• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necro-Posting - Love it or hate it - VOTE

Is Necroposting a good idea after all?

• YES - Less redundant threads = cleaner board. Consolidation is good!

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • NO - Let the dead rest in peace. I don't care what someone asked, answered or bought years ago.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro-Posting - Could it be a good thing?
The possible upside is that topics become consolidated instead of having 1,000 threads that ask the same questions redundantly.
I used to be bothered by necro-posting, but now I see this possible virtue.
Perhaps the newbies are doing us a favour in their innocence?
Please discuss and also vote.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eliminating necro-posting would give people yet another excuse to ignore the search function (less incentive to look up information if the ability to reply is removed).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did someone say necro?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As some of the oldies were great goodies...

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am bookmarking this thread so I can reply next year...

Coburn

Reaction score

Bentley

Reaction score
The problem with necro-posting is that you will wind up with threads that are so long they are impossible to read from start to finish. Posting a new thread keeps things a bit more focused.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with necro-posting is that you will wind up with threads that are so long they are impossible to read from start to finish. Posting a new thread keeps things a bit more focused.

Not true, you just need a little focus... I read 60000+ posts in the thrift thread when I first found it
shog[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Possibly, but we have many active threads that go back years and have never died.
I have often thought the WAYWRN and Thrift Store Bragging threads should close at the end of each year and a new one started. Those 2 threads alone would take forever to go through from start to pesent. With most of the threads on here being mucj smaller, I am siding toward consolidation as a better way.

Bentley

Reaction score
The difference, though, with the WAYWRN thread is that it is an ongoing, active thread. Members post in it every day.

I think there is a difference between a thread like that and one that has been sitting dormant for months/years that someone decides to resurrect. To me, the latter is what I consider to be a Necro-Post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads