• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM, tweed addict, Connick and Locke, Sims and Mac Donald

burtonbradstock

Reaction score

If you don't know anything about tailoring, don't go in with a mind to tell the tailor what to do. Go with the house style. The prices seem to have gone up significantly from when I enquired in both only a few years ago - back then it was £850 in Sims & MacDonald for a two piece.

Do be very careful with the weight of the cloth - I had a tweed three piece which was basically unwearable in London at any point of the year.

Why, just too hot?

I'm thinking around 12oz or worster alstar....

Reaction score
Just a thought: you're in London with a £1500 budget (assuming he's still around) George's Tailors 50 Wightman Street is a brilliant shout.

George is old (very old) Savile Row, makes the jackets while his missus makes the trousers. He's a lovely guy, really easy to chat to and his modish leanings means that whatever you get is quite wearable for someone who isn't suited and booted the whole time.

I've had two suits from him. Both fully canvassed, both fitting brilliantly, lots of nice details (by which I mean pockets, button holes etc... not weird contrast stitching or garish nonsense like that).

Three piece, super heavy tweed with x2 trousers was around a grand and that's using some great tweed from W.Bill.
Two piece mohair was around £500 (but that was a few years back).

You can bring pictures or whatever to him. He's very good and easy to talk through details and will go with what you want.

Having had several suits made by regional/smaller tailors George is definitely one of the absolute best.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Wel
Just a thought: you're in London with a £1500 budget (assuming he's still around) George's Tailors 50 Wightman Street is a brilliant shout.

George is old (very old) Savile Row, makes the jackets while his missus makes the trousers. He's a lovely guy, really easy to chat to and his modish leanings means that whatever you get is quite wearable for someone who isn't suited and booted the whole time.

I've had two suits from him. Both fully canvassed, both fitting brilliantly, lots of nice details (by which I mean pockets, button holes etc... not weird contrast stitching or garish nonsense like that).

Three piece, super heavy tweed with x2 trousers was around a grand and that's using some great tweed from W.Bill.
Two piece mohair was around £500 (but that was a few years back).

You can bring pictures or whatever to him. He's very good and easy to talk through details and will go with what you want.

Having had several suits made by regional/smaller tailors George is definitely one of the absolute best.

Thanks, I've already called him to arrange a visit. He's just round the corner actually.

My choices as I see it, are tweed addict, who I'm going to see tomorrow, sims and macDonald at £1600, connock might come down to 2k, cad and the dandy, I'll go and see as well.
Still going with tweed, but having been bombarded with comments about the British Summer, I shall be going with a worsted alsport 370 gms....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a tweed three piece which was basically unwearable in London at any point of the year.

London? it still feels like winter NOW!!! I don't think anyone can wear proper summer clothes in London's weather at any time.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen one Connock & Lockie suit, and it looked quite decent. Never seen a Sims.

Some other options:

1. Couch & Hoskin
2. Castle Tailors / Jon DeBoise (Edwin DeBoise of Steed's older brother)

Last edited:

Macallan

Reaction score
Cad & The Dandy tweed jacket, MTM, Half hand-stitched*, Full-canvass, Jonhston of Elgin cloth 20/21oz

*Half hand-stiched is normally a half-canvas garment; however, because I also purchased a suit at the time, they upgraded it to full-canvass

burtonbradstock

Reaction score

Cad & The Dandy tweed jacket, MTM, Half hand-stitched*, Full-canvass, Jonhston of Elgin cloth 20/21oz

Thanks for the pics. Wonderful jacket, seems vintage....
So fully canvas is the body lining plus the arms?
Finding the right combination of trust, expertise and experience seems to be the key.
I had ruled out catd thinking they were cheap/factory, but seeing this and the bespoke option, perhaps I should give then a shot...

*Half hand-stiched is normally a half-canvas garment; however, because I also purchased a suit at the time, they upgraded it to full-canvass

Macallan

Reaction score
Last edited:

burtonbradstock

Reaction score

No, you are confusing lining with canvas - http://www.styleforum.net/t/269171/canvas-and-suit-construction, read the first post.

Absolutely, thanks for the advise, I look forward to posting pictures of my tweed suit.

http://www.cadandthedandy.co.uk/tailored-suits - this explains the different C&TD options

Go and speak with Cad & The Dandy, you can see garments they have made for other customers; do the same with Tweed Addict. We cannot make your mind up, we can advise you of the options and help guide you; however, the final decision should be yours.

EFBenson

Reaction score
I would go with C&L if the cost is not too great a stretch. you're not just paying for high construction quality, but also an elegant cut. I was impressed by a pair of trousers they made me a couple of years ago, the attention to detail at the two fittings, and the flattering cut of the final product.

a possible option to manage the cost could be to have the suit in a two piece now, and a neutral waistcoat made at a later date.

burtonbradstock

Reaction score
Hi
I would go with C&L if the cost is not too great a stretch. you're not just paying for high construction quality, but also an elegant cut. I was impressed by a pair of trousers they made me a couple of years ago, the attention to detail at the two fittings, and the flattering cut of the final product.

a possible option to manage the cost could be to have the suit in a two piece now, and a neutral waistcoat made at a later date.[/quot
Hi, just to confirm, you're suggesting connock and lockie? That would be my first choice. I'm waiting for a quote from them, perhaps a 2 pce might be better after all....
Just been to George on Wifhtman rd N4.
They didn't really have the time for me, and I suppose for £1000 for bespoke doesn't warrant the personal touch. They suggested that I shouldn't worry too much; just decide what you want and we'll make it for you.
Bit disheartening really.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a possible option to manage the cost could be to have the suit in a two piece now, and a neutral waistcoat made at a later date.

I also think it is very worth to choose their fully handmade operation. Much much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads