• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nicks Handmade Boots Official Affiliate Thread

forestradio

Reaction score
Concerning the high arch/67 last boots, there's an option to increase the sole stack from 3/4" to 1" (Stitched through-thick vs Non-stitched through-thicker). Does anyone know if this affects the amount of arch support one way or another?

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Concerning the high arch/67 last boots, there's an option to increase the sole stack from 3/4" to 1" (Stitched through-thick vs Non-stitched through-thicker). Does anyone know if this affects the amount of arch support one way or another?
Hi. I would not say it provides more support out of the box, but if one is a larger person, say 250+ lbs, it can provide a little stiffer support over time as it is essentially more layers of midsole leather between you and the ground. Downsides to it are a longer break-in period and a stiffer base of the boot which can be inconvenient if you are kneeling and bending a lot.

andy b.

Reaction score
I just saw some Tanker love on I-g! Those are awesome! I have a pair from the 80s and was wondering if one of the PNW companies would bring the style back. Perfect leather for the samples, too!

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just saw some Tanker love on I-g! Those are awesome! I have a pair from the 80s and was wondering if one of the PNW companies would bring the style back. Perfect leather for the samples, too!
Thanks Andy. I wore the test boots for a while and they are pretty sweet. Now I just need a tank.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I honestly didn’t know what tanker boots were until about 40 hours ago... but in that same amount of time, it’s come to my understanding that my life is wholly inadequate without a pair.
Yeah, we’ve been messing around with these for a year, or so. Originally inspired by boots worn by tank soldiers, they are big with welders as you can get them off more quickly if a spark gets in there. By nature, they are not like lace up boots in terms of how tight they fit, but you get used to it, just full disclosure there.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, we’ve been messing around with these for a year, or so. Originally inspired by boots worn by tank soldiers, they are big with welders as you can get them off more quickly if a spark gets in there. By nature, they are not like lace up boots in terms of how tight they fit, but you get used to it, just full disclosure there.
And to reply further, I should give a shoutout to Dehner boots, basically the original Tanker boot.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
Thanks for the fit insight... so I'm getting they're basically like engineer boots, but with a conventional tongue and a somewhat snugger fastening system. Which was basically the single fit/feel shortcoming that always made me shy away from engineers, lol.

Can't even imagine how stunning a pair of these would look in a well-patina'd natural CXL.

Nicks Boots Shuyler

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the fit insight... so I'm getting they're basically like engineer boots, but with a conventional tongue and a somewhat snugger fastening system. Which was basically the single fit/feel shortcoming that always made me shy away from engineers, lol.

Can't even imagine how stunning a pair of these would look in a well-patina'd natural CXL.
I think that's a fair description. We're offering them in just the work leathers now to simplify the initial production run but I anticipate we'll be opening up to the heritage leathers in the next few weeks based on the response.

Also, we should finally have the Wickett and Craig options in the normal lineup available in 2 weeks and apologize for the delay on those, I know I've been talking about those for a while but leather sourcing is kind of crazy right now.

andy b.

Reaction score

And your description is exactly why I'm interested in them. On normal Engineer boots I can fit two of my ankles in the shaft. LOL
The Tanker solves a lot of that issue.

Cycling Sasquatch

Reaction score
And your description is exactly why I'm interested in them. On normal Engineer boots I can fit two of my ankles in the shaft. LOL
The Tanker solves a lot of that issue.
11.5/11EE with a 9E ankle/instep here, brother. The struggle is real, innit?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.