• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Grenson Masterpieces

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
I received my Grenson Masterpieces today from Bennie's. They are the 11.5 B chestnutty antique captoes. They are number 1 on this page. They are spectacular. The service from Chris at Bennie's was exceptional. They shipped last Tuesday via USPS and I'm glad he ships to Canada by USPS. Private mail delivery companies suck. The fit is very good. Perfect length. Perfect heel. Perhaps slightly narrow through the instep. I think the toe-box is not as tall as the C&J 337's. I suffer from odd shaped feet. They are relatively long and pretty narrow, but they are flat as pancakes so the effect it to have an average instep, and narrow heels. My most recent previous shoe purchases have been a couple pair of C&J handgrades in a size 10 E (only width available from London). They are perfect for length and very good in the toe box but the heels are slightly wide. This all makes me wonder if I will ever get a perfect fit from RTW shoes. I think my next pair of shoes, which won't be for a long time after this binge, might be from the C&J Paris store in a narrow width. I've already decided I can no longer purchase RTW shirts and suits. If I have to add bespoke shoes to the list, well, I might need to do something drastic. Like get a full-time job or something. Edited to add: Can someone suggest a suitable polish for chestnut available on the interweb? I have C&J tan and dark brown polish but neither seem appropriate for the shade of these shoes.

shoefan

Reaction score
Depending on ones feet, a perfect fit may or may not be possible in RTW. Each maker's lasts are unique, and even within a maker there is typically a range of last shapes and sizes. Also, note that even in bespoke shoes, the quality of fit is not necessarily perfect, or at least a perfect fit cannot be guaranteed at all times, as ones feet change sizes during the day.

You might want to try some Aldens in their "combination" lasts, which come in B/D and C/E widths designed for the "average" American foot, which purportedly has a narrower heel relative to the forefoot (vs. typical European feet, and therefore European makers' lasts).

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Ah yes, well, when Alden's are on offer for $150 I'll explore the option. I have to say, these Grenson's are about as perfect a fit as I can hope for in RTW.

A few things I've noticed while playing with them;

- They take a polish very well. I put on one coat of neutral polish and they look as good as my C&J's did after 2 coats. Or maybe I am just imagining things.

- It has previously been noted that the Grenson Masterpieces have a half leather sock as opposed to the C&J Handgrade's full sock (I think that's the right term). I think the half sock might be superior as the rougher leather of the fore part of the shoe in the inside grips the foot and sock better.

- I think the Grenson's antiquing is a touch better than the C&J Handgrade's. Slightly more subtle.

All in all, a great shoe at a fantastic price. I can't believe I didn't get any sooner and I am now counting the days until Bennie's gets their next shipment. My credit card fire should be extinguished by then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads