• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael - nice stuff. Very G&G-esque. Is that a double leather sole I see?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
Hi all, after a wonderfully pleasant meeting with Cliff yesterday, I present the shoes that he's loving made for me. Delivered in time (my birthday).

I'm very pleased with them.

So without any further delay, here are the pictures.

Cliff_Brogue8.jpg

Clinton, very nice color on those. More importantly, a belated happy birthday to you!
cheers.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, its a double

I prefer the comfort of a double leather sole when its a balmoral boot

I tried a single sole with my G&G Wigmore...but I've having it redone with a double micro sole even as we speak

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Insane!

de0f1b10.jpg

Thanks for posting Michael! They look terrific! The only problem is that I now want a pair!

I presume it will be a couple of weeks before you actually get them into your hands. It would be great if you could comment on your view on quality and fit compared to your G&G's. Thanks.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Bal boots on order myself. Will keep everyone updated.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truly terrific balmoral boots there. Each time I talk myself out of ordering from Cliff, and then someone posts another pair that gets my attention.

Haemus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pengranger
Thanks for posting Michael! They look terrific! The only problem is that I now want a pair!

I presume it will be a couple of weeks before you actually get them into your hands. It would be great if you could comment on your view on quality and fit compared to your G&G's. Thanks.

+1.
I have a feeling you are not alone with your problem Pengranger.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures taken with a flimsy 2 mega pixel iPhone camera

I give thanks to the OP who was able to share his Clifford Roberts experieince on this thread and thus begin my own Odyssey

Boots delivered just as I had ordered them

Out of the box, boots fit great...especially considering they are oxxfords and I have a high instep. As a point of comparison, I own a pair of G&G Canterbury boots which hurt my instep out of the box and required some breaking in...and now fit wonderfully

The whole experience with Clifford was great. He didn't demand full payment up front...just a reasonable deposit. All done through PayPal

He responds to e-mails only in less than 24 hours...at times less than an hour

You pay the balance, including shipping (which is the last thing he calculates), when the boots are completed along with the shoe trees...through PayPal.

I welcomed his e-mails with attached photos of my boots in the construction process

The special last Clifford used was made by himself in collaboration with Springline in Northampton, England...he does not use Edward Green lasts. In fact I own an EG 888 last and Clifford's...out of the box is roomier in the tox box area and has more of a chiseled look.

I would consider his front toe last shape to be a combo of chiseled and soft squared. It is less squared than my favoriate last (G&G's TG73).

I will be reordering with him in the fall after I get measured by Springline for my own bespoke last...in the hopes of creating an even better fit.

e2a1b9ce.jpg

2fd9460d.jpg

eeaec6e1.jpg

f5c3c267.jpg

c1270d31.jpg

4fec87dc.jpg

e28a59d9.jpg

22adf962.jpg

3a9088f0.jpg

Haemus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Pictures taken with a flimsy 2 mega pixel iPhone camera

I give thanks to the OP who was able to share his Clifford Roberts experieince on this thread and thus begin my own Odyssey

Boots delivered just as I had ordered them

Out of the box, boots fit great...especially considering they are oxxfords and I have a high instep. As a point of comparison, I own a pair of G&G Canterbury boots which hurt my instep out of the box and required some breaking in...and now fit wonderfully

The whole experience with Clifford was great. He didn't demand full payment up front...just a reasonable deposit. All done through PayPal

He responds to e-mails only in less than 24 hours...at times less than an hour

You pay the balance, including shipping (which is the last thing he calculates), when the boots are completed along with the shoe trees...through PayPal.

I welcomed his e-mails with attached photos of my boots in the construction process

The special last Clifford used was made by himself in collaboration with Springline in Northampton, England...he does not use Edward Green lasts. In fact I own an EG 888 last and Clifford's...out of the box is roomier in the tox box area and has more of a chiseled look.

I would consider his front toe last shape to be a combo of chiseled and soft squared. It is less squared than my favoriate last (G&G's TG73).

I will be reordering with him in the fall after I get measured by Springline for my own bespoke last...in the hopes of creating an even better fit.

e28a59d9.jpg

3a9088f0.jpg

These boots are beautuful. Congratulations Michael Ay329. May you wear them long with the happiest smile.
Double sole?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now order all of my boots with a double sole. I once tried the G&G Wigmore with a single sole, but I found it to be uncomfortable & am having it resoled with a double micro sole even as we speak

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side by side comparison of the G&G's Canterbury with Clifford's Balmoral boot

G&G's boots are longer and the placement of their semi-brogue line compared to Clifford's makes the eye feel the G&G is longer

Clifford's toe box area feels bigger and this photo shows why

As a side note, Clifford uses a different quality leather than G&G. I will not make an uneducated statement that one leather is better than the other...its just that I notice a difference.

G&G's boot feels stiffer than Clifford's. I personally like the variety...one boot provides more support while the other feels softer.

Obviously with G&G bespoke you can get whatever quality leather you desire...while Clifford has a selection of leathers...for an upcharge, he too has access to Cordovan horse leather and other better quality leathers, for example, when I desired a dark brown calf leather called Black Coffee, he found it and could acquire it for about 200 pounds

I will continue to be a client of both G&G and Clifford Roberts as they both provide a quality product...each with its own strengths. But if the bespoke last from Springline improves the fit of Clifford's shoes even better...its tough to deny he provides the customer with almost whatever designs (within reason), with a bespoke lasted fit and at a value price

b7e57b1f.jpg

G&G TG73 squared last compared to Clifford's own registered squared and chiseled last
As the previous picture showed, Clifford's last has more of a chiseled appearance...but I have now realized this might be because his toe box is taller. G&G's TG73 also has a chiseled toe too...just not as much as Clifford's because their toe box height is a bit smaller....although still roomy in my experience

0c48b8f5.jpg

9b1f6915.jpg

60b402af.jpg

Damien

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for this board about his work.
I'd like to send him an e-mail, but the adress which is on page 3 won't work for me... Did he changed his adress ?

I tried :
[email protected]
but it won't work...

Thanks by advance for your help.
Damien.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics