• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Damien
Hello everyone,

Thanks for this board about his work.
I'd like to send him an e-mail, but the adress which is on page 3 won't work for me... Did he changed his adress ?

I tried :
[email protected]

but it won't work...

Thanks by advance for your help.
Damien.

That's the one I've got and it should work as I've received emails from that address.
frown.gif

Cheers

Clint

fox81

Reaction score
For those of you that have ordered a bespoke last from Springline, how did you go from measurements of your foot to an actual last? How much guidance do you get in picking the shape and design of a last that is not just a mould of your foot?
Do they design it into one of Cliff's existing last shapes, or do they show you some other companies lasts, like C&J 348 or EG 888 and make up something similar?

Discuss

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is becoming very interesting...........
boxing[1].gif

rafatmit

Reaction score
Um, yea. Thanks for that, doctorstyle. What, did Cliff kick your puppy?
confused.gif
frown.gif

wilhelm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
For those of you that have ordered a bespoke last from Springline, how did you go from measurements of your foot to an actual last? How much guidance do you get in picking the shape and design of a last that is not just a mould of your foot?
Do they design it into one of Cliff's existing last shapes, or do they show you some other companies lasts, like C&J 348 or EG 888 and make up something similar?

I visited Spring Line in Northampton a couple of weeks ago to have a last made. The lastmaker took measurements of my feet, and I showed him two different shoes I'd like the last shape similar to (EG 202, AE 5). He compared those to other lasts he had, and I chose one to base the work on.

He also asked whether I've had any trouble with RTW shoes, and I pointed out a couple of things. He immediately understood why these issues had occurred, and suggested remedies. Two of the issues must be handled by the shoemaker (and I now know what to ask Cliff for
smile.gif
, and the third, which he discovered when comparing the drawing to the last, he will handle.

Cliff met me at the Spring Line factory, showed me some of his very impressive work and leather samples, and we had a most interesting conversation about the trade, what sort of shoes I wanted made, what sort of crazy stuff some people around here have occasionally asked for, and his work philosophy. “I want the working man to be able to have something nice”, he said. A much appreciated approach, and a very enjoyable day. (c:

fox81

Reaction score
excellent stuff. do springline hand measure or is it some 3d scanning device?

also, did you go during the week? are they open on a sat?

wilhelm

Reaction score
excellent stuff. do springline hand measure or is it some 3d scanning device?

The measurements are done by hand. The shape of the feet are drawn on a piece of paper. Then the circumference of different parts of the foot is measured and written down on the same paper, along with any specific requirements not apparent from the measurement.

also, did you go during the week? are they open on a sat?

I was there on a Friday. I don't know if they are open during the weekend, but I doubt it. It's a factory. Can't hurt to call them and ask, though.

Originally Posted by doctorstyle
How much do they charge for making a last and how long you have to wait for that?

£198. Three weeks.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it made of revised skin?I can not see any grain on the closeup! The last is terrible,the sole under toe should be at least 1cm upside ground!With this last,you always kick the front sole and slope forward whilst walking!
What the hell are you talking about? If you are a "doctor", have the mental discipline to write proper sentences when you are trying to deride everyone's shoes. You also sound like a bitter little *****.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilhelm
The measurements are done by hand. The shape of the feet are drawn on a piece of paper. Then the circumference of different parts of the foot is measured and written down on the same paper, along with any specific requirements not apparent from the measurement.

Have you got the shoes yet?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fox81...I plan on visiting Springline in November to get measured in person for a bespoke last. I will not leave to chance any measuring mistakes on my part

Cliff is out of the process when it comes to Springline. At most, if time permits, he might meet the client there to show you his leather samples and work...and as a courtesy, might be able to pick up your lasts from them upon completion

Instead of focusing on the similarity of other RTW companies lasts, perhaps you can best guide Springline with suggestions such as rounded toe box or squared toe...or chiseled toe...or as I desire, a squared and chiseled toe box

I'm sure you can bring a sample shoe of a RTW company to show Springline a similar last shape

But why limit yourself to the inferior last shapes of Edward Green when your bespoke last can be best guided by what Springline can suggest and do
tinfoil.gif

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Fox81...I plan on visiting Springline in November to get measured in person for a bespoke last. I will not leave to chance any measuring mistakes on my part

Cliff is out of the process when it comes to Springline. At most, if time permits, he might meet the client there to show you his leather samples and work...and as a courtesy, might be able to pick up your lasts from them upon completion

Instead of focusing on the similarity of other RTW companies lasts, perhaps you can best guide Springline with suggestions such as rounded toe box or squared toe...or chiseled toe...or as I desire, a squared and chiseled toe box

I'm sure you can bring a sample shoe of a RTW company to show Springline a similar last shape

But why limit yourself to the inferior last shapes of Edward Green when your bespoke last can be best guided by what Springline can suggest and do
tinfoil.gif

Thats what im hoping for, some guidance from springline. i dont want them to measure my foot and then expect me to draw them a last shape.

wilhelm

Reaction score
Have you got the shoes yet?

No.

I just got back from my travels and paid for the lasts today. Cliff will get them in three weeks, and then start work on the shoes.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can read English,don't you?I do hope the States provide decent education to the citizens,they should learn how to speak in proper manner!

You are just an ignorant and boot-licking ballbag,if you have decent idea about my criticism,you talk,if not,shut up,don't bark like a wilddog!

facepalm.gif

Don't you have some emails to send out - posing as a lawyer for some dead or deposed Nigerian royalty?

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilhelm
No.

I just got back from my travels and paid for the lasts today. Cliff will get them in three weeks, and then start work on the shoes.

what shoes did you order? did you show him some pics of something to copy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads