• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What I'm trying to get at is there is no scenario where a player of LBJ's caliber goes off for 61 points and it doesn't look "easy" to you. It might look easy to you, but it's really not at all. It took a lot of blood and sweat for him to develop his game to a point where opposing teams decide that giving him the jumper is the best thing to do. You give him the jumper because the drive is much worse. Even so, the long 2-pointer is the worst shot to take in the NBA, statistically, so there is no shame in giving him that if you have to concede something. Saying what he's doing looks easy is really a compliment to his game, although I know you don't mean it as such.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think what all you guys arguingwith idnfl need to do is go to Foo and convince him he needs more than one kind of shoe. :foo:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO defenses have gotten a lot smarter tho and teams do have pretty effective defense against lebron. Lebron said in a interview that he developed a floater to counter Hibberts verticality (ie hibbert was such a challenge to the heats lebron had to come up with new game)

Mark Cuban talked a bit about what his mavs did against lebron. Basically an evolving defense that relied on a changing zone. They ran hybrid zones and the like for awhile mixed in with other things to keep the heat on their feet. Which really worked for them because a lot of their players have high iq and also have this great humble mentality that allowed rick Carlisle to implement lineup changes as he sees fit without a fuss

You can't stop lebron. The best you can do is only give up inefficient shots or force a pass to a less efficient player.

Honestly I think that's a more fun game than when players are allowed to physically crush lebron and get away with it. It's a more nuanced game but it forces players to be intelligent and force their bodies in more agile beautiful ways

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly I think that's a more fun game than when players are allowed to physically crush lebron and get away with it. It's a more nuanced game but it forces players to be intelligent and force their bodies in more agile beautiful ways

Well this just got awkward...

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking of better ways to put it but I figured we're all gay men here talking about clothing and sweaty athletic men playing with other sweaty athletic men

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What I'm trying to get at is there is no scenario where a player of LBJ's caliber goes off for 61 points and it doesn't look "easy" to you. It might look easy to you, but it's really not at all. It took a lot of blood and sweat for him to develop his game to a point where opposing teams decide that giving him the jumper is the best thing to do. You give him the jumper because the drive is much worse. Even so, the long 2-pointer is the worst shot to take in the NBA, statistically, so there is no shame in giving him that if you have to concede something. Saying what he's doing looks easy is really a compliment to his game, although I know you don't mean it as such.

Not exactly. When Jordan put 63 past Boston, he worked hard for it. Melo's monster had a large number of tough contested shots, it was impressive. Harden had a monster recently where he did some impressive stuff. This one, to me, was not. He had some very effort filled games in the playoffs last season when the rest of his team was taking a piss.

In general, the "statistical right thing to do" doesn't make it entertaining to watch. It may make it defensively efficient and is "smarter" basketball but giving a star player open looks all the time is pretty ******* boring.

I agree completely, the guy is a very effective player, he's developed his game to the point where they have to play him this way. Its to his credit... just don't call it entertaining. And yes, it is complimentary. The guy is doing what he does with the rules that surround him and the favoritism he (and others) receives. It's just not fun to watch.

Tennis suffers a similar problem partly because of racquet technology. The game is so fast now that you hardly see that creative, nuanced play at the net anymore and its all so hyper dominated by the serve. Rallies are pretty short too. Players are incredibly efficient on the court, they strike the ball impressively, but I don't watch anymore because its some really boring ****.

Honestly I think that's a more fun game than when players are allowed to physically crush lebron and get away with it.

Another element of the lack of entertainment is the constant stoppages that come from touch fouls. Perhaps a game when you were allowed to make incidental/minor contact and body up to a player would be a better balance, a game where you watch a star work for it. Shooting easy open jumpers all the time? Not so much.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shut the **** up about it already. ****.

Just put me on ignore instead of acting like a stupid asshole. If people comment it means they want to discuss it and its topical, so go *************. I wont be bullied and I'll stop when I'm ready.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like a black hole. :lol:

But all those posts and ....

2h33nn6.gif

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just put me on ignore instead of acting like a stupid asshole. If people comment it means they want to discuss it and its topical, so go *************. I wont be bullied and I'll stop when I'm ready.

No, this is bigger than just this thread. The bitching about modern basketball is pervasive to the point of oppressive and I'm ******* sick of it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, this is bigger than just this thread. The bitching about modern basketball is pervasive to the point of oppressive and I'm ******* sick of it. 

sad part is you guys aren't even legitimately old. it's up to jan libourel and i to reminisce with tears in our eyes about when they tore down the old peach basket.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sad part is you guys aren't even legitimately old. it's up to jan libourel and i to reminisce with tears in our eyes about when they tore down the old peach basket.

As a kid, I went to NBA double headers at the old MSG on 50th St.

Four separate teams played, not two games with the same teams.

Willis Reed was a Knick rookie of the year.

There were visiting players like Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell.

And there was 2 games!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads