• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Nicks Boots Shuyler

Has anyone ever had a 10” veg tan Builder Pro made? Or would you put that into the “just because you can, doesn’t mean that you should” category?
I don’t think so, but that’s basically an urban logger with veg tan; I think it would be sweet

andy b.

Reaction score
I was finally able to get some pics outside in natural light. These are my favorite pair of boots, and I receive compliments every day I wear them. For the first week I only wore them about a half day until the uppers were broken in, but now I wear them 4 or 5 days per week all day without any issues. The uppers broke in a lot quicker than expected. The break-in was quicker than with my Hotshots in Tan Teton, and this W&C leather felt twice as stiff to start with. The double midsole is another story. LOL

The fit is just what I was looking for. No heel slip, and enough room for my toes in the pointed-toe last. The arch support is on the high end, but not as extreme as some other Packer-style footwear I’ve tried or owned. I trimmed about 1” from the tongue, which is about what I was expecting.

The Wickett & Craig veg-tanned leather is beautiful. I have no doubt it would hold up as well as any of the standard work leathers. I also have to say that I think Nicks is very conservative on their leather thickness ratings. The leather is easily as thick as the 7-8oz work leathers I have on footwear from a few of the other PNW boot companies. I swear the toe leather is 3/16” thick. A word on the double midsole. I have other footwear with a double midsole. On one pair of workboots I have the double midsole and a Vibram 100 lug outsole. The V100 sole provides some cushioning effect to counteract the double midsole, but even with that, the double layer seems to have moderate flex. The midsole leather Nicks uses is like ¼” steel plates. I walk on a lot of gravel paths all day, and I can’t even feel the gravel through the footbed. The midsole is taking a little longer than expected to break in and fully conform to the contours of my feet. I have no doubt that once broken in these boots will feel like a custom-molded orthotic sole.

I also want to add that these boots have no polish on them. I don’t know exactly what Nicks finishes the edges with, but to me it felt like beeswax. It definitely isn’t something like Resolene. After about the first week of wear, I put on a very light application of Obenauf’s HDLP on the uppers using a soft toothbrush, mainly to get some conditioning in along the areas where creasing was starting. All I do now is brush them off at the end of the day using a horsehair brush to get all the fine dust off. I’ve found that dust building up in any creases will suck the natural oils out of the leather and lead to cracking. It takes less than a minute to brush off each boot. That’s all I do. No polishing, no buffing or anything taking more than a minute. I’m certain you could put a shine on the toe and heel if you wanted.

Thanks again Shuyler and team for building these!!!

Nicks_Packers_2021MAR02h.jpg

Nicks_Packers_2021MAR02b.jpg

Nicks_Packers_2021MAR02i.jpg

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was finally able to get some pics outside in natural light. These are my favorite pair of boots, and I receive compliments every day I wear them. For the first week I only wore them about a half day until the uppers were broken in, but now I wear them 4 or 5 days per week all day without any issues. The uppers broke in a lot quicker than expected. The break-in was quicker than with my Hotshots in Tan Teton, and this W&C leather felt twice as stiff to start with. The double midsole is another story. LOL

The fit is just what I was looking for. No heel slip, and enough room for my toes in the pointed-toe last. The arch support is on the high end, but not as extreme as some other Packer-style footwear I’ve tried or owned. I trimmed about 1” from the tongue, which is about what I was expecting.

The Wickett & Craig veg-tanned leather is beautiful. I have no doubt it would hold up as well as any of the standard work leathers. I also have to say that I think Nicks is very conservative on their leather thickness ratings. The leather is easily as thick as the 7-8oz work leathers I have on footwear from a few of the other PNW boot companies. I swear the toe leather is 3/16” thick. A word on the double midsole. I have other footwear with a double midsole. On one pair of workboots I have the double midsole and a Vibram 100 lug outsole. The V100 sole provides some cushioning effect to counteract the double midsole, but even with that, the double layer seems to have moderate flex. The midsole leather Nicks uses is like ¼” steel plates. I walk on a lot of gravel paths all day, and I can’t even feel the gravel through the footbed. The midsole is taking a little longer than expected to break in and fully conform to the contours of my feet. I have no doubt that once broken in these boots will feel like a custom-molded orthotic sole.

I also want to add that these boots have no polish on them. I don’t know exactly what Nicks finishes the edges with, but to me it felt like beeswax. It definitely isn’t something like Resolene. After about the first week of wear, I put on a very light application of Obenauf’s HDLP on the uppers using a soft toothbrush, mainly to get some conditioning in along the areas where creasing was starting. All I do now is brush them off at the end of the day using a horsehair brush to get all the fine dust off. I’ve found that dust building up in any creases will suck the natural oils out of the leather and lead to cracking. It takes less than a minute to brush off each boot. That’s all I do. No polishing, no buffing or anything taking more than a minute. I’m certain you could put a shine on the toe and heel if you wanted.

View attachment 1565801

View attachment 1565799

View attachment 1565803
Looks like a winner there, Andy. They look awesome!!

montanamike

Reaction score

View attachment 1565801

View attachment 1565799

View attachment 1565803
Sublime... they have the "it" factor in spades. I am still riding the fence on veg tan as I never know what I will get into but pictures like this make me feel like I am missing a good party.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
Got my first pair of Nick's in on Friday a week and a half ago. NWF Urban Loggers. They're awesome.

Nick's sent instructions saying not to wear them for more than 30 min the first day (or something like that). So naturally, I wore them to work for over 10 hrs on Saturday... and then Sunday.... and much of last week including hiking the following Saturday. After waiting eagerly in anticipation for them, I didn't want to only wear them for short periods.

Honestly, I think the break in worries are a little bit exaggerated. I felt them to be really comfortable after adjusting to them for about 10 min. Caveats:
1) I have low volume feet with low insteps but probably high arches, and the significant arch is probably helping me out a bunch.
2) I'm a light dude. Really light. This might make break in less painful I'm guessing?
3) I'm a cancer researcher, and while I'm on my feet most of the day, I'm standing on linoleum tiles not rugged terrain. If I was in a job site or say, doing actual logging, I could imagine them hurting more. That said, I found them great to wear hiking.

Not the greatest pictures, but here are a couple:
B01AEBC9-E6B5-47DF-B997-80B1707A5E50.jpeg

04FCA07F-3EB5-48C4-9AE0-2226C4EC0A8B.jpeg

montanamike

Reaction score
Got my first pair of Nick's in on Friday a week and a half ago. NWF Urban Loggers. They're awesome.

Nick's sent instructions saying not to wear them for more than 30 min the first day (or something like that). So naturally, I wore them to work for over 10 hrs on Saturday... and then Sunday.... and much of last week including hiking the following Saturday. After waiting eagerly in anticipation for them, I didn't want to only wear them for short periods.

Honestly, I think the break in worries are a little bit exaggerated. I felt them to be really comfortable after adjusting to them for about 10 min. Caveats:
1) I have low volume feet with low insteps but probably high arches, and the significant arch is probably helping me out a bunch.
2) I'm a light dude. Really light. This might make break in less painful I'm guessing?
3) I'm a cancer researcher, and while I'm on my feet most of the day, I'm standing on linoleum tiles not rugged terrain. If I was in a job site or say, doing actual logging, I could imagine them hurting more. That said, I found them great to wear hiking.

Not the greatest pictures, but here are a couple:
View attachment 1566996
View attachment 1566997
Looks like you are off to a great start.. My personal opinion is a lot of break in issues are actually fit issues.

Great to hear you are off to a great start as that is a terrific looking pair.

Phanes

Reaction score
Looks like you are off to a great start.. My personal opinion is a lot of break in issues are actually fit issue.

True that, if it is not some unusual leather break in is more a matter of fit and good socks. Both, cxl and the work leather were maybe the easiest break in.

I'm a cancer researcher, and while I'm on my feet most of the day, I'm standing on linoleum tiles not rugged terrain.
Coolio. No matter why or what you wear, everything that provides contact to the earth is a good spot to spend money. boots, bed, car wheels ect., Sooner or later your health could depend on it.

Nice boots that waxed flesh looks great after some abuse.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
How long did it take between ordering them and receiving them?
I ordered them on the labor day sale (MTO not one of the stock makeups) and I got them 2 weeks ago. I also ended up doing a try on boot (since I was a bit surprised to find out that the recommended size was slightly larger than I expected), and that boot went back in at some point in November (the try on boot has to be available and then shipped back). I also think they may have closed down or had limited production due to COVID. So, it was about 5+ months, BUT I'm guessing the turnaround is much faster now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads