1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Negotiating Good Car Deals...

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Sep 10, 2009.

1. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

So if a guy paid full MSRP, service would cut him a deal? [​IMG]

Sir, are you trying to be sarcastic or just playing dumb?

2. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Where's this?

In the Capital of Copenhagen?[​IMG]

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sir, are you trying to be sarcastic or just playing dumb?

Well, I'm working with the material I was given. You decide.

4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Favorite car buying stories.

A friend bought a new Mercedes. He knew the price the dealer had paid for the car and decided how much he thought was fair for the dealer to make over that. There were 4 things he wanted done to the car. He told the salesman what he wanted done to the car and handed him a check for the car saying, " call me to let me know when I can pick it up or tear up the check." He got a call in 3 hours with a delivery date.

I put a deposit on a car on a Saturday and went back to negotiate on Monday. It was midyear on the car and I looked what the same year car was selling for used. I split the difference and went back on Monday offering that price. The salesman got up and said he had to talk to the manager. I told him when he came back I only wanted to hear yes or no, no BS, no counter offer. He came back and threw the keys on the table and scowled at me. I felt pretty good about it.

Another friend bought/ financed an Accura, made one payment and then paid it off.

5. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

I had a week to buy a hot new car with very popular options/color combo.
    (Which wasn't available anywhere within 500 mile radius as I'd learn.)
    So I drive to store X (small timers) where they tell me: Full MSRP, plus however long it may take to special order you desired trim.
    I drive to store Y (small timers) where they tell me: Full MSRP, plus we'd prolly have to do a dealer swap with a store in PA.
    So finally I drive to the biggest local dealership carrying that make.
    The guys says, matter of fact we have what you're looking for coming in next Monday.
    I said, GTFO !
    He goes, I kid you not - then goes and grabs the book to show me what's on the next truck.
    I damn near shat myself [​IMG]
    So I said, could you shave 60% off the mark-up for this deal ? (The balls on me, eh ! )
    I had the invoice @ hand and the checkbook was almost popping out of my shirt pocket.
    He says, lemme talk to the Tower.
    Then comes back and goes, we'd be willing to do 1/2 a mark-up on this car.
    In the end not only have I saved myself a 2 month long clusterfick by the name of build-to-order, but kept 4-figures in my pocket [​IMG]

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I put a deposit on a car on a Saturday and went back to negotiate on Monday. It was midyear on the car and I looked what the same year car was selling for used. I split the difference and went back on Monday offering that price. The salesman got up and said he had to talk to the manager. I told him when he came back I only wanted to hear yes or no, no BS, no counter offer. He came back and threw the keys on the table and scowled at me. I felt pretty good about it.
    What used value did you use, same year or the previous year?

7. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

What used value did you use, same year or the previous year?

It was the same year car.

Last car I bought was last October and in hindsight the timing worked for me. I think the dealers were in "don't know what to do" mode due to the economy. Price I paid is what they are asking presently so it looks like I saved 1 years depreciation.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just wondering. What do people here think the typical vehicle sold in the US depreciates in its first year? 5%? 10%? 30%?

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Just wondering. What do people here think the typical vehicle sold in the US depreciates in its first year? 5%? 10%? 30%?

The accountant in me looks at that and thinks...loaded question.

The dealer will probably depreciate it 20-30% if you trade it in at one year. Then sell it at close to 95% if they can get it. The car is probably worth just north of 90% since nothing will need replacing anytime soon, outside of the consumables, but that's a moving target. The manufacturers also (used to) publish their own depreciation tables for figuring the residual values of a lease, but since they were buying the car back at the end of the lease they could fiddle with the numbers however they liked. Too bad I can't recall specifics on those little beauties.

I think 15-25% depreciation is pretty common as far insurance numbers go, depending on model.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

http://www.allbusiness.com/finance/868133-1.html#reg

The accountant in me looks at that and thinks...loaded question.

The dealer will probably depreciate it 20-30% if you trade it in at one year. Then sell it at close to 95% if they can get it. The car is probably worth just north of 90% since nothing will need replacing anytime soon, outside of the consumables, but that's a moving target. The manufacturers also (used to) publish their own depreciation tables for figuring the residual values of a lease, but since they were buying the car back at the end of the lease they could fiddle with the numbers however they liked. Too bad I can't recall specifics on those little beauties.

I think 15-25% depreciation is pretty common as far insurance numbers go, depending on model.

Yup, those numbers were right in line with my thinking. Best in class, about 14-15%, worse, 25%+ That's not something the average consumer really wants to believe.

I can tell you, from my research due to my upcoming lease termination, the beautiful, phoney residuals are not being offered. I mean, we're talking MBs with 36 month, 15k residuals under 50%, when just two years ago, I was getting 60%.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yup, those numbers were right in line with my thinking. Best in class, about 14-15%, worse, 25%+ That's not something the average consumer really wants to believe. I can tell you, from my research due to my upcoming lease termination, the beautiful, phoney residuals are not being offered. I mean, we're talking MBs with 36 month, 15k residuals under 50%, when just two years ago, I was getting 60%.
    Oy. I wouldn't touch anything with a <50% residual.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Oy. I wouldn't touch anything with a <50% residual.

Nearly impossible to find these days, at 36 months, 15k miles. Check out www.ridewithg.com for great leasing info.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nearly impossible to find these days, at 36 months, 15k miles. Check out www.ridewithg.com for great leasing info.
    Really? Are we talking advertised or bargained down at the dealership. Haven't helped out on a lease in a while but residuals have never been too much of a sticking point. There isn't a wide spread but you can usually negotiate a few points.

15. DNW

DNW Senior member

Really? Are we talking advertised or bargained down at the dealership. Haven't helped out on a lease in a while but residuals have never been too much of a sticking point. There isn't a wide spread but you can usually negotiate a few points.
    You CANNOT negotiate the residual value on a lease. You can negotiate the finance rate (i.e. the money factor), but the residual value is set in stone by the finance company. After your lease is up, however, you can in fact negotiate a buy price that's lower than the residual value. Residual values for cars are in the shitter right now because there's so much inventory floating around, and demand is not going to come back for several years to come. This combination depresses resale values of vehicles coming off lease, and nobody with enough cash (or cojones) to subsidize lease financing now like they used to.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You CANNOT negotiate the residual value on a lease. You can negotiate the finance rate (i.e. the money factor), but the residual value is set in stone by the finance company. After your lease is up, however, you can in fact negotiate a buy price that's lower than the residual value.

Residual values for cars are in the shitter right now because there's so much inventory floating around, and demand is not going to come back for several years to come. This combination depresses resale values of vehicles coming off lease, and nobody with enough cash (or cojones) to subsidize lease financing now like they used to.

What he said. Out of three things in a lease, the residual, the cap cost, and money factor, you can only change the second two. The best lease will be when the car maker is giving a subsidized residual and money factor. Then you beat up on the dealer for the cap cost.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What he said. Out of three things in a lease, the residual, the cap cost, and money factor, you can only change the second two. The best lease will be when the car maker is giving a subsidized residual and money factor. Then you beat up on the dealer for the cap cost.
    I was thinking money factor and confused it with residual. Been a while since I helped out on a lease. I usually tell everyone to buy used. That ridewithg site shows several benz models with 36month >50% residuals. I'm confused.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was thinking money factor and confused it with residual. Been a while since I helped out on a lease. I usually tell everyone to buy used.

That ridewithg site shows several benz models with 36month >50% residuals. I'm confused.

We got a 60% on my wife's ML550, 36 month, 15k December 07.

Riding With G:

I was thinking of a GL550:

Now, the GL450 is at 53%, but I wanted that honking engine in the 550. *sigh*

19. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

My nay-buh has a new GL550. It's a goddamn schoolbus. The guy always takes up a spot and a 1/2 whenever he parks this thing.
    Other than that, the truck itself is pretty jazzy looking.

20. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

In the Capital of Copenhagen?[​IMG]

Serious question. I know it's not so in the capital of Copenhagen aka The Netherlands. Also, I watch Top Gear and know it's not so in GB. So I just wondered if you got your facts straight...