• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My next suit....

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pinstriped peak-lapel DB suit sounds too flashy for a junior employee. (Whether it goes with the body type is another issue.) Maybe a glen plaid instead, or a herringbone or a subtle windowpane. Even a solid SB suit in a different non-light shade of gray, perhaps with different styling, a different weight, and/or slightly different fabric.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get a navy pinstripe now, then grey pinstripe, then POW later. What if you get a check/plaid SC now and full suit later?

Also, my 2 cents, as a 22yo in finance, don't get a DB. The higher ups will wonder "what the hell is this kid wearing?" You want to stand out because of your analytical skills, not your clothes.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd get a navy pinstripe now, then grey pinstripe, then POW later. What if you get a check/plaid SC now and full suit later?
Also, my 2 cents, as a 22yo in finance, don't get a DB. The higher ups will wonder "what the hell is this kid wearing?" You want to stand out because of your analytical skills, not your clothes.

I usually advocate wearing whatever you like as long as it fits and you can pull it off, but pinstripe DB really is hard to pull off. Anyway My 2 cents about career is that more important than your analytical skills, you need to stand out with your relationship with others, especially the ones who are responsible for promoting you. Not by kissing arse - they can smell it from miles away - but actually establishing a relationship. Getting very off topic here...

jonuiuc

Reaction score
As long as it looks good and you can wear it comfortably and confidently, go with it People may not agree with your choices, but if they think it works for you, there is no issue..

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As long as it looks good and you can wear it comfortably and confidently, go with it People may not agree with your choices, but if they think it works for you, there is no issue..

The people that may not agree are his bosses.

msart84

Reaction score
The cool thing about working in NYC is that there is a lot more freedom to dress the way you want. The average person is more exposed, so not everything is as noteworthy (in a good way)

Yea, after thinking it over, you are correct. I'm gonna hold off on the db for a little while. As much as I can't wait to wear one, I think it's a bit too early.

SC's are not welcome in my office unless its Saturday.

You wear suits everyday at your job? What do you do?

Financial Services. Always meeting with clients and what not. Gotta look fre$h.

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd suggest solids like navy or grey, since you're just starting out and try observing what everyone else is wearing in your office. Try not to wear flashy clothes than your superiors, try to blend in at first then gradually build your wardrobe with subtle patterns.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd suggest solids like navy or grey, since you're just starting out and try observing what everyone else is wearing in your office. Try not to wear flashy clothes than your superiors, try to blend in at first then gradually build your wardrobe with subtle patterns.

Harder than you think.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You firm requires you to wear a suit to project an image. In Financial Services, it is stability, responsibility, etc. Clients don't want to work with a clown or a dandy, both make them want to move their money elsewhere.

When you are the head honcho, you can dress like Gordon Gecko. Until then, when in doubt, go conservative. A 2B Navy or grey pinstripe or even another solid such as a charcoal is the way to go. You can get "wild" with your shirts/ties. And when I say wild I mean a white/blue shirt with a spread collar and a non-solid tie.

jonuiuc

Reaction score

The people that may not agree are his bosses.

That's why I wrote in that second part.. For example, I may not be the biggest fan of widely spaced pinstripes or tassel loafers, but if someone can wear them well and look good, I can appreciate it, even if I'd never wear it.

Plus I give the bosses a little credit. I manage a small group of clerks, and I'm by far more concerned with their work.

Of course you will have to judge if a DB or whatever you are interested in would be off-putting to your clients or bosses. The sort of deviations from "business conservative" that you are considering are not that big, just uncommon. If the worst thing you can do is stand out, than you'll have to decide if that works for or against you. Bad fit, poor cut, ugly/clashing patterns or colors, those are the real sins.

saiyar1

Reaction score
A kid 6 months out of college working in finance would and should get laughed out of the building for wearing a double breasted suit. Don't do it.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He probably wouldn't be able to afford any fancy suits yet so just wear solids first and worry about the DBs and various patterns later on.

atlrus

Reaction score
A kid 6 months out of college working in finance would and should get laughed out of the building for wearing a double breasted suit. Don't do it.

+100 ^^^

And even though I wear mostly pinstripe suits, I find it very odd when people wear them in an everyday business environment. IMHO, pinstripe are leisure suits and one should stick to solids for work. A solid taupe suit is good to have in your closet, as well as light gray. Alternatively, if you are wearing suits at work only, I would look into getting a different shade navy suit (lighter or darker) than what you currently have.

Also, depending on your actual job, you may want to skip the suit buying all together for now and focus on shirts and pants. If all you do is sit at a desk all day long with your jacket hung the minute you get to work, then buy a few pairs of pants and some nice shirts instead, and throw on a sports coat on your way in/out of work.

And finally, may I suggest you measure yourself and do some searching here on the B&S or on eBay? You can get some nice entry level luxury suits for the price you'd pay for a cheap one at Men's Wearhouse...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics