• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York "clubby" stores

newyorker

Reaction score
Gents, Any thoughts on these stores? I was walking around on Sunday, most of these stores were closed during Easter, but they looked really interesting: Peter Elliot Peter Elliot Blue (noticed some shirts in really nice shades of blue; they also have an excellent selection of clothes for kids; colorful but more reserved and tailored than JCrew/PoloRL) Jay Kos David Cenci (really liked what they had on their website http://www.davidcenci.com) Domenico Vacca (shirt patterns were very attractive) other similar stores? I think the shopping experience at these small clubby stores might be interesting. Reviews on their merchandise, style and price range would be terrific for New Yorkers (and visitors) on this board. I have already searched the forum, and they haven't been mentioned much.

lisapop

Reaction score
Davide Cenci---If I could live in that store, I would.  Truth be told, I'm there so often, they could charge me for room and board.  David (Cenci), manager of the Madison Ave. store, and scion of the business (Original store in Rome) is a true gentleman and a paragon of sophistication.  Remembers his customers' names and greets them by their surnames.  Brilliant taste in selecting some of the finest resources available.  But, always with a subtle, conservative elegance.  For many, it's the only clothing store they shop at.  Everything under one roof and all of the merchandise  blends so well.  Amazing corduroys.  Unique, often one-of-a-kind outerwear.  Staff is polite, low-key, understated, knowledgeable, and extremely customer-focused. Sublime in every way.

From the sublime to the ridiculous---Peter Elliot.  High quality merchandise from among the best resources around the world, however Elliot is crude and rude (In other words, a typical NYer) and way too aggressive a salesperson, to be completely blunt, making the shopping experience most unpleasant when he is there.  I was there one Sunday, and he was actually standing on a wooden platform during a sale shouting out the discounted prices of ties, shirts, and sweaters, with customers clamoring to grab the merchandise.  Nice.  Very classy.  The quiet elegance of a speeding locomotive.  When he is not at the store, his underlings emulate him quite proficiently, making you feel as though they are doing you a huge favor by allowing you to be on the premises.  The attitude is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.  

Jay Kos---See Peter Elliot.

Vacca---Went in one day, tried on hideously expensive jacket, which fit me just as hideously, and was told by Mr. Vacca it looked "wonderful" on me.  Asked if he had a tailor on the premises to have a look, was told tailor away for a few minutes but would call me when tailor returned.  Left all my contact info, but was never contacted.  Subsequently ran into Mr. Vacca on the street near his store, he acknowledged me, but never invited me to return to consult with tailor.  Not to be outdone by 7-fold ties, Vacca is selling 9-fold Attolini ties.  I've yet to see anyone actually purchasing anything from the store.  One redeeming quality is the ubiquitous presence of extremely attractive saleswomen.
Grayson    

Phil

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser is pretty clubby, and a beautifully decorated store. 57th and madison

Phil

Reaction score
oh forgot one of my favorites - Jack Spade, on Greene st. Interesting store, just for the odd selection of products. I have one of their cotton macintosh raincoats, its the best. Great bags too, leather and otherwise.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Herzfeld? They just moved from Madison & 52 to 57th between Park & Lexington.

lisapop

Reaction score
The Robert Talbott shop on Madison Ave., a few paces north of Lobb, has a clubby atmosphere associated with it, as those in the store are invariably extremely polished and well-dressed.
Grayson

newyorker

Reaction score
I was there one Sunday, and he was actually standing on a wooden platform during a sale shouting out the discounted prices of ties, shirts, and sweaters, with customers clamoring to grab the merchandise.  Nice.  Very classy.
That is hard to believe. And to think that Peter Elliot caters to the WASP elites of the Upper East Side?

lisapop

Reaction score
That is hard to believe. And to think that Peter Elliot caters to the WASP elites of the Upper East Side?

Ha.  During the clothing "carnival", with Elliot as carnival barker, the people around me were named Irving, Murray, Sylvia, and Estelle---Best that I could tell, Sylvia was married to Irving, and Estelle to Murray.  Or, maybe it was the other way around.  Hard to tell amidst the cacophony.
Grayson

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven Alan has a barbershop - how much more clubby can you get?  Actually, I find that "hipster" shops are more likely to be cubby than upscale haberdasheries, for which you just need money to get into the "club".  Being "cool" is much more ephemeral.  And (this is a really bad practice, btw, and the best shops are "cool"-blind) God help you if you are like that middle aged guy going into John Cusack's store in High Fidelity and asking for Stevie's Wonders "I just Called to Say I Love You".  The reaction would be more subtle than Jack Black's but nonetheless as offputting.

I like friendly stores.  I *hate* "clubby" ones.  A friend of mine, a good guy, but definitely a khakis and polos dude, went into a westside LA boutique one time, and was really put off by it.  I went in about a week later and told the proprietor that one of his salespeople was a first class ***** and she was pretty much let go immediately. It's hard enough making a go of it in today's retail environment without assholes/bitches running people out. Besides, today's dork in Dockers is tomorrow's re-invented hipster.

cuffthis

Reaction score
No mention of the Flusser Custom Shop?

Interesting........................

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Polo Mansion?

lisapop

Reaction score
oh forgot one of my favorites - Jack Spade

Owned by Kate Spade (sister of David "No" Spade) and her husband, Andy.
Grayson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads