• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My double-breasted jacket

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In light of the thread on double-breasted suits, I thought I'd post a picture of my double-breasted jacket. It's an old Chester Barrie jacket, bought off eBay for a song. I swapped the metal H&S buttons for mother of pearl. I am in my mid-twenties. And the shirt is un-ironed; I just threw it on for the picture.

So, lay it on me. What do you think?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally love it chorse. A slim, well fitting 4x2 DB can be quite elegant. Does it have side vents?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
beutiful

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the jacket but I feel that the trousers are a bit too slim cut for a DB jacket. IMO a fuller cut trouser acts to mitigate the "skirt" effect of a DB jacket and adds needed balance.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Chorse, you look like a pretty skinny guy. That jacket's giving you a lot of fullness around the hips. If that's what you want; great, you can pull it off. Wouldn't work for me.

Tom

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the coat could be shortened just a tad. Also, leave the bottom button undone. (And I'll echo the comments about the trousers.) Other than that, definitely a good score! If the shoulders were more padded or the lapels much wider, your physique wouldn't be flattered by the coat, but this one looks very good on you.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The fullness in the hips is a result of me, not the jacket. I was just born with very wide hips. I think that bringing in the waist may accentuate that too much. Length balance on the jacket may also look better when I'm wearing shoes.
blush.gif

Trousers--I agree. I have a pair of cream herringbone linen that I plan to wear with this jacket in the summer. I was curious how it would look with a more casual cotton trouser. Other suggestions for trousers?

The buttons are from Tender Buttons in NYC. I think they were something like $25 for all 12.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a jacket like this be styled any differently than one that would have the two extra decorative front buttons? Could someone add those buttons if they wanted to, or would it not work for some reason?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No technical reason, as the two "show" buttons are merely cosmetic. If you have a patch breast pocket, it can be a little awkward fitting them in. But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads