1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MTM, tweed addict, Connick and Locke, Sims and Mac Donald

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by burtonbradstock, Mar 16, 2013.

1. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Have you every consider something more luxury? Tweed is not really for wedding unless you are Scottish.

2. burtonbradstock

burtonbradstock Active Member

May I also ask:
    What's the best way to choose the style, cut etc.
    I presume I choose the cloth then we discuss the style, but what options do I have?
    Should I bring in pictures?

3. burtonbradstock

Why don't you rate Sims, it's just that a few people do.
    I'm getting married in Cornwall and tweed seemed appropriate and different, plus, I'm going to wear it when I sing English songs.

4. burtonbradstock

Sims ate charging £1600 for a fully bespoke (although machine stitched) can I get a bespoke suit from catd? I thought they sent the cloth off to Japan or similar?

5. burtonbradstock

I'm p

I'm pretty stuck on tweed for reasons already mentioned, however what would you suggest?

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I will rate Sims cuts a bit better than Graham Browne, they have slightly better eyes and will suggest correction that leads the herd.
    I don't think Cornwall is really cold enough for any real tweed. For a british warm weather suit, it might be good to go tan worsted. It just seems out of place to wear a cold weather garment in a warm place. Personally, I think stroller is the best for weddings, not proper yet not relaxed. Most people should have a well fitted dark jacket, just get a pair of fancy trouser, job done.

Cad & the Dandy still have local fittings, even main construction work is out-sourced (still in UK). You can have Mr. Brown or Mr. Deboise to cut the patterns for you and provide the fittings, both are good at their work.

If you think Tweed are appropriate because of the location and the presumed entertainment, Thats fine. However tweed are meant for leisure suiting and not for these big days, if you ask the majority of members here, you will get the same answer.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. burtonbradstock

Stro
    I will rate Sims cuts a bit better than Graham Browne, they have slightly better eyes and will suggest correction that leads the herd.
    I don't think Cornwall is really cold enough for any real tweed. For a british warm weather suit, it might be good to go tan worsted. It just seems out of place to wear a cold weather garment in a warm place. Personally, I think stroller is the best for weddings, not proper yet not relaxed. Most people should have a well fitted dark jacket, just get a pair of fancy trouser, job done.

Cad & the Dandy still have local fittings, even main construction work is out-sourced (still in UK). You can have Mr. Brown or Mr. Deboise to cut the patterns for you and provide the fittings, both are good at their work.

If you think Tweed are appropriate because of the location and the presumed entertainment, Thats fine. However tweed are meant for leisure suiting and not for these big days, if you ask the majority of members here, you will get the same answer.[/quote

"Stroller" are you from the States?

I appreciate your opinion, and am aware of the protocol. I want something different.

I'll probably choose either 12 - 14oz or worster alsport as a lighter cloth.

I'm really trying to find out the best tailor in respect to bespoke and price descrepencies.

8. burtonbradstock

Are you from the States? "Stroller"

I'll keep looking thanks.

9. burtonbradstock

Ok, my last question: for a bespoke suit handstitched, sims and MacDonald or Cad and the dandy?

Thanks

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

If you don't know anything about tailoring, don't go in with a mind to tell the tailor what to do. Go with the house style. The prices seem to have gone up significantly from when I enquired in both only a few years ago - back then it was £850 in Sims & MacDonald for a two piece.

Do be very careful with the weight of the cloth - I had a tweed three piece which was basically unwearable in London at any point of the year.

11. burtonbradstock

Why, just too hot?

I'm thinking around 12oz or worster alstar....

12. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Go see cad and dandy &see who you prefer. I can post some pics of my tweed jacket from them if you like

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. TimothyLeighton

TimothyLeighton Member

Just a thought: you're in London with a £1500 budget (assuming he's still around) George's Tailors 50 Wightman Street is a brilliant shout.

George is old (very old) Savile Row, makes the jackets while his missus makes the trousers. He's a lovely guy, really easy to chat to and his modish leanings means that whatever you get is quite wearable for someone who isn't suited and booted the whole time.

I've had two suits from him. Both fully canvassed, both fitting brilliantly, lots of nice details (by which I mean pockets, button holes etc... not weird contrast stitching or garish nonsense like that).

Three piece, super heavy tweed with x2 trousers was around a grand and that's using some great tweed from W.Bill.
    Two piece mohair was around £500 (but that was a few years back).

You can bring pictures or whatever to him. He's very good and easy to talk through details and will go with what you want.

Having had several suits made by regional/smaller tailors George is definitely one of the absolute best.

14. burtonbradstock

Yes, if it not too much trouble....

15. burtonbradstock

Wel

Thanks, I've already called him to arrange a visit. He's just round the corner actually.

My choices as I see it, are tweed addict, who I'm going to see tomorrow, sims and macDonald at £1600, connock might come down to 2k, cad and the dandy, I'll go and see as well.
    Still going with tweed, but having been bombarded with comments about the British Summer, I shall be going with a worsted alsport 370 gms....

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

London? it still feels like winter NOW!!! I don't think anyone can wear proper summer clothes in London's weather at any time.

17. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I've seen one Connock & Lockie suit, and it looked quite decent. Never seen a Sims.

Some other options:

1. Couch & Hoskin
    2. Castle Tailors / Jon DeBoise (Edwin DeBoise of Steed's older brother)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  18. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Cad & The Dandy tweed jacket, MTM, Half hand-stitched*, Full-canvass, Jonhston of Elgin cloth 20/21oz

*Half hand-stiched is normally a half-canvas garment; however, because I also purchased a suit at the time, they upgraded it to full-canvass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. burtonbradstock

Gre