• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must-see stores in Amsterdam, and Rijsttafel

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Are there any stores (shoes, clothing, or otherwise) to see in Amsterdam?
Which neighborhood or streets are best known for clothing (like Madison Ave., Savile Row, Jermyn St., or St. Honore in Paris)

What are the non-retail must-see sites?

Finally, I am interested in rijsttafel. Which restaurant(s) in Amsterdam have the BEST (and least toursity) rijsttafel? I'm much more interested in quality of food than "fanciness" of restaurant.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lots and lots, but since I've only been there for a few days, here's what I saw and would recomend. (not stores per se but things worth seeing)
Anne Frank House (read something before going), The Van Gough Museum (amazing), the Bols museum (across the street from VG, has won design awards), and the red light district (both day and night). That's all I did in 1.5 days. I missed the Reitzig? their best museum and really regretted not getting to it. There's also a Heineken museum/factory, and Rembrant House. That's all I can think of for now.

PS - almost goes without saying but watch your back at all times. The expected social curtousy and assumption that people will not take advantage of you does not apply. Just be aware at all times.
PPS - red lights are hookers, blue lights are ********. "Knowing is half the battle"

Also, for more info check out wikitravel, my new best friend http://wikitravel.org/en/Amsterdam

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Dutchman, been to Amsterdam a couple of times. I don't smoke pot though, and I haven't been to the red light district, every city has its designated hooker-street anyway. The 3 major streets in Amsterdam are the Kalverstraat, Leidschestraat and PC Hooftstraat. The Kalverstraat houses the numerous McDonalds, KFCs, Burgerkings and major (cheap) clothing companies like H&M and Vera Moda. The Leidschestraat is not much different but has more cafes and restaurants. The PC Hooftstraat is the street with flagshipstores of companies like Ralph Lauren and Lacoste, and a couple of other expensive clothingshops.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also commend to you the Rembrandt Haus, The New Church (De Nieuwe Kerk), The Anne frank House (must-see), the Rijksmuseum, though it is under rennovation still, you'll see the master works but much of the building is closed; the Van Gogh (must see)... you can walk all of the canal district in a day. We were last there about 3 days and saw everything we wanted.

If you are a classical music fan, call ahead for tickets to the Concertgebouw Orchestra. the hall is one of the best acoustics on the globe for a hall of its age.

It's not a shoppers mecca, the museum district up by the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh is where the luxury/designer stores are. The street is "P.C. Hooftstraat". It's just a few blocks but has most of the designer labels, Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger etc. Dutch labels include Vanillia , Percy Irausquin and Marlies Dekkers. There's designer stuff on Beethovenstraat too IIRC.

The Maison de Bonneterie is a small mall with a lot of "hip/trendy" clothing though it's largely women's stores last time I was there.

Right on Dam square (find a table n the sidewalk, get a beer and watch the crowds and trolleys go by- fun. And the Dam is where the Bijenkorf is (big department store, and written about by Anne Frank). There's also Vroom & Dreesmann and De Kalvertoren for shopping.

Oh yeah- canal tour: there are the big barges but they're not much fun. IMO, the best canal tour is on the little boat run by Hotel Pulitzer (I'd also recommend the hotel. I -think- you can reserve a trip on the boat if you are not staying at the hotel but don't know for sure. It's a great vintage little boat that seats maybe 6-8 people.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...r_100_overview

Oh- and do see the red light district- it's a very small neighborhood... an easy walk.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Thank you!

Is the redlight district actually worth visiting, or is it just a touristy cesspool?

Bit of both really. Some of it is just hyped up and lots of traps/scams set for unsuspecting tourists (ie, if something doesn't seem quite right just move away/out quickly), but it's also a legit place underneath it all. Also, it's actually more like a neighbourhood then just a street or two. I was surprised just how big the whole area was.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If I was going, I'd be curious to check out Suit Supply, just to see what the quality was like and maybe pick up a knock-around suit.

I've got a SuitSupply MTM suit right here, shoot me a PM for detail pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads