• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2011/2012 Discussion

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Pack gets matched up with the NFC South and AFC West :)lol:), neither division being that much of a powerhouse beyond the Saints we already beat. I can see a 13-3 season quite easily. Maybe drop the game to Atlanta at home, though we did dominate there last year, one to the Lions in Detroit as long as Stafford stays healthy and....... hm..... 14-2 seems presumptuous, but it's possible. The Giants are ridiculously devastated with injuries and the season hasn't even started, the Chargers have that loser Norv leading them, and neither the Bears nor Vikings seem like contenders. Throw in another random loss in there when we're not firing on all cylinders then. I'll stand by 13-3.

I don't understand how the Bears aren't getting respect this season. They won the NFC North last year and made it to the championship game. Is it that stupid Calvin Johnson play? Preseason performance?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm probably underestimating them. They're one of those teams that just seems to be missing that "spark". I could easily see being mediocre but I really should reserve judgment until a few weeks have gone by. Maybe chalk up the 3rd loss to them. Those division battles are always rough.

What were their big offseason moves? Roy Williams? He's a bum and word out of the Bears' camp is the same. I'll never understand them thinking Hester is an actual no. 1 receiver either. They just don't seem as explosive as some of the other teams in the NFC and I'll be amazed if Cutler can stand up to another year of the abuse he suffered behind that shoddy O-line.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see the Bears, it seems like they have about three pass plays and all of them are "chuck it downfield". They have always been the masters of the timely defensive turnover, though. No matter how much they seem to suck you can't really put them down as a definite win.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Bears pulled out quite a few close wins last year, they could have easily been a .500 team and missed the playoffs. Plus their defense is getting old, Urlacher isn't the same player he once was and Cutler has show that he makes bad decisions throwing into double and triple coverage sometimes. Their o-line is bad but I think that also has some to do with Mike Martz, his routes take a while to develop and that line isn't built to hold up. Same issue when Martz was in Detroit, Lions led the league or were close to it each year in sacks given up. I definitely think the Bears and Vikings are on their way down while the Lions are up and coming and Packers are obviously already there.
Remember too that the only team the Bears had to play to make it to the NFC title game last year was Seattle, a team with a losing record who had no business being in the playoffs.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bears pulled out quite a few close wins last year, they could have easily been a .500 team and missed the playoffs. Plus their defense is getting old, Urlacher isn't the same player he once was and Cutler has show that he makes bad decisions throwing into double and triple coverage sometimes. Their o-line is bad but I think that also has some to do with Mike Martz, his routes take a while to develop and that line isn't built to hold up. Same issue when Martz was in Detroit, Lions led the league or were close to it each year in sacks given up. I definitely think the Bears and Vikings are on their way down while the Lions are up and coming and Packers are obviously already there.
Remember too that the only team the Bears had to play to make it to the NFC title game last year was Seattle, a team with a losing record who had no business being in the playoffs.

And the Texans are going to the Super Bowl?:lol:

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saints +4.5
Atlanta -2.5
Titans +3
Dallas +4.5
NE -7

Ehh bad result but still happy with the pick. The Packers played almost flawless and NO had a costly early fumble that put them behind but the Saints still had a chance to cover from the one yard line as time expired. Honestly, I expected the Saints defense to be better as well.

RE: Bears

They aren't good and were never dominant last year. They will start 2011 0-3 :/

And the Texans were a lot of peoples pick even before PM went down. They will have a terrific offense and their defense shouldn't be the worst in the league this year. If the defense is even decent, they will be very competitive going into the playoffs. And once you're in, anything can happen (see: Colts only winning one SB, Sanchez with playoff success, Pats not winning since January 2008, Larry Fitzgerald's Cardinals) because of the one-and-done format the NFL uses. Arian Foster is a mother ******* star. I love his attitude and also watching him run; he's smooth yet aggressive. So yea, it isn't a stretch to include the Texans in the SB

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Texans have a great offense, but can't stop anybody. They'll win the AFC South and get pummeled in the first round of the playoffs by the Ravens/Steelers.

To be fair to Norv Turner, the Chargers have a history of choking. They choked under Marty Schottenheimer and choked under Don Coryell in the 1980s. I think it has something to do with being a pass-oriented, warm-weather team not being able to win a road playoff game in cold weather.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eager for Sunday. I hope McNabb royally screws up, gets the bench, and Joe Webb takes over for the Vikings. Ponder's got an arm, but Webb just seems so much more athletic.

Also, that GB/NO game made me sad.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no question Webb is more athletic. He's a threat when he runs, but consider me skeptical on his throwing ability. This isn't college, you're not going to win with a primarily rushing QB.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's no question Webb is more athletic. He's a threat when he runs, but consider me skeptical on his throwing ability. This isn't college, you're not going to win with a primarily rushing QB.

Webb hasn't been given too many opportunities, but last season when he took over for Favre he nailed it. He didn't start out as a QB, so he's going to need to develop in his throws. He makes good decisions, though, and an intrinsic ability to keep the play alive while moving in the pocket. One fault I have is that once he puts the ball down, he rarely throws. Unlike Aaron Rodgers, who will scramble in the pocket but keep his eyes downfield.

Given the number [and diversity] of Vikings threats, I'm sure Webb will get plenty of play time this year (ie: in a wildcat formation, or something of that nature).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't stand how dudes are still riding the Patriots so hard. Their defense won't be any good and Tom Brady has a bunch of mediocre talent surrounding him. Texans or Chargers will represent the AFC in the Superbowl.

stop it.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manning's surgery is supposedly routine, but it sounds awful. A piece of metal connecting vertabrae in the neck gives me the willies.

He's supposed to lose 10% of motion in the neck. Even if it is successful, I wonder how his game will be affected. He is constantly looking from side to side when under center.

Here's Sports Science on the risks:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6947721&categoryid=2378529

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What were their big offseason moves? Roy Williams? He's a bum and word out of the Bears' camp is the same. I'll never understand them thinking Hester is an actual no. 1 receiver either. They just don't seem as explosive as some of the other teams in the NFC and I'll be amazed if Cutler can stand up to another year of the abuse he suffered behind that shoddy O-line.

Yep, the two starting recievers are Hester and Williams. Not amazing talent there. But the bench receivers are very good. Earl Bennett (huge tackle breaker ), Johnny Knox (blazing speed after the catch like Hester), and Dane Sanzenbacher (a small rookie who's drawn been likened to Wes Welker in the preaseason)

The Bears' first round draft pick, Carimi, is supposed to bolster the O-line significantly. They also replaced aging center Olin Kreutz with Seahawks center Chris Spencer (who might be injury prone). But improvement in the O-line is also contingent on Mike Tice's coaching. We'll have to see about that.

One baffling offseason move was the decision to get rid of Greg Olsen (a "receiving" TE) AND Brandon Manumaleuna (a "blocking" TE). You'd think the office would have kept one.

munchausen said:
Whenever I see the Bears, it seems like they have about three pass plays and all of them are "chuck it downfield". They have always been the masters of the timely defensive turnover, though. No matter how much they seem to suck you can't really put them down as a definite win.

Definitely still a defense and special teams-oriented team. But the defense helps in a big way. All I meant was that they deserve to be ranked ahead of the Lions going into this season.

airblaster502 said:
Urlacher isn't the same player

LOL, he made the Pro Bowl and had one of his best seasons last year. Still plenty of life in Urlacher.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2140/brian-urlacher

Plus, Peppers, Briggs, and hopefully Meriweather will bolster the defense.

Last edited:

airblaster503

Reaction score
Between edinatlanta, jrd617, and I we will see who is laughing at the end of the season. Jay Cutler is still going to be a qb that makes bad decisions behind a bad line, and you can point to Urlachers numbers all you want, doesn't change the fact that he is 33 years old and is due to have a drop in production. And Merriweather could pay off but the guys mechanics are horrible. He just goes out there to try and blow players up which is great to see when he connects but he misses way to often and gives up the big plays. That is why the Pats released him.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you can point to Urlachers numbers all you want, doesn't change the fact that he is 33 years old and is due to have a drop in production.

There is no reason to believe that a decline is imminent THIS season.

By your logic, Tom Brady will likely have a bad season this year. He's going to get hit a lot, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads