• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovage - Music to make love to your old lady by (fantastic album!)
Darkel - Darkel (side project by one half of the French duo 'Air')
Portishead - Dummy
Pendulum - Hold your Colour
Bomfunk MCs - In Stereo
DJ Shadow - The Outsider
The Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love (so-so IMO)

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mando Diao - Hurricane Bar (Swedish lad-rock)
Pete Townshend - Scoop (world's 2nd greatest songwriter's demo collection)
Novillero - Aim Right For The Holes In Their Lives (Canadian mod-soul-power-pop)
Bjorn Olsson - Lobster (Sweden's Ennio Morricone)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is that new Shadow V-man? How is it? I used to be pretty into his stuff...

I just downloaded some Replacements due to another thread. I don't know if I can get into most of it but "Alex Chilton" is a great song. Should I be killed because it really reminds me of "Jenny" by Tommy Tutone?

Also due to watching Lost in Translation again I pulled out the MBV... still amazing.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Also due to watching Lost in Translation again I pulled out the MBV... still amazing.

MBV... there's a band I could never get into! I can tolerate, and enjoy most other shoegazers though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
MBV... there's a band I could never get into! I can tolerate, and enjoy most other shoegazers though.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan but I love some of their stuff. My roommate used to play it all the time (along with Blonde Redhead, the Smiths, Mum and a lot of electronic stuff) and there were a few songs I really dug.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
nice. one of my fave bands (and records)...cant wait til they come back to LA

Keep forgetting to pick that up. Bring Em In is amazing, I had to keep a sharp eye on that, two of my friends would regularly take turns stealing it from me.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Keep forgetting to pick that up. Bring Em In is amazing, I had to keep a sharp eye on that, two of my friends would regularly take turns stealing it from me.

Mando Diao are great... even if they remind me a lot of a hybrid of Oasis and the Libertines, and a touch of The Jam
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Have you guys heard their latest, Ode to Ochrasy yet? I'll likely get it eventually, but was curious if it was up to par with their first two albums.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Mando Diao are great... even if they remind me a lot of a hybrid of Oasis and the Libertines, and a touch of The Jam
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Have you guys heard their latest, Ode to Ochrasy yet? I'll likely get it eventually, but was curious if it was up to par with their first two albums.

your first point, that's why they're so f'ing good!

your second point, THEY HAVE A NEW RECORD OUT??? WHERE THE **** WAS I FOR THAT RELEASE?!!! thanks for the info, will look for it

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
your second point, THEY HAVE A NEW RECORD OUT??? WHERE THE **** WAS I FOR THAT RELEASE?!!! thanks for the info, will look for it

It flew in under the radar I suppose... even more so than the first two records. NME's evil-eye must have been focused somewhere else that week. The latest Pete Doherty scandal? Razorlight mush? Who knows... I just found out about it last week as well.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to get into this acoustic folk artist named Brett Dennen. He has a song titled "Desert Sunrise" which is amazing, and I encourage everyone to give it a listen if they are able to.

Also have been listening to:

Barzin - Life in Rooms (very mellow)
Aceyalone and Rjd2 - Magnificent City
Lupe Fiasco (love the song which samples the beat from IMonster's 'Daydream in Blue')
Owusu & Hannibal - Living With Owusu & Hannibal

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to

Whitest Boy Alive -- Dreams
Hold Steady -- Boys and Girls in America
The Wrens -- Meadowlands
Beulah -- When Your Heartstrings Break
Elvis Perkins -- Ash Wednesday
Mastodon -- Blood Mountain
The Pogues -- Rum, Sodomy and the Lash

Had a few dreams about seeing the Pogues live recently, from way too close, kind of forced to look at Shane... Maybe I need to go to the dentist.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting together a playlist of badass garage/proto-punk/punk/maximum R&B stuff...

I'm Stranded - The Saints
Clash City Rockers - The Clash
That's Your Problem - The (Dutch) Outsiders
Strychnine - The Sonics
Beat on the Brat - Ramones
Kick Out The Jams - MC5
Search and Destroy - The Stooges
Midnight to Six Man - Pretty Things
Teenage Head - Flamin' Groovies
7 & 7 Is - Love
Lies - The Greenhornes
Biff Bang Pow - Creation

just getting started...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been in a jazz mood of late...

just put in Grant Green, Anthony Braxton, Chicago Underground Duo, Count Basie, and Charles Mingus into the car changer today.

Bandwagonesque, how can you not like MBV? that's heresy.

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics