• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

more magazine dreck

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What a pile of crap. At least they were trying -- pulled some names out that weren't completely familiar. And they got Tony. And RJ went on record saying something perfectly sensible.

Too bad they don't note that Edward Sexton, Stella's first tailor consultant and Nutter's foremost tailor, turned against her and confirmed that she is a talentless hack. Henry Rose used to be affiliated with John N. Kent... 6 degrees of Savile Row separation?

sanmateo

Reaction score
fwiw, I've met Lucie. She's actually quite a good writer -- smart, interested in interesting stuff, etc. She does mostly do design and architecture, though...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on her.  I just generally hate this type of piece, because in order to justify precious column inches, they have to somehow make it all seem like "news" which means, more often than not, highlighting businesses that turn out products of questionable value, but that are nonetheless "hot" for one reason or another.

sanmateo

Reaction score
Writers are mostly there to give publishers something in between the ads. The really terrifying thing is that everytime someone writes about something I know about (like, say, the art world or trailer parks) they get it almost completely wrong. This has happened often enough to make me really depressed about the accuracy of almost everything I read. Hence, my advice for all my friends who talk to me about magazines they want to start: first thing you do is get rid of all the writers.

sanmateo

Reaction score
Sorry Alex -- You're already on record as a paragon of exactitude in one of their other magazines. And people always believe everything they read in magazines.
sarcasm.gif
All the other shirtmakers get the free 1/4 inch pass, though.

lisapop

Reaction score
The writer can certainly give the hack fashion writers in America a run for their money. Nicely done. Her name just needs to be preceded by a pretentious first initial, to further impress the gullible.
Grayson

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke EG for $3,340? That can't be right. How much does bespoke EG cost?

Actually, judging by the EG website, that figure looks pretty accurate. The website says that their bespoke shoes start at 1,550 pounds, including VAT. I'm sure this price is subject to increase to the extent more exotic leathers or stylings are requested.

Edward Green bespoke or new windows for my house? Hmm...

Jeff

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bespoke EG for $3,340? That can't be right. How much does bespoke EG cost?
Actually, judging by the EG website, that figure looks pretty accurate. The website says that their bespoke shoes start at 1,550 pounds, including VAT. I'm sure this price is subject to increase to the extent more exotic leathers or stylings are requested. Edward Green bespoke or new windows for my house? Hmm... Jeff
Where on the website do they have prices? Jon.

auto90403

Reaction score
Service pieces of this kind are almost always a joke. My brother writes for one of the three major American newspapers and he says when his paper runs a service piece, the reporter runs around the office asking everyone for ideas and suggestions -- "Hey, does anyone know where to get good Thai food in Topeka?"

Someone will toss out a name -- "I've never eaten there but I hear . . ." Lo and behold, the next day there will be an article claiming that so and so is the best shirtmaker in London, the hottest Czech place in Chicago, the best whatever in wherever.

The process of wriitng service piece is rarely more complicated than that.

Take their suggestions with a grain of salt.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where on the website do they have prices?

Once you get to the site, click on "Bespoke".  There is a discussion of the process.  In the last paragraph, they give the price.

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads