you have any in the locker please share ..

kojiro

Reaction score
Giving you heads up guys- I'm selling my mint (worn a few times) FW12-13 orange Everest Parka sz 48. Msg me if interested. Price is $2k + fees and it is like new.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cabourn sale watch

Just looking around the web on UK shops and I think the pick of the reductions so far is the brown Donkey Jacket at Flannels - half price to £400
The brown version sold out everywhere else quite quickly because being brown, it isn't too literal to the black or dark navy iconic British working coat.
Also the brown version has fantastically thick brown leather whereas the navy has thinner softer leather
The brown is a great jacket, rugged with plenty of longevity and is a star of the A/W collection.
Flannels can be a bit slow with mail order because they have their stock divided up between a few stores and use Yodel for delivery in the UK, at least have shops and real people who will try to help if things don't go according to plan

I tried the Donkey Jacket on in Flannels yesterday and I felt like Robocop, I couldn't bend my arms at all due to the thickness of the leather. With my arms at my side I liked the jacket a lot but felt it was unwearable, I'm guessing the leather would soften up but with the wear I would give it, I would probably be dead first.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried the Donkey Jacket on in Flannels yesterday and I felt like Robocop, I couldn't bend my arms at all due to the thickness of the leather. With my arms at my side I liked the jacket a lot but felt it was unwearable, I'm guessing the leather would soften up but with the wear I would give it, I would probably be dead first.

How did you find the fit across the shoulders? A few here have commented that it's cut very narrow across the shoulders and around the armpits.
___

Has anyone here made a return to Flannels? I used their Collect Plus pre-addressed returns label, and according to tracking they received the item back last Wednesday morning. However no confirmation from them that it's been received or when I will receive my refund, I have chased up today but received an automated message stating my message had been put in a queue because they are busy. Do they deduct an amount for the the cost of the return, or is it free returns? They sort of mention this on the site, but it's not entirely clear.

If anyone is looking for an Air Craft in size 52/Rust I would expect it will be listed up in the next few day.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics