• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I may need to look at a different brand then. Or size up again. I'm used to wearing jeans that are slim, not tight.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will they stretch or shrink in the thigh area?

I would like to buy the new Momo x BO Deep Indigo Skinny Straight but I am hesitant on sizing because I have no experience with unsanforized denim.

I wear a 33 in NF WG and 34 Momo Tights straight.

Thighs

the momo tight straight measure 12 inches in the thigh area but the momo x BO collab has an 11.5 thigh. I am not sure if the .5 will make that much of a difference or if they will stretch out to 12 inches.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thighs will shrink a 0.25 to 0.5" after soak/wash and will likely be hard to stretch back to or further than raw measurements.

Last edited:

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because they are unsanforized?

Yes, because they are unsanforized.

The whole purpose of unsanforized denim is that it will shrink to fit. It shrinks along the whole silhouette, so the thigh area also.

The waist is easiest to stretch because of the fact the cottonfibers are alligned horizontally, this is not true for the thigh (the whole leg in fact). This explains also why inseams are fairly easily to stretch when damp.

Last edited:

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when trying on Momotaro, I should size up slightly in the thigh area?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they are unsanforized?

Yes, because they are unsanforized.

The whole purpose of unsanforized denim is that it will shrink to fit. It shrinks along the whole silhouette, so the thigh area also.

The waist is easiest to stretch because of the fact the cottonfibers are alligned horizontally, this is not true for the thigh (the whole leg in fact). This explains also why inseams are fairly easily to stretch when damp.

thanks for the help guys.

From what you guys are telling me I would need to order a size 36 to accomodate for my thighs.

From what I have read the waist will decrease .5",which means they would be 1" to .5:" too big, not a deal breaker. How much do they shrink in the leg area?

So when trying on Momotaro, I should size up slightly in the thigh area?

depends, are you buying sanforized or unsanforized?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the help guys.
From what you guys are telling me I would need to order a size 36 to accomodate for my thighs.
From what I have read the waist will decrease .5",which means they would be 1" to .5:" too big, not a deal breaker. How much do they shrink in the leg area?
depends, are you buying sanforized or unsanforized?

Well, how much they will shrink is something you really can't tell, Fact is, they will shrink and by how much has to do with certain circumstances in which they are shrunk. For instance, hot soaking denim will yield better results than cold soaking, as will tumble dry them versus hang dry,

The waist will probably shrink an inch at max, 0.5 is reliable, but I expect more, for sure after a couple of washes and the denim has settled.

Shrinkage works very simple... Let's say (you have to use your imagination a bit here), you have to pairs of cotton fabric:

- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -

In this cloth, the yarns are alligned horizontally, when the fabric gets wet and the cottonyarns dry eventually, the piece of cloth has shrunk. Most noticable by being smaller (from left to right).

| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |

Now here we have cloth number two, with the yarns alligned vertically. Yes, the same happens after it get's wet. It shrinks. Only due to the yarns alligned vertically the piece will shrink mostly in lenght (from top to bottom).

Difference between these two is that the waistband, which is sewn on at a 90 degree angle, will shrink most, next to the inseam. Like this:

- - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |

As I mentioned earlier, the waist is easy stretchable due to the tension being being apllied alongside the cottonyarns, e.g. the direction denim shrinks in, instead of against the yarn, e.g. the direction the denim does not shrink in (though getting more compact, due to tightening of the weave). So, while thighs get compact (a.k.a. "shrink") you can't stretch the fabric in this area very easy, because of the 90 degree angle compared to the waist. Stretch here is most noticable when pulling the hems, by accidentily stepping onto them, or intentionally when inseams have gotten to short after wash. Pressure/tension from movement will work sideways in the thigh area.

Long story short. Jeans will shrink, and yes some areas stretch, others don't...

This was more informative than I wished to post at first, but I did it anyway. To answer your question Caltex. Other than the waist and inseam, the denim will generally spoken (if unsanforized) shrink about 0.25 to 0.5 inch along the whole silhouette. Keep in mind, that this is give or take, it has to do with some factors, like for instance the tightness of the weave.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mistral,

Thanks man! I will keep this in mind and I really appreciate the detail.

Most likely I will not buy momo x bo collab because there is more to this than I want to deal with. I still want to find the perfect pair, NF WG deep indigo is pretty close but I have excess fabric in the seat.

A while back there was a picture of a guy and his dog, he had crazy cool fades and the denim fit him perfectly and I have come to the conclusion that I will have to go with unsanforized if I want this effect.

on a side note, I had two pairs of jeans (NF WG deep indigo and Momo Tight Straight deep indigo) hemmed to a 32.5 and I still find them too long. :( I don't want stacks but I also don't want to end up with jeans that are too short. I think if I loose another inch (31.5) they should be perfect.

When does the bunching at the knees go away?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When does the bunching at the knees go away?

I find knee bags to most generally be from tight creases around the back of the leg. As one side of the denim is compressed, you get a ton just sitting there on the opposite side. As it gets softer, it won't be as noticeable.

Don't be afraid of a 36 in the skinny Momo cuts (ie the Blue Owl 003) That's my situation too - 33 WG, 34/36 in 701 model. Waist is still fine. Based on what you're saying, the 36 in Jay's 3rd collab would probably fit your bill.

Rightyow77

Reaction score
I find knee bags to most generally be from tight creases around the back of the leg. As one side of the denim is compressed, you get a ton just sitting there on the opposite side. As it gets softer, it won't be as noticeable.
Don't be afraid of a 36 in the skinny Momo cuts (ie the Blue Owl 003) That's my situation too - 33 WG, 34/36 in 701 model. Waist is still fine. Based on what you're saying, the 36 in Jay's 3rd collab would probably fit your bill.
Argentino,
Have you had experience with the 003 or 002? How did you sise when compared to the 701?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Argentino,
Have you had experience with the 003 or 002? How did you sise when compared to the 701?

No, I haven't purchased any of the BOM00x - I purchased a new pair of 702s right before they started coming out, so I'm set on denim for a while. I do know that in my experience with 701s (in which I went true to size) and in the 702 (in which I sized up 1) things worked differently. Then, I suspect especially because of the nature of shrink-to-fit denim as well as getting a comfortable thigh measurement, that sizing up in the skinniest momo cut would probably be a good idea.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa whats going on with my BOMO003 after warm soak?? I swear with eyes you can't see anything but super dark indigo.
Not that I'm complaining.. in fact, it looks pretty awesome; reminds me of night sky :inlove:

The speckles show only when I take picture with flash on.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads