• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modifying jackets...?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I was looking at this blazer here: http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 I am a huge fan of Yohji Yamamoto, and a cotton blazer at 50% is very appealing. Dark Blue pinstripe with thin peaked lapels and a slim cut is just so attractive to me. In fact, if you knew how much I wanted this blazer, you would probably want to knock me senseless. The problem: I am a size 1 by Japanese standards, and the jacket is size 2. Basically, I'm wondering if since it is cotton, is it easier to modify the suit (as opposed to wool, of course)? I am being far too wishful here, I think, but before my heart is broken I thought I'd ask.

Brian SD

Reaction score
It's working for me. Try Copy Shortcut / Paste in address bar.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would think that the difficulty of the alteration of the suit is likely the same whether it's made of cotton or wool or cashmere (okay cashmere is more delicate and perhaps more care would be needed to work with it)

i would be more concerned with the taking of the thing apart and resewing it than what it's made of

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks, Hermes. I figured that maybe less care needed to go into modifying cotton. I'll run some searches on the forum before I ask any more questions.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Link doesn't work for me either. Yoox is always weird.

I would imagine cotton might be more difficult to alter because of the higher likelihood of needle holes showing if something was let out. If only taking seams in, it might be okay. However any seam that has puckered at all (typical to cotton) will not look right after alteration. So if it is brand new and you are taking things in only, it could work, but after a cleaning I don't know. I'm only guessing, though, based on my (minimal) work with other cotton clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads