• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 'top drawer' Church's range?

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atlantic herring
This sounds very interesting. I really like Church's and from my experience my Tauton on the 119 last in betis are absolutely great. I love both the last and the finishing. The leather feels thick but not as supple as G&G. Maybe that could be a result from the coloring process. My only objection is that due to the coloration they don't take a polish as easily.

On the other hand i have a pair of sheldon on the 130 last that i'm not as pleased with. They have a leather/linnen linning wich has resulted in a crease on the cap. To my eyes they look cheap.

I think church's shoes require a bit of knowledge from the buyer especially since they have widen the range. The new city line look awful imho.

But a new quality collection is most intriguing. I've seen a picture somewhere on the internet of what i suspect could be Burghley (the monk). Please enlighten me if im wrong.

They may well be them - the leather looks like the "museum calf" described by another poster. Whatever - those monks are beautiful - clean lines, cut well and finished exquisitely - at least the uppers - pity we cannot see the soles. Where on the web did you see them?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the other hand i have a pair of sheldon on the 130 last that i'm not as pleased with. They have a leather/linnen linning wich has resulted in a crease on the cap. To my eyes they look cheap.

imo, this is not possible, at least hard to believe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
- pity we cannot see the soles. Where on the web did you see them?

that's really bothering... ...omg.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by fritzl
imo, this is not possible, at least hard to believe.

Actually, I also have a pair of Church's with the same lining. The toe is lined in cloth, while the rest of the shoe is lined in leather. The sole looks nicer than most other Church's, though, with a contoured waist.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not particularly impressive and at 620 quid - a fkn rip off.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
SF'ers don't like Church's because they're under the impression that Prada's ownership of the company has somehow comprised the quality of the shoes.

This is true, but I have always read the handgrade was not compromised. Any Church's I have seen were quite nice but they do trashed on SF.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron
Well I guess that settles the issue then. No need for any more facts or discussion. What planet do you come from/live on?
eh.gif
For that price I'd rather have G&G, EG or JL than something with a poor design / last and lack of sole treatment.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a Jodhpur boot, so no. You're right, I would rather have those than these new Church's at double the price.

I have owned Church's, my father used to wear them, and I remember my grandfather plonked a brand new pair of Church's tan brogues with a double sole on the table to teach me why good shoes were worth what was to me as a boy a small fortune.

Needless to say I do not possess an irrational hatred of Church's shoes that many do on this forum. They are good solid shoes, however, in my opinion they are overpriced in relation to their competitors. From what I have seen, if those pictures are indeed the new range, the design looks like nothing special, and the last is not exciting. A pair of good Cheaney's with an oak bark channelled sole for me would be on par if not better than a standard pair of Church's, and compare favourably with this new "Top Drawer" range.

Edward Green and John Lobb, in my personal experience in both wear and feel, blow Church's right out of the water, end of. For £660 I know which shop door I'd be opening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads