1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New York "clubby" stores

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newyorker, Mar 31, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

oh forgot one of my favorites - Jack Spade
    Owned by Kate Spade (sister of David "No" Spade) and her husband, Andy. Grayson
    I have no idea why, but I knew that fact... Jon.

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

Stubbs & Wooten, purveyors of the family crest-emblazoned velvet slipper. Spilled ketchup on mine [​IMG] Grayson

3. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior Member

(lisapop @ Mar. 31 2005,16:21) Quote oh forgot one of my favorites - Jack Spade
    I have no idea why, but I knew that fact... Jon.[/quote] I knew that fact too. I can't imagine ever buying something from an Andy who was so ashamed of his real name that he came up with "Jack Spade."

4. newyorker

newyorker Senior Member

AND ?????

5. imageWIS

(LA Guy @ Mar. 31 2005,15:59) I went in about a week later and told the proprietor that one of his salespeople was a first class bitch and.
    AND ?????
    I think thats the end of it: "and." Jon.

6. DandySF

DandySF Senior Member

The Belgian Shoe store on the East Side has a clubby atmosphere. I also agree with the observation that Stubbs and Wootton has a club-like feel. I find myself equally drawn to and repulsed by their fussy and extravagant embroidered velvet shoes. In California, where I am, these would create quite a sensation.

7. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

Must say that I have not had anything near the same experience with Peter Elliot's stores. I have found most of the sales folk to be accommodating, friendly, and useful. Have gotten good advise on pattern matches and have have not found the salesmanship to be attitudinal nor crass. I have been there both during sales and during non-sale periods and have been to their newer sales outlet as well as the flagship.

8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior Member

Which I believe is owned by Neiman Marcus. One of the many smaller independent labels NM doesn't advertise they own so's not to ruin the supposed mystique.

9. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

(newyorker @ Mar. 31 2005,13:50) Domenico Vacca (shirt patterns were very attractive)
    Domenico Vacca is sartorial dreamland. Shirts are made by Finamore. Suits / jackets / trousers are made by Cesare Attolini. Simply heaven. Jon.
    What does a Finamore shirt set you back in the states?

10. dorian

dorian Senior Member

At Vacca, three hundred and up - easily

11. scnupe7

scnupe7 Distinguished Member

Wait......I thought Andy was David's brother

12. arvi

arvi Senior Member

That is hard to believe. And to think that Peter Elliot caters to the WASP elites of the Upper East Side?
    Ha. Â During the clothing "carnival", with Elliot as carnival barker, the people around me were named Irving, Murray, Sylvia, and Estelle---Best that I could tell, Sylvia was married to Irving, and Estelle to Murray. Â Or, maybe it was the other way around. Â Hard to tell amidst the cacophony. Grayson
    and what's wrong with people named murray,sylvia,et.al.? [​IMG] besides, many of the wasp elites are still wearing the same clothes from college or that their fathers handed down;so probably don't shop at peter elliott and other similar stores [​IMG]

13. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior Member

I get kinda of a "clubby" feel in JPress, but its a good clubby. More like "We are all in the Trad cult together" than "You are not good enough to be here."

14. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

That's not that bad. It's about the same price level as Europe then. I asked because i've noticed some definite differences in prices between Europe and the US before. From what I understood Brioni and Borrelli are more expensive in the US than in Europe.

15. imageWIS

(dorian @ April 01 2005,02:02) At Vacca, three hundred and up - easily
    That's not that bad. It's about the same price level as Europe then. I asked because i've noticed some definite differences in prices between Europe and the US before. From what I understood Brioni and Borrelli are more expensive in the US than in Europe.
    What is the avg. cost for a Satoria Attolini suit in EU? Jon.