My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Michael - nice stuff. Very G&G-esque. Is that a double leather sole I see?

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Hi all, after a wonderfully pleasant meeting with Cliff yesterday, I present the shoes that he's loving made for me. Delivered in time (my birthday).

I'm very pleased with them.

So without any further delay, here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

Clinton, very nice color on those. More importantly, a belated happy birthday to you! [​IMG]

3. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

yes, its a double

I prefer the comfort of a double leather sole when its a balmoral boot

I tried a single sole with my G&G Wigmore...but I've having it redone with a double micro sole even as we speak

4. Pengranger

Pengranger Senior member

Insane!

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting Michael! They look terrific! The only problem is that I now want a pair!

I presume it will be a couple of weeks before you actually get them into your hands. It would be great if you could comment on your view on quality and fit compared to your G&G's. Thanks.

5. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

I have a pair of Bal boots on order myself. Will keep everyone updated.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Truly terrific balmoral boots there. Each time I talk myself out of ordering from Cliff, and then someone posts another pair that gets my attention.

7. Haemus

Haemus Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Michael! They look terrific! The only problem is that I now want a pair!

I presume it will be a couple of weeks before you actually get them into your hands. It would be great if you could comment on your view on quality and fit compared to your G&G's. Thanks.

+1.
    I have a feeling you are not alone with your problem Pengranger.

8. Michael Ay329

Pictures taken with a flimsy 2 mega pixel iPhone camera

I give thanks to the OP who was able to share his Clifford Roberts experieince on this thread and thus begin my own Odyssey

Boots delivered just as I had ordered them

Out of the box, boots fit great...especially considering they are oxxfords and I have a high instep. As a point of comparison, I own a pair of G&G Canterbury boots which hurt my instep out of the box and required some breaking in...and now fit wonderfully

The whole experience with Clifford was great. He didn't demand full payment up front...just a reasonable deposit. All done through PayPal

He responds to e-mails only in less than 24 hours...at times less than an hour

You pay the balance, including shipping (which is the last thing he calculates), when the boots are completed along with the shoe trees...through PayPal.

I welcomed his e-mails with attached photos of my boots in the construction process

The special last Clifford used was made by himself in collaboration with Springline in Northampton, England...he does not use Edward Green lasts. In fact I own an EG 888 last and Clifford's...out of the box is roomier in the tox box area and has more of a chiseled look.

I would consider his front toe last shape to be a combo of chiseled and soft squared. It is less squared than my favoriate last (G&G's TG73).

I will be reordering with him in the fall after I get measured by Springline for my own bespoke last...in the hopes of creating an even better fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Haemus

Haemus Well-Known Member

Pictures taken with a flimsy 2 mega pixel iPhone camera

I give thanks to the OP who was able to share his Clifford Roberts experieince on this thread and thus begin my own Odyssey

Boots delivered just as I had ordered them

Out of the box, boots fit great...especially considering they are oxxfords and I have a high instep. As a point of comparison, I own a pair of G&G Canterbury boots which hurt my instep out of the box and required some breaking in...and now fit wonderfully

The whole experience with Clifford was great. He didn't demand full payment up front...just a reasonable deposit. All done through PayPal

He responds to e-mails only in less than 24 hours...at times less than an hour

You pay the balance, including shipping (which is the last thing he calculates), when the boots are completed along with the shoe trees...through PayPal.

I welcomed his e-mails with attached photos of my boots in the construction process

The special last Clifford used was made by himself in collaboration with Springline in Northampton, England...he does not use Edward Green lasts. In fact I own an EG 888 last and Clifford's...out of the box is roomier in the tox box area and has more of a chiseled look.

I would consider his front toe last shape to be a combo of chiseled and soft squared. It is less squared than my favoriate last (G&G's TG73).

I will be reordering with him in the fall after I get measured by Springline for my own bespoke last...in the hopes of creating an even better fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These boots are beautuful. Congratulations Michael Ay329. May you wear them long with the happiest smile.
    Double sole?

10. Michael Ay329

I now order all of my boots with a double sole. I once tried the G&G Wigmore with a single sole, but I found it to be uncomfortable & am having it resoled with a double micro sole even as we speak

11. banis

banis Senior member

Very nice boots. I like it.
    Where can e-mail address of Clifford Roberts be found?

12. Pengranger

Pengranger Senior member

Michael, thanks for posting the pictures. The boots really do look great.

My bespoke lasts were ready yesterday, so my journey for another pair of Cliff's shoes is starting again...

Very nice boots. I like it.
    Where can e-mail address of Clifford Roberts be found?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=33

13. Michael Ay329

Side by side comparison of the G&G's Canterbury with Clifford's Balmoral boot

G&G's boots are longer and the placement of their semi-brogue line compared to Clifford's makes the eye feel the G&G is longer

Clifford's toe box area feels bigger and this photo shows why

As a side note, Clifford uses a different quality leather than G&G. I will not make an uneducated statement that one leather is better than the other...its just that I notice a difference.

G&G's boot feels stiffer than Clifford's. I personally like the variety...one boot provides more support while the other feels softer.

Obviously with G&G bespoke you can get whatever quality leather you desire...while Clifford has a selection of leathers...for an upcharge, he too has access to Cordovan horse leather and other better quality leathers, for example, when I desired a dark brown calf leather called Black Coffee, he found it and could acquire it for about 200 pounds

I will continue to be a client of both G&G and Clifford Roberts as they both provide a quality product...each with its own strengths. But if the bespoke last from Springline improves the fit of Clifford's shoes even better...its tough to deny he provides the customer with almost whatever designs (within reason), with a bespoke lasted fit and at a value price

[​IMG]

G&G TG73 squared last compared to Clifford's own registered squared and chiseled last
    As the previous picture showed, Clifford's last has more of a chiseled appearance...but I have now realized this might be because his toe box is taller. G&G's TG73 also has a chiseled toe too...just not as much as Clifford's because their toe box height is a bit smaller....although still roomy in my experience

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. banis

banis Senior member

No, he did not.
    I also had a problem when sending him message.
    Just re-type it and not copy. It will work.