• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most important interview of career track...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
well, I finally decided on the navy 2 button Oxxford suit, White shirt, and the striped navy tie shown on the far right of the white shirt photo. I'm just tired of that damned republican red tie. maybe i'm projecting my being tired of the republican party on that tie, but it's time for a different interview tie!

Honestly, the Red Republican Rep tie looks almost like a costume piece for a guy playing a conservative in a SNL sketch!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, I finally decided on the navy 2 button Oxxford suit, White shirt, and the striped navy tie shown on the far right of the white shirt photo.

Is it just me, or is that a lot of blue? Personally, I'd never think to combine a dark blue tie with a dark blue suit (plus dark blue socks!). I don't love the red 'Republican' tie in this application, but if I were confronted with these options, it would be the only choice. A creme pocket square would provide some balance against the red and make you look less like a cliche.

Of course, you could just go with the grey suit.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is it just me, or is that a lot of blue? Personally, I'd never think to combine a dark blue tie with a dark blue suit (plus dark blue socks!). I don't love the red 'Republican' tie in this application, but if I were confronted with these options, it would be the only choice. A creme pocket square would provide some balance against the red and make you look less like a cliche.

Of course, you could just go with the grey suit.

nah, just a navy suit with a striped blue tie-- and i think the bright white shirt should break up the sea of navy blue. I also chose the striped navy tie because it is ever-so-slightly-narrower than some of the other ties (although the robert talbott tie is about as narrow), because the lapels on the Radcliff suit are slightly narrower than average. not much, just slightly.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Foxx...

WHAT HAPPENED?!?! HOW DID IT GO?!?!?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
well, thursday came in two parts:

1) had some time to kill before the interviews, so I stopped into the neiman marcus with a sportcoat i'd squeezed in the suit bag, to get a tie. also, i figured it would be nice to use the changing room there to put on my suit, if they were ok with it. after buying a tie, i 'suited up.....' and believe it or not, the young salesperson I was working with oddly identified most everything i was wearing! it was like a sartorial super power...."lobb shoes, right? that tie looks like a kiton, which we don't carry..." only thing he didn't hit was the oxxford radcliff, which is a tougher one to id by look.

2) the interview. thankfully, I was paired with a stylish african american fellow, who had clearly enjoyed some "overseas pay" in his time! he informed me he'd take care of both interviews scheduled for me that day, and things seemed to go well. I guess we'll see in the next several months, if they pay my flight and accomodations for the "bonus round" interviews
smile.gif

so hard to tell with these cats, but I think it went well and he liked my experience and enthusiasm. time will tell!

In the meantime, maybe I should wear a brioni to church on Sunday for good luck....

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smile.gif
well, thursday came in two parts:

1) had some time to kill before the interviews, so I stopped into the neiman marcus with a sportcoat i'd squeezed in the suit bag, to get a tie. also, i figured it would be nice to use the changing room there to put on my suit, if they were ok with it. after buying a tie, i 'suited up.....' and believe it or not, the young salesperson I was working with oddly identified most everything i was wearing! it was like a sartorial super power...."lobb shoes, right? that tie looks like a kiton, which we don't carry..." only thing he didn't hit was the oxxford radcliff, which is a tougher one to id by look.

2) the interview. thankfully, I was paired with a stylish african american fellow, who had clearly enjoyed some "overseas pay" in his time! he informed me he'd take care of both interviews scheduled for me that day, and things seemed to go well. I guess we'll see in the next several months, if they pay my flight and accomodations for the "bonus round" interviews
smile.gif

so hard to tell with these cats, but I think it went well and he liked my experience and enthusiasm. time will tell!

In the meantime, maybe I should wear a brioni to church on Sunday for good luck....

good to hear it. good luck

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
I guess we'll see in the next several months, if they pay my flight and accomodations for the "bonus round" interviews
smile.gif

Oh no...start planning the wardrobe now!!!
laugh.gif

Yeah...this sounds like a good time to get in good with God!

Glad it went well. The idea of changing at Nordstrom's is masterful!!!

emptym

Reaction score
Good luck! Hope you get the next round interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads