1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Movies with great musical scores

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by driveslowk, Sep 2, 2009.

1. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

Might be cheating, but "Round midnight" has good music. "Godfather" too. As far as modern "Pulp Fiction" has a very good one.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Jackie Brown

3. jaac

jaac Senior member

"tarantino" basically.

The class sounds like a blast, might have a look for similar stuff in area.

4. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

A couple of ideas for pre-1970. Touch of Evil has a score that's very well integrated with the film, as I recall. Also, and this is the one you should do, Juliet of the Spirits (Fellini). It might be fun to pick a totally cheesy movie like Tarzan or Charlie Chan. The scores probably speak volumes about racial attitudes at the time.

5. cucurrucucu

cucurrucucu Active Member

For pre-1970, Blowup by Antonioni: music by Herbie Hancock. Or Ascenseur pour l'echafaud if you like Miles Davis. For post-1970, I'd say AmÃ[​IMG]lie. That's an example of a movie that relies heavily on the atmosphere given by music.

Trailers:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

A lot of Woody Allen's films. The man has great taste in music.

7. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Bullitt
    French Connection
    Dirty Harry

Great stuff, really makes those movies. You could tack on Superfly to that series, but the movie was crap apparently.

For mainstream, anything John Williams - Even the opening sequence of Out of Africa. Star Wars is so big its easy to overlook, Indiana Jones is great etc. Ennio - 'nuff said [​IMG]

Also, check out the soundtracks from the Italian thriller / horror movies they were doing in the late 60s. Some fantastic stuff there, but quite avant garde in parts, and "hard" to listen to in the sense that the music does its job too well.

For something light, Topkapi is cool

Lots of movies have great songs, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Casablanca etc, but I don't count those as "musical scores" because they are stand-alone songs plonked into a movie. The Taratino stuff is in the same basket - just a lot of raiding the archives. Just like advertising executives do. Not the same as new music composed for a new movie IMO.

8. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

post 70s: Heat

9. JAPAN

JAPAN Well-Known Member

The Sound of Music?

10. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

!!

I finished Le Mepris. There wer some great quotes in the movie, Jerry was a big douche. Not much musical content for me to work with, though.

Second movie was Bullitt and the one I picked for my first essay. I loved the use of jazz, car chase scene was fantastic, Steve McQueen's shawl collar cardi was very nice. I'm going to start watching movies for the 2nd essay sooner so I can get a few more in. (I'll also go back and download other reccomndations that I missed)

I watched a couple of movies in class. Casablanaca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm glad i'm taking this class as I can now pick up on things that an untrained ear doesn't notice while watching film. It's fucking fantastic!

11. Althis

Althis Senior member

i don't think anyone has said this, but the lord of the rings soundtrack is my favorite movie score of all time

12. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

i don't think anyone has said this, but the lord of the rings soundtrack is my favorite movie score of all time

+1

howard shore is the shit

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I finished Le Mepris. There wer some great quotes in the movie, Jerry was a big douche. Not much musical content for me to work with, though.
    Are you kidding? This was one of the most innovative uses of musical score in cinema when the movie came out in the early sixties. The repetition of the same score over and over as punctuation for the unavoidable denouement and the destructive cycle of the protagonists is just amazing IMO. Not only is Delarue's music beautiful in its own way but its the use of it by Godard that is intoxicating and has a real story-enhancing effect on the viewer. That's why it's interesting IMO as a topic.

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I know it's been mentioned a number of times, but another vote here for The Mission. What a powerful score.

15. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Are you kidding? This was one of the most innovative uses of musical score in cinema when the movie came out in the early sixties. The repetition of the same score over and over as punctuation for the unavoidable denouement and the destructive cycle of the protagonists is just amazing IMO. Not only is Delarue's music beautiful in its own way but its the use of it by Godard that is intoxicating and has a real story-enhancing effect on the viewer. That's why it's interesting IMO as a topic.
    I'm sorry that's not exactly what I meant. I liked the score and having it as unifying theme in the movie. But I wouldn't be able to write 4-5 pages on one theme. I was actually really excited and had some ideas I wanted to talk about.

16. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

The Graduate has the best soundtrack because it's all Simon and Garfunkel.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm sorry that's not exactly what I meant. I liked the score and having it as unifying theme in the movie. But I wouldn't be able to write 4-5 pages on one theme. I was actually really excited and had some ideas I wanted to talk about.

Gotcha. Let us know what you end up writing about.

18. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

I was watching The Getaway last night and I was enjoying Jones experiments quite a bit. Probably more than the film. Well, the middle. I thought the opening was great. Damn you, Sam Peckinpah.