• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

spidernight

Reaction score
i see what you mean but if the locations fit and organized right, its barely any effort and you save 30 dollars in this case. but yeah, if locations dont fit then you dont do it because hassle isnt worth 30 dollars.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
None of the selvage jeans are going to say "selvage" on them and Authentic is simply the fit name.

Authentic is a brand new fit so they are not a redesign, simply a different pair of jeans. Yours are the Authentic bucklebacks in what I assume is rigid. Those are not on gap.com that I have seen.

I have yet to see the full line of "elevated" denim in one place in order to give you guys a proper run down, but I will see what I can do next week.

I saw the rigid denim jacket today and it's pretty cool, especially for the price. It will definitely make a cool project to break in. I know I will never give it the wear it needs and thats the only reason I didn't get it.

there is a selvage authentic shown on the gap.com site and they're different than what i have, which is why i made the distinction.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=GOAF112&ap=2

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. burns
there is a selvage authentic shown on the gap.com site and they're different than what i have, which is why i made the distinction.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=GOAF112&ap=2

right, those are the "normal" authentic fit, no buckleback.

In the end, I believe the "elevated" collection will consist of 3 or 4 selvage Authentic fits (3 are online already), 2 or 3 buckle back authentic fits (one of which is your pair) and 3 or 4 straight fits.

Additionally the skinny was a late addition but is appearing in all of the newer ad campaigns. The denim pictured LOOKS to my eyes to be the same rigid skinny from holiday 08 but I may be wrong. The fact they are featuring it in the campaign means new skinny fits ARE coming (aside from the colored skinny that is already online)

I have a Fall 2 book on my desk. I will see if I have the full limited edition run down.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohhai
right, those are the "normal" authentic fit, no buckleback.

In the end, I believe the "elevated" collection will consist of 3 or 4 selvage Authentic fits (3 are online already), 2 or 3 buckle back authentic fits (one of which is your pair) and 3 or 4 straight fits.

Additionally the skinny was a late addition but is appearing in all of the newer ad campaigns. The denim pictured LOOKS to my eyes to be the same rigid skinny from holiday 08 but I may be wrong. The fact they are featuring it in the campaign means new skinny fits ARE coming (aside from the colored skinny that is already online)

I have a Fall 2 book on my desk. I will see if I have the full limited edition run down.

It feels like a different cut to me, but then I'm comparing the new ones w/ a pair of their black skinnies from winter 08. The 08 ones were tight up top and then straight on the bottom (just under 8 hem), while the new ones felt much looser (same waist size as 08 ones) in the thigh and waist but tapered to smaller hem (like 7.5).

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
So with this many people who are in the know on streetwear checking these out, is it safe to say the campaign has been a success?

mr. burns

Reaction score
i'm no denim expert but for the price they feel pretty nice, especially since they were like 30% off. i don't really have much for comparison though. i'd say they're worth checking out at least.

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
Yah, tried it on yesterday. fits just like all other fitted gap shirts as far as i can tell, except the hem is cut a little higher. not a bad shirt, but the plastic buttons were a little offputting.

I finally got around to wearing mine for the first time today and I remembered this comment so I took note....

The buttons aren't plastic, they are in fact metal.

And I didn't set foot in my office for longer than 5 minutes today but I will take a look at the Fall book tomorrow and try to get all the different selvage fits posted.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
It seems like this may be good timing for the GAP, making decent quality denim at a reasonable price during the middle of tough economic times.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i figured gap's skinny fit would make the cut in gq's "best jeans for under $100" feature... now if only i could ever FIND the damn things.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not as much of jeans expert as some of you guys, but I picked up a pair of the authentic fit in the "resin" rinse - not the selvage - and they are very nice. Wore them out Friday for my birthday and got several compliments. They were only $34.50 after the current $20 off promotion.

Didn't actually see any of the selvage versions in the stores here in Sacramento but am thinking I could probably find some at their flagship in SF.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
i figured gap's skinny fit would make the cut in gq's "best jeans for under $100" feature... now if only i could ever FIND the damn things.

+1
I think only the flagship stores have them...?
I went to the Mich ave store and they have them in 30- too loose in the waste, and 28- too small to get into...but of course they have no 29s
and,
Would it be so hard for them to just put them on the website?

Ohhai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'm not as much of jeans expert as some of you guys, but I picked up a pair of the authentic fit in the "resin" rinse - not the selvage - and they are very nice. Wore them out Friday for my birthday and got several compliments. They were only $34.50 after the current $20 off promotion.

Didn't actually see any of the selvage versions in the stores here in Sacramento but am thinking I could probably find some at their flagship in SF.

The Flood store in SF is selling something insane like in excess of 1800 pair a week, so yeah they have just about everything.

cthip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
is the stretching mainly in the waist? anywhere else experience excessive stretch?

yea mostly just the waist, haven't noticed much stretching elsewhere--just keep in mind it's A LOT of stretching in the waist, and it probably took 2-3 months of wear before they were fully stretched.

konadog

Reaction score
i tried on the skinny selvage jeans at the Grove store in Los Angeles yesterday. these run a size or two large. i am a 34 in almost all pants and the 34s were a little baggy. wanted to buy a pair of 32 x 34, but they didn't have any in stock. not sure if they are even making 34 length in any width smaller than 34. which would be crazy, as they are selvage, and brothers like to cuff their stuff.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
yeah ctrlaltelite, the skinny model is only carried at a few stores. makes it a pain trying to try them on.

and they definitely make 34 lengths for sizes under 34, i've seen some. just gotta look around and be patient i guess...SAs can check different stores for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads