• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

super1flavor

Reaction score
Yeah, but things change. Economy was bad a couple of years ago, especially online, so we got used to the crazy 70% off deals, not just on Yoox but other places too. Now that the economy is slightly better (?) people are buying more, also more people buy online in general, which means more online stores and increased competition, which means less surplus inventory for Yoox to buy. I don't think it's just Yoox that's having less discounts these days, it's everywhere. And I believe Yoox is still riding on their reputation of being a "discount store" but selling a lot of regularly priced items.
I don't think they should, not from what I'm seeing. The last two weekends in Europe we've had -20% codes, and I saw 1000 € Caruso suits in my dreambox get sold out for 600 €. Just a couple of days ago they got a batch of Cucinelli cotton sweaters for 220 € that sold out in my size on the same day. I have a lot of stuff in my dreambox that I'd buy if they'd drop to -70% but they get sold out for maybe -30%. People are buying stuff at higher prices, that's why it's hard to see good deals anymore.

Yoox has Cucinelli boots for 525 € too btw
smile.gif

You do make another good point that there is less surplus to even make its way over to Yoox. Which ties into what I initially said, that other retailers have grown and are far more competitive to move their own inventory without the help of Yoox. I hear you on everything else.

super1flavor

Reaction score
The assertion that Farfetch prices are lower appeared to be farfetched after quick check. Thank you for your not so subtle product placement.
cloud.gif

Yeah, I don't work with them and their customer service is pretty poor, so there's that...Inventory is superb and I'll say it again, this is a perfect example of how I see a lot of things on FarFetch website start as cheaper $471 and now even less with their discounts. 10% more and this sweater is $297. On Mr.Porter it started at $645 and with 30% off its now $452.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/incotex/reversible-virgin-wool-sweater/590859

http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/me...11211961.aspx?storeid=9530&ffref=lp_pic_11_7_

I'll stand behind what I initially said. Thanks.

super1flavor

Reaction score
Your initial argument was intriguing, but saddled with repetition and elliptical remarks. You would achieve more clarity with an economy of text.

Yes, yes. An internet forum where one can convey thoughts. Didn't realize there was an acceptable word count. My apologies.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be defensive. You can write me a novel, but try to order your thoughts. It was a stream of consciousness diatribe riddled with comments like "Weird," "Hmm," "Now that I think of it," and numerous rhetorical questions. You should think about what you wanted to say before communicating.

super1flavor

Reaction score
Don't be defensive. You can write me a novel, but try to order your thoughts. It was a stream of consciousness diatribe riddled with comments like "Weird," "Hmm," "Now that I think of it," and numerous rhetorical questions. You should think about what you wanted to say before communicating.

This is a very strange comment.
puzzled.gif

Rather talk about Yoox stuff or the difference in the sales. But thanks for whatever that is above...

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to further muddy the waters here: below is a pic of the box from a pair of boots I bought from Yoox. At one point it had clearly been on Farfetch, I don't know what the price was on FF, but the Yoox price was very good.

I've never found the pricing on Farfetch all that enticing compared to Yoox, and they rarely have anything I want in my size

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparison of FF with Yoox is strange. As far as I know (may be this has changed?) FF b. model is to link customers up with brick and mortar stores around the world. How is that model can provide lower prices than a warehouse wholesaler is not clear to me. Arguably FF could offer more current models or some esoteric stuff from far fetched places, however that has not been my experience. Anything that I've eve found on FF was at retail or retail+ prices.

Last edited:

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Comparison of FF with Yoox is strange. As far as I know (may be this has changed?) FF b. model is to link customers up with brick and mortar stores around the world. How is that model can provide lower prices than a warehouse wholesaler is not clear to me. Arguably FF could offer more current models or some esoteric stuff from far fetched places, however that has not been my experience. Anything that I've eve found on FF was at retail or retail+ prices.

I agree with you.Even though Yoox doesn't have the bargains it once had and items get sold pretty quickly, there are still a few good items at very good prices - especially if we are talking about not so well-known brands.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess on the Herno pricing is due to the change in the Euro to the Dollar relative to a couple years ago.

newinny

Reaction score
Yoox has a tough pricing challenge: pricing an ever increasing number of SKU's with an ever changing number of designers for worldwide markets with constantly evolving tastes. I think they've gotten better at this and, as a result, average prices have increased in the past two years.

I'm less tempted to purchase things without a substantial discount because it isn't that great of a deal. Furthermore, you could be dealing with a lower quality product (either seconds, damaged goods or straight-to-outlet production). For these reasons, I only buy things from Yoox that I recognize as having been carried by retail stores.

Yoox still lets slip mis-priced items which make for unbelievable deals. For example, I recently purchased this blue Eidos tuxedo for ~$250.

Last edited:

harlemriver

Reaction score

Yoox has a tough pricing challenge: pricing an ever increasing number of SKU's with an ever changing number of designers for worldwide markets with constantly evolving tastes. I think they've gotten better at this and, as a result, average prices have increased in the past two years.

I'm less tempted to purchase things without a substantial discount because it isn't that great of a deal. Furthermore, you could be dealing with a lower quality product (either seconds, damaged goods or straight-to-outlet production). For these reasons, I only buy things from Yoox that I recognize as having been carried by retail stores.

Yoox still lets slip mis-priced items which make for unbelievable deals. For example, I recently purchased this blue Eidos tuxedo for ~$250.

That probably was not a mispricing on that denim blazer. Yoox has extremely good relations with DG and probably paid minimal wholesale. Yoox is a venerable dumping ground for the thousands of senseless non-commercial luxuries produced by the whims of DG.

Last edited:

geneclean5

Reaction score
Some decent price drops for jackets showed up in my dream box this evening.
Combined with the 25% off deal that yoox is currently offering, I ended up with a good price on a RL black label blazer.
Anyone else have the same?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads