1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

more magazine dreck

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

What a pile of crap. At least they were trying -- pulled some names out that weren't completely familiar. And they got Tony. And RJ went on record saying something perfectly sensible.

Too bad they don't note that Edward Sexton, Stella's first tailor consultant and Nutter's foremost tailor, turned against her and confirmed that she is a talentless hack. Henry Rose used to be affiliated with John N. Kent... 6 degrees of Savile Row separation?

3. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member

fwiw, I've met Lucie. She's actually quite a good writer -- smart, interested in interesting stuff, etc. She does mostly do design and architecture, though...

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on her.  I just generally hate this type of piece, because in order to justify precious column inches, they have to somehow make it all seem like "news" which means, more often than not, highlighting businesses that turn out products of questionable value, but that are nonetheless "hot" for one reason or another.

5. sanmateo

Writers are mostly there to give publishers something in between the ads. The really terrifying thing is that everytime someone writes about something I know about (like, say, the art world or trailer parks) they get it almost completely wrong. This has happened often enough to make me really depressed about the accuracy of almost everything I read. Hence, my advice for all my friends who talk to me about magazines they want to start: first thing you do is get rid of all the writers.

6. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

All I have to say is
    B.S. ... or can I successfully quote that to my clients?

7. sanmateo

Sorry Alex -- You're already on record as a paragon of exactitude in one of their other magazines. And people always believe everything they read in magazines.[​IMG] All the other shirtmakers get the free 1/4 inch pass, though.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

Rank discrimination. Severe pout here.

9. sanmateo

10. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

The writer can certainly give the hack fashion writers in America a run for their money. Nicely done. Her name just needs to be preceded by a pretentious first initial, to further impress the gullible.
    Grayson

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Bespoke EG for $3,340? That can't be right. How much does bespoke EG cost?

Jon.

12. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

Actually, judging by the EG website, that figure looks pretty accurate. The website says that their bespoke shoes start at 1,550 pounds, including VAT. I'm sure this price is subject to increase to the extent more exotic leathers or stylings are requested.

Edward Green bespoke or new windows for my house? Hmm...

Jeff

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Bespoke EG for $3,340? That can't be right. How much does bespoke EG cost?
    Actually, judging by the EG website, that figure looks pretty accurate. The website says that their bespoke shoes start at 1,550 pounds, including VAT. I'm sure this price is subject to increase to the extent more exotic leathers or stylings are requested. Edward Green bespoke or new windows for my house? Hmm... Jeff
    Where on the website do they have prices? Jon.

14. auto90403

auto90403 Senior Member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    Service pieces of this kind are almost always a joke. My brother writes for one of the three major American newspapers and he says when his paper runs a service piece, the reporter runs around the office asking everyone for ideas and suggestions -- "Hey, does anyone know where to get good Thai food in Topeka?"

Someone will toss out a name -- "I've never eaten there but I hear . . ." Lo and behold, the next day there will be an article claiming that so and so is the best shirtmaker in London, the hottest Czech place in Chicago, the best whatever in wherever.

The process of wriitng service piece is rarely more complicated than that.

Take their suggestions with a grain of salt.

15. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

Once you get to the site, click on "Bespoke".  There is a discussion of the process.  In the last paragraph, they give the price.

Jeff