• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need denim from japan? or anything else?

tangerine

Reaction score
Is there any thread thick enough to sew my back pocket shut so my wallet can't get out?

As denim Appreciation goes, this thread is XXX rated!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ringring
Differences:

Fabric - not just the dye, but the natural indigo pair has a significantly more 'knobbly' aspect to the surface of the denim. It undulates. Fantastic, although this is not to everybody's tastes. It's also a thicker, stiffer denim, and hence less comfortable to wear. The crossroads where all the fabrics meet at the crotch is a particularly 'wodgey' area
wink.gif

The synthetic indigo denim is darker, still very slubby (not dissimilar to Warehouse Duck Diggers - another fantastic pair of jeans).

Fitting is similar. Slim, '47 style fit. Front rise around 11". The naturals fit a little tighter in my experience - this may be due to the thicker fabric.

The natural indigo's have thick thread stitching round the pockets, rise, J stitch and inside leg. The synthetics only use this thick thread on the lower rise and the top of the side seams. As stitching goes, I actually prefer the latter.

Even though natural indigo denim seems very tempting, I'm affraid someone like me, who doesn't get to wear denim during the workweek, will have to wait an enormous amount of time to get some wear in and reach a good comfort level. BTW would you size down/up with pure blue models?

Dill

Reaction score
Oh great, now that you posted those pics of the pure blues, you made my decision on choosing one(what I keep telling myself) pair of jeans even more difficult.

ringring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Even though natural indigo denim seems very tempting, I'm affraid someone like me, who doesn't get to wear denim during the workweek, will have to wait an enormous amount of time to get some wear in and reach a good comfort level. BTW would you size down/up with pure blue models?

I'd go true to size with Pure Blue and buy the one-wash. Maybe go an inch higher with the natural indigo pair (ie if a 34 waist by a 35) if I wanted a bit more breathing space.

Don't worry about getting wear on them. They look plenty good, and quite unusual (especially the naturals) just as they are.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i went true to size with the naturals. they are tight but they advised me to go with that size as they are in their most shruken state and will stretch. they don't make a 33 and the 34 was too loose on me. so i went ahead with the 32, my normal size.

i got the same advice at the 45rpm store with the jomons. they advised me to size down to a 31.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xcoldricex, what wallet braid is that black one in the jean pics you last posted? Damn, I like that one, the feathers and the hook. Just curious. I got mine today, thanks again.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
it's a red moon braid. i added the feather, the skull, and the hook. if you want a hook i can get one for you also. the redmoon hooks cost $200+ (silver) i found a cheap alternative. haha.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
oh a request... when sending price requests PLEASE include a link, otherwise i have to spend a lot of time looking for the price of what you want- and it's easier to be sure of what you are asking about when you include a link (if possible). thank you.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
For those hesitating and who wonder how genuine xcoldricex buying service is well I've just received what I ordered from him and am very satisfied with the whole process. His fee is reasonnable, he answers emails quickly and ships without delay. I'd definitely recommend him.

If you're wondering how he got my things so fast you have to understand that I basically started the whole process by messaging a guy on superfuture who's in tokyo and used to provide that kind of service, he's been very busy lately so he referred me to coldrice (derrick). Since you owe it all to me I will accept monetary donation, don't hesitate to message me to learn the many wonderful ways you can use to send me money, I'm very flexible and will accept any amount, now matter how big.
smile.gif

BTW here's what I purchased:
http://www.ladmusician.com/shop/clothes/06SS_07.html
the second coat, in black, size 46 (36 US). It's a tiiight 46 btw so definitely not for everyone. The horsehide leather is buttery soft and the garment is very well made, except for the crappy YKK zipper which I should definitely replace with something of higher quality.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
What's the fit on those Pure Blues?

And are they still selling the Studio D'artisan 103xx ?

Great thread by the way. If Ryu from superfuture could join in the discussion, it would be unbelievable.

ruach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FuumaBTW
here's what I purchased: http://www.ladmusician.com/shop/clothes/06SS_07.html the second coat, in black, size 46 (36 US). It's a tiiight 46 btw so definitely not for everyone. The horsehide leather is buttery soft and the garment is very well made, except for the crappy YKK zipper which I should definitely replace with something of higher quality.
Oooh my goodness. So so lucky. I've really wanted one of those..
blush.gif
xcoldricex: Sorry if this has been answered before, but for how long will you be in Tokyo? I am poor, poor, poor right now, but I would love to get some stuff once I have some money.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to get my hopes up too much as I'm kind of operating in the dark (poor coldrice) on this, but if coldrice is able to which should I get: Loopwheeler crewneck or hoodie. I'll be staring at the ceiling tonight in deep thought over this important matter.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i haven't been able to get to the loopwheeler shop yet but i've been meaning to. when i do i'll let you know- in the meantime, send me an email with your request. for those unfamiliar with loopwheeler- they are high quality tshirt/sweater makers- basically the "japanese denim" of tshirts/sweaters. www.loopwheeler.co.jp

worn down

Reaction score
Damn. That gray sweatshirt on the front page is exactly what I've been looking for. I just hope they make a 100% cotton model.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
i haven't been able to get to the loopwheeler shop yet but i've been meaning to. when i do i'll let you know- in the meantime, send me an email with your request. for those unfamiliar with loopwheeler- they are high quality tshirt/sweater makers- basically the "japanese denim" of tshirts/sweaters. www.loopwheeler.co.jp
Dude, I vote you MVP of the week by far. I am learning more in this thread than I did on my trip to Japan. Of course I was very confused and couldn't speak almost any Japanese, so that's not so surprising, but anyway, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads