Navy suit and white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jcrewsmcknight, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jcrewsmcknight

jcrewsmcknight Senior member

I'm looking for stylish ideas for a tie and pocket square to jazz up a navy suit and white shirt for a wedding. Thoughts? Examples?

Thanks!

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I think a nice white linen square with a red border is tops...I love the look of those...then pair it with a tie that has some read....then, let everyone notice you. [​IMG]

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Navy/white can be paired with almost everything....Free reign!

4. Topgoon

Topgoon Active Member

Navy/white can be paired with almost everything....Free reign!

This!

Those are 2 of the most versatile colours...

With that combo you can bust out that special loud tie or go with something simple, and everything in between.

Aside from your personal style, I guess the nature of the wedding (younger people? very close friends? etc) might play a role in your decision.

5. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

Don't do anything that shows up the bride or draws attention away from her....What you want is something that people will politely comment on to you when getting a drink at the bar or chatting at the reception. I like adding some lavender to navy blue via a tie or pocket square, the red border mentioned is a solid option.

You could also do a grenadine tie in navy (or silver/grey) and a white pocket square with polka dots of a complimenting color to the blue. The tie, if blue, would be "lifted" from the shirt due to the weave and stand out against the suit even though it shares a similar color. The square can be your statement in that case.

6. cascade

cascade New Member

pink or red usually goes well with navy blue.

but I would suggest some introspection.
    what is your skin color and hair color?
    maybe you could match/contrast a piece of clothing to your skin tone/hair color so that your face stands out.

7. viator

viator Senior member

Don't do anything that shows up the bride or draws attention away from her....What you want is something that people will politely comment on to you when getting a drink at the bar or chatting at the reception. I like adding some lavender to navy blue via a tie or pocket square, the red border mentioned is a solid option.
    People say this all the time, but I've never really understood it. What kind of tie could distract people from the bride (and groom) at a wedding? It's hard for me to imagine a conversation like this:

GUEST #1: Wasn't it a lovely ceremony?
    GUEST #2: Oh, I'm sorry. I was so distracted by the gentleman in the fourth row wearing that dreadful pink necktie, I couldn't follow a thing the reverend said.

The bride and groom will always be the focus at a wedding. I say go bold (at least with your tie choice) - it's a celebration after all.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

People say this all the time, but I've never really understood it. What kind of tie could distract people from the bride (and groom) at a wedding? It's hard for me to imagine a conversation like this:

GUEST #1: Wasn't it a lovely ceremony?
    GUEST #2: Oh, I'm sorry. I was so distracted by the gentleman in the fourth row wearing that dreadful pink necktie, I couldn't follow a thing the reverend said.

The bride and groom will always be the focus at a wedding. I say go bold (at least with your tie choice) - it's a celebration after all.

+100%. OP said he has a navy suit and whit shirt. He doesn't have a clown suit! Go with whatever. Pink/red/gold/etc. You will be safe!

9. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

People say this all the time, but I've never really understood it. What kind of tie could distract people from the bride (and groom) at a wedding? It's hard for me to imagine a conversation like this: GUEST #1: Wasn't it a lovely ceremony? GUEST #2: Oh, I'm sorry. I was so distracted by the gentleman in the fourth row wearing that dreadful pink necktie, I couldn't follow a thing the reverend said. The bride and groom will always be the focus at a wedding. I say go bold (at least with your tie choice) - it's a celebration after all.
    It has to do with trying too hard to be flashy and coming off looking like an asshole, it doesn't always mean dressing well, it could be someone wearing a black suit and black shirt with a white tie. I gauge is this way, if you are in a reception photo with bride, your outfit should not end up being what people are taking about in a "That looks awful", or "I can't believe he wore that" type of way and distracting from the way the bride looks. It is a matter of good manners and tasteful decorum. There is nothing wrong with a fun or colorful tie, just don't go overboard with it or look like a jackass, that is my point. I have no concept of what the OP is thinking about buying or what he already owns. You could make the assumption that his suit and shirt choice would mean his tasteful style would carry to his tie, and square, but I have seen a lot of posts on here asking for critical input w/photos that are shocking in how far the car flew off the cliff after the accessories were added to the right shirt and suit.

10. jcrewsmcknight

jcrewsmcknight Senior member

Thanks for the thoughts! I was thinking of doing maybe a striped tie with red in it with a pocket square like this: [​IMG]

11. word

word Senior member

Last wedding I was at I wore dark navy suit/white shirt, white square and a pink tie. Got lots of compliments but I think a regular ol blue shirt would have done better in that specific case.

The white shirt just begs for you to get your most colorful tie out there, so long as it's not obnoxious.

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Green tie looks sharp

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

oh, i dont know. Pick any from these choices : [​IMG]

14. viator

viator Senior member

It has to do with trying too hard to be flashy and coming off looking like an asshole, it doesn't always mean dressing well, it could be someone wearing a black suit and black shirt with a white tie. I gauge is this way, if you are in a reception photo with bride, your outfit should not end up being what people are taking about in a "That looks awful", or "I can't believe he wore that" type of way and distracting from the way the bride looks. It is a matter of good manners and tasteful decorum. There is nothing wrong with a fun or colorful tie, just don't go overboard with it or look like a jackass, that is my point.

I have no concept of what the OP is thinking about buying or what he already owns. You could make the assumption that his suit and shirt choice would mean his tasteful style would carry to his tie, and square, but I have seen a lot of posts on here asking for critical input w/photos that are shocking in how far the car flew off the cliff after the accessories were added to the right shirt and suit.

Fair enough. I was assuming he wouldn't take it to the next level with a fur tie or something crazy like that. I guess the take away is "Don't dress like a jackass, and especially not at a wedding."

15. NORE

NORE Senior member

My wedding uniform is navy suit, white shirt but I usually get a square to match whatever dress my wife's wearing and an inappropriate tie. Like the HF tie I posted in the culling thread.