• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies with great musical scores

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of Woody Allen's films. The man has great taste in music.

Gutman

Reaction score
Bullitt
French Connection
Dirty Harry

Great stuff, really makes those movies. You could tack on Superfly to that series, but the movie was crap apparently.

For mainstream, anything John Williams - Even the opening sequence of Out of Africa. Star Wars is so big its easy to overlook, Indiana Jones is great etc. Ennio - 'nuff said
worship.gif

Also, check out the soundtracks from the Italian thriller / horror movies they were doing in the late 60s. Some fantastic stuff there, but quite avant garde in parts, and "hard" to listen to in the sense that the music does its job too well.

For something light, Topkapi is cool

Lots of movies have great songs, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Casablanca etc, but I don't count those as "musical scores" because they are stand-alone songs plonked into a movie. The Taratino stuff is in the same basket - just a lot of raiding the archives. Just like advertising executives do. Not the same as new music composed for a new movie IMO.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
!!

I finished Le Mepris. There wer some great quotes in the movie, Jerry was a big douche. Not much musical content for me to work with, though.

Second movie was Bullitt and the one I picked for my first essay. I loved the use of jazz, car chase scene was fantastic, Steve McQueen's shawl collar cardi was very nice. I'm going to start watching movies for the 2nd essay sooner so I can get a few more in. (I'll also go back and download other reccomndations that I missed)

I watched a couple of movies in class. Casablanaca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm glad i'm taking this class as I can now pick up on things that an untrained ear doesn't notice while watching film. It's ******* fantastic!

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think anyone has said this, but the lord of the rings soundtrack is my favorite movie score of all time

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I finished Le Mepris. There wer some great quotes in the movie, Jerry was a big douche. Not much musical content for me to work with, though.
Are you kidding? This was one of the most innovative uses of musical score in cinema when the movie came out in the early sixties. The repetition of the same score over and over as punctuation for the unavoidable denouement and the destructive cycle of the protagonists is just amazing IMO. Not only is Delarue's music beautiful in its own way but its the use of it by Godard that is intoxicating and has a real story-enhancing effect on the viewer. That's why it's interesting IMO as a topic.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's been mentioned a number of times, but another vote here for The Mission. What a powerful score.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Are you kidding? This was one of the most innovative uses of musical score in cinema when the movie came out in the early sixties. The repetition of the same score over and over as punctuation for the unavoidable denouement and the destructive cycle of the protagonists is just amazing IMO. Not only is Delarue's music beautiful in its own way but its the use of it by Godard that is intoxicating and has a real story-enhancing effect on the viewer. That's why it's interesting IMO as a topic.
I'm sorry that's not exactly what I meant. I liked the score and having it as unifying theme in the movie. But I wouldn't be able to write 4-5 pages on one theme. I was actually really excited and had some ideas I wanted to talk about.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I'm sorry that's not exactly what I meant. I liked the score and having it as unifying theme in the movie. But I wouldn't be able to write 4-5 pages on one theme. I was actually really excited and had some ideas I wanted to talk about.

Gotcha. Let us know what you end up writing about.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
I was watching The Getaway last night and I was enjoying Jones experiments quite a bit. Probably more than the film. Well, the middle. I thought the opening was great. Damn you, Sam Peckinpah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads