My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

...and then expect me to draw them a last shape.

nobody will expect this. but the last shape is a mixture of your foot traces/measurements and your preferred style.

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

nobody will expect this. but the last shape is a mixture of your foot traces/measurements and your preferred style.

i was only worried about this as they're not a shoemaker, but a last factory. im not sure they did any of their own designing

3. Pengranger

Pengranger Senior member

Is it made of revised skin?I can not see any grain on the closeup!

The last is terrible,the sole under toe should be at least 1cm upside ground!With this last,you always kick the front sole and slope forward whilst walking!

I think you should be treated with the contempt you deserve. "Revised skin", clearly you have no idea about leather. Dr Nutter, not Doctorstyle. The shoes are one of the best fitting I've got... I don't kick anything when I walk!

You insult everyone else. About time you put your money where your mouth is...

4. Pengranger

Pengranger Senior member

excellent stuff. do springline hand measure or is it some 3d scanning device?

also, did you go during the week? are they open on a sat?

Fox,

I believe Springline will open on Saturday morning if Michael is around.

For others information, the lasts take three weeks because they are handmade - I believe they are then copied into the last shape you request. Spring Line seem to be quite busy at the moment, and it's great to see such an artisanal firm succeeding.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i was only worried about this as they're not a shoemaker, but a last factory. im not sure they did any of their own designing

sorry, i am not able to bring your worries into a context with the duties of a lastmaker.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't kick anything when I walk!

You really should kick the good doctor's backside! [​IMG]

7. misterdonuts

misterdonuts Member

Thanks,mate.The price is ok,but three weeks definitely are too long,they can make hundreds of lasts during the time.
    You obviously have no idea about last making, do you? There is difference between bulk production and bespoke or development work.

Does your precious little backside work for EG?

Well, precisely, actually. They are last makers, not shoemakers, and they know a thing or two about designing and making lasts. They do quite a bit of development work for all sorts of shoe brands and fashion labels. They will want to know your style preference but might start chuckling if you offer to design one for them.

8. cmavity

cmavity Member

[​IMG]

Don't you have some emails to send out - posing as a lawyer for some dead or deposed Nigerian royalty?

priceless.

And I don't believe he works for EG, other than maybe the janitorial staff. If he did, he might know something about shoes. Pure troll.

9. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I don't mind sticking it to DoctorStyle...but perhaps he can better articulate his comments/criticism

He's obviously a new poster...and right off of the bat, he's negatively criticizing the work of an artist who has been well received by some of us.

I don't mind his talk, especially coming from someone who has yet to explain how his background gives him insight as to how his comments have merit

So DoctorStyle, or anyone else, go ahead, can you better articulate your comments? If not then the unwashed masses at SF, will take care of you (metaphorically speaking) the way Sonny did as in the below link: http://blog.leffot.com/2009/08/09/sonny-had-style/

10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

A few pictures from Cliff of a pair of Balmoral shoes he is in the process of making for me, the final finish is to be very dark brown (espresso). I should have the more photos and the shoes within a fortnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Very nice. Does he finish the uppers before he soles the shoes?

12. meister

meister Senior member

Love that deep big vintage punching on the toe cap brogueing.[​IMG]

13. meister

meister Senior member

The sewing on upper is flawed,this definitely can not pass the inspection of a factory.Some parts are made of belly skin...However,it is ok as a bargain.Enjoy it!

Correct. They look like poor seconds...FWIW.

14. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

agreed! Not for me. In my opinion, you get what you pay for....

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Cliff's shoes look a lot better when he stays away from wing tips. Those last ones are quite nice!