• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morris & Sons, Co. in Chicago - Experiences

Goldglove

Reaction score
I want to give my experience with Morris & Sons and would like to hear what others have experienced there or elsewhere in similar situations.

I recently purchased a Jack Victor Loro Piana 130's suit from Morris & Sons in Chicago. I needed a mid-range suit immediately and couldn't find the right combination of price and fit on B&S. They have a nice showroom outside of the loop and do most of their advertising by word of mouth. They carry mostly suits, pants, ties, and shoes, ranging from Hugo Boss to Kiton and a huge Stefano Ricci custom display.

While I am very pleased with the sales floor service and product quality and price, I was largely displeased with the altering. I am a newly licensed lawyer, under 30, and have gleaned loads of advice from SF regarding fit. I instructed the tailor on the following: quarter-inch shirt sleeve to show, suppress my waist a tad, little to no break in my pants, and 1.75" cuff.

Here's my problem. After waiting 9 days, I returned and tried on my suit to find: my shirt sleeves hardly even peaked out from beneath my suit sleeves, the waist was suppressed but not to the extent I'd prefer, my pants have a full break, and I have 1.5" cuffs. When asking why my originally requested alterations were not made, both the salesman and the tailor combined to respond ...

1) Shirt sleeve - "we measured a standard 4.5" from base of thumb, and you must have long hands, so you should buy 35" shirt sleeves instead of 34" so that they extend onto the meat of your thumb, because that is proper."

2) Pant break - "well, you want the pants to drop just above your back heal and cover your shoe tops in the front; otherwise, they will look too short."

3) Pant cuff - "a 1.5" cuff is about as much as you should wear, anything more starts to look silly, is that what you really want?"

Maybe it is because I am young, maybe I didn't communicate my preferences clearly (although I requested the above ver batim), or maybe I ran in to a shop that is only capable of producing one fit. Despite the fit, I left with the suit, because I need to wear it asap, and am going to take it to another tailor in a few weeks.

I will post pictures tonight, but I wanted to give the thread a head start and see whether anyone has shopped at Morris & Sons and/or wanted to give general feedback.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to the retail experience here.
I can say, outside of our own Despos, the tailoring in Chicago is suprisingly sparse and bad.
There is De Louice is Wicker Park (ive not used him, but a friend did and had a good experience on a Belvest jacket). Ive heard rumors of a guy named Matt in Oak Brook, but do not know how to find him.
I cant believe we are in the 3rd largest city in America and there is only 1 world class tailor (Mr. Despos is amazing though)!

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
I've never been in the store, but know exactly where it is. Anyways....sometimes the more old-fashioned tailors have a hard time doing things a different way than what they think is right. The no-break and 1.75" inch cuffs are more of a "trend" and not exactly something you see on the average guy walking down the street. All of my pants have no break, but most do not have cuffs. Anways, I recently bought a pair of dress trousers at Nordstrom and the tailor kind of gave me a weird look when I asked for no break on the pants. He followed through just fine, but it was definitely not something he gets asked a lot.

I don't see a reason why he shouldn't have done what you wanted since you will be the one wearing a suit. That said, I would move on and take it to another tailor and get it done the way you want it. If you need the name of a great tailor in Chicago, let me know.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I cant speak to the retail experience here.
I can say, outside of our own Despos, the tailoring in Chicago is suprisingly sparse and bad.
There is De Louice is Wicker Park (ive not used him, but a friend did and had a good experience on a Belvest jacket). Ive heard rumors of a guy named Matt in Oak Brook, but do not know how to find him.
I cant believe we are in the 3rd largest city in America and there is only 1 world class tailor (Mr. Despos is amazing though)!

Maria at the Golden Needle is amazing as an alterations tailor. I think Chicago Magazine named her best tailor one year and I know a few other SF'ers that use her. She is on State near Chicago Ave.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goldglove
Here's my problem. After waiting 9 days, I returned and tried on my suit to find: my shirt sleeves hardly even peaked out from beneath my suit sleeves, the waist was suppressed but not to the extent I'd prefer, my pants have a full break, and I have 1.5" cuffs. When asking why my originally requested alterations were not made, both the salesman and the tailor combined to respond ...

Don't let them bully you. Your requests are well within the realm of reason and you -- not they -- are paying for the suit. Direct them to alter the suit to your specifications. If they refuse, demand a refund.

1) Shirt sleeve - "we measured a standard 4.5" from base of thumb, and you must have long hands, so you should buy 35" shirt sleeves instead of 34" so that they extend onto the meat of your thumb, because that is proper."
BTW, this is NOT the way to determine a proper jacket -- or shirt -- sleeve. As for #2 and #3 ... they are about preference. Your preference tends toward mine.

3) Pant cuff - "a 1.5" cuff is about as much as you should wear, anything more starts to look silly, is that what you really want?"
If they really used the word silly, I'd complain to the manager. There are better ways to express disagreement. Clearly they are attemtping to coerce you into accepting something other than what you ordered.

Being a lawyer, you of all people should know how to get what you want. Use your persuasive abilities. Don't go to another tailor and pay again to get what you've already purchased. If the store is unwilling to give you what you requested, they owed you an explaination up front, before they charged you and made the unacceptable alterations.

For the record, I'm not new at this; I'm 60 and have been buying my own suits for almost 40 years.

Goldglove

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and for recommending Maria. I'll consider returning to the shop and taking it up with them. You're right, no need to pay twice for the same service. From now on, I might a suit from them and take it to Maria for altering.

deepitm

Reaction score
FYI, I saw today that Gilt City is running a $400 credit for $160 on regularly priced merchandise at Morris & Sons. 60% off isn't bad.

http://www.giltcity.com/chicago

EDIT: if you invite someone to Gilt City this week and they make a purchase you can get another 40% off (up to $50) on any deal, meaning this will only run you $110. Nearly 75% off seems like a good time to scoop. The Morris & Sons sale ends on Thursday the 29th at noon.

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'll be visiting Chicago at the end of August. How are their prices on Brioni and other canvassed suits? I've heard they have a good discount section.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member